You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm 

So I finally got an appointment for a food challenge to dairy. This comes after a lot of confusion over whether I am allergic or just lactose intolerant. My skin test came back as a 5 (which wasn't too big at all compared to my control). Basically, I stopped eating dairy almost 4 years ago because I just kept getting really sick (nausea, lots of mucus in my mouth, like right away) when I ate/drank any dairy (even in some baked things). Then, I had a mysterious allergic reaction (found out my aunt accidentally cooked with butter) where my throat swelled up but nothing else happened...no trouble breathing, no redness, no hives, no itchiness but I took the epi-pen.

So they said that obviously the only way to really know what it is is to do a challenge. I have finally gotten an appointment after finding the courage to ask for one (I miserably failed a peanut challenge 8 years ago and am still somewhat traumatized) but now I'm worried that I might have a reaction not because I'm allergic but because it has been absent from my system for so long (I'm talking no dairy at all...I've treated it like it's ana...like I don't even have "may contain").

Any thoughts? I had the idea (and they agreed) to take lactaid before the challenge so I don't confuse a reaction to the lactose with an allergic reaction but I'm still worried about the fact that it's been absent for so long.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Could it be that you are allergic to milk that has not been cooked?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 am 

There is a challenge for lactose intolerance... it tastes really really bad but it tests for lactose intolerance... they make you drink a glass of something and do blood tests over a period of a few hours... I was never able to finish the test as I got sick before the end so they I was told that the test was inconclusive as I was not able to finish it... tried twice and always got sick... :dungetit

But taking lactaid is a good idea, just to rule it out during the dairy challenge. I have always tested negative to dairy but get terrible asthma, eczema and digestive troubles when in contact with casein... trial and error ruled out lactose, and pointed straight to casein so I've been off dairy for 10 years with still negative tests... but I do admit that I would not have the guts (yet...) to do a challenge. But it is the way to definately know and will try it one day... just not yet :oops:

Good luck on your challenge, hope all goes well :thumbsup

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 pm 

Susan: I have no idea because even mozzarella and some other cheese seemed to be tolerated well but not others?? Or does cheese constitute cooked milk?

Mylene: I don't know if it's the same thing but I did do a lactose intolerance test a few years ago. They made me a drink a cup of nasty stuff and then blow into a machine which told them I was highly lactose intolerant...

I'm so confused haha :dungetit ...but I just hope it goes well...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 pm 

The test could have changed... I did it about 10 years ago... or they may have variations. But the stuff to drink was nasty!

As for cheese, if you are highly lactose intolerant, you may actually be able to tolerate some of them as many cheeses (and yogourt if I'm not mistaken) don't contain (or just tiny quantity) of lactose in them.

I hope it ends up being "just" a lactose intolerance :thumbsup

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)