You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Eating in Mexico
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:33 pm 

We would like to travel to Mexico City and Acapulco. My son has severe peanut/nut allergies. Does anyone know if Mexico labels its food with allergy information? Any ideas about safe places to eat? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:00 pm 

We went to cancun last April ( no kids ). The food at the resort was kind of scary. My husband is allergic to treenuts, eggs, and seafood. Pans used to cook seafood were used for other meats and the staff (who did not necessarily have a good grasp at english ) seemed to not understand what an allergy meant. It was quite difficult with the language barrier. I would contact the resorts you are looking at staying at first. Some cater to families and might be more aware, also common chains such as Hilton, might be better because they might be more aware because of their U.S. chains. There were Mcdonalds restaurants all over cancun. They probably are in the other locations as well. You could contact mcdonalds prior to your visit, to see if their foreign locations follow the same procedures regarding nuts as the canada and U.S. ones do.

Labeling was quite bad. Often stickers with English ingredients were stuck on packaging, and did not look all that accurate. They had been translated from spanish and in some cases the ingredients were not legible. I did not see any may contain warnings.

Mexico is kind of a scary place off resort. You have to be very careful where you eat, even if you don't have an allergy. If your child were to have a reaction...and you get to a hospital...the conditions and care for an allergic child might be really scary, especially if the doctors english is bad. Mexico is not a very well developed country off resort. The living conditions of Mexican people is quite stunning.

Personally if I were to travel with my peanut/nut allergic daughter I would prefer to stick to a primarily english country...like the bahamas or hawaii. You can not bring any food into mexico, so you would not be able to bring any safe treats from home. If you went to hawaii...you could buy food in the u.s. and take a few safe snacks with you. Also, because hawaii is U.S. there would be better medical facilities if you need it.