You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:06 pm 

Our son reacted to yet another vaccine - Pentacel. He had it as an infant so no problem was foreseen yet sure enough he reacted in under a minute. It seems whatever he reacted to has developed since his last Pentacel vaccination. He needed epinephrine after the Varivax and MMR vacines (both have gelatin) but Pentacel has no gelatin.
Has anyone else's chld reacted to this vaccine and what was the cause, there doesn't seem to be any ingredient which stands out.

Brand Name
Pentacel
Common Name
diphtheria - hemophilus b - pertussis - polio - tetanus vaccine
Each single dose (approximately 0.5 mL) of uniform, cloudy, white-to-off-white suspension, after reconstitution contains 10 µg of purified polyribosylribitol phosphate capsular polysaccharide (PRP) of Haemophilus influenzae type b covalently bound to 20 µg of tetanus protein, 20 µg of pertussis toxoid (PT), 20 µg of filamentous haemagglutinin (FHA), 5 µg of fimbriae types 2 and 3 (FIM), 3 µg of pertactin (PRN), 15 Lf of diphtheria toxoid, 5 Lf of tetanus toxoid, 40 D-antigen units of inactivated poliovirus type 1 (Mahoney), 8 D-antigen units of inactivated poliovirus type 2 (MEF1), and 32 D-antigen units of inactivated poliovirus type 3 (Saukett). Nonmedicinal ingredients: 1.5 mg of aluminum phosphate, 0.6% v/v of 2-phenoxyethanol, 10 ppm of polysorbate 80 (by calculation), and 0.6 mg of tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane. Sucrose, and trace amounts of bovine serum albumin, formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, polymyxin B, and neomycin may be present from the manufacturing process.

The stoppers of the vaccine vials do not contain dry natural latex rubber.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:59 pm 

Just to make matters more exhausting our son reacted to Singular tonight?????????? All I can say is what the..............!!!!!!!!
He has had a bad asthma flare up the past few days and with his huge attack only a few weeks ago we are trying to get his asthma under control. It appears to be seasonal issues setting off his asthma right now (why not he reacts to everything else my poor baby) so we gave him his first dose of singular tonight. Our pharmacist can't see any ingredients listed which should cause him to break out in a rash/hives. Luckily benadryl did the trick, it does worry us for tonight though in case with the singular in his system his reaction comes back.
More gray hair, more gray hair and more gray hair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear about your son having another reaction! Poor little guy! I really feel for your family! I really hope you can figure this out. With your allergists help, I hope you can get to the bottom of this. It's very scary and frustrating not to know.

Our allergist was able to skin test our son for the MMR vaccine, and give the dose in the office. They wanted to make sure he had a negative skin test, and then wanted to give the vaccine using the same lot #. This was very precautionary, and I've heard the MMR does not actually have egg in it, but our family doctor was not comfortable giving the MMR to our son due to all of his allergy concerns. The allergists office was very good about this.

I realise your post is really about what could possibly be in the vaccine that your son has reacted to, but I hope this might help for future vaccinations.

Take care.

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Admin

What were his symptoms?

I ask because Fifth disease is going around at our daughters school and she broke out in hives/rash. I thought it was allergy but it wasn't.

Is his asthma acting up? Is he having hives?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 am 

Hi, the reaction started in under a minute from having been given the singular. A red rash/hives over his ears, in his ears, neck, under his chin, shoulders, chest, stomach, hives all down his back. Anything above and beyond hives/rash I am to now use the epipen. I did call the pharmacy to see if being a med. he was reacting to I should use it regardless . The benadryl seemed to work!!! I was up all night though afraid the reaction would come back as it is in his system.

The huge asthma attack was a month ago, there was a 2 week period of uncontrolled asthma so they put him on a nebulizer which seemed to work great. Just when he was going great with a more intense action plan ect. I started going outside as it has warmed up lately. Starting this past Sat. his asthma was horrible again, out lout wheezing and vomiting mucus. He was up all night coughing and if I didn't give ventolin asap i could hear his breathing changing. He would cough so badly tears would stream down his face. When he wasn't wheezing out loud our dr. could still hear minor wheezing with the stethoscope so we knew he wasn't clear. The singular was supposed to relieve him of any seasonal allergies which may be triggering this latest bout. I see an asthma person today for a meeting, but our allergist I have to add has been amazing.

It is like he responds to any foreign substance in his body! He had four contact reactions last week, one was to someone holding him after eating home made tortilla chips Fried and sprinkled with a ' pepper' mix of spices (cayenne, paprika etc.) His stomach and back were all scratched up from a previous contact reaction where he'd scratched. .As she held him his shirt lifted and her hands (greasy from the chips) spread the pepper all over his back and stomach, anywhere she touched he dev. a huge red rash with hives!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God she didn't touch his hands or face.
People need to listen to me when I say......don't touch him!! A mom high fived him last week after I just told a group of mom's NOT to touch him. I explained again that he has allergies, she asked to what and I started my speel with peanuts, tree nuts etc.. She tells me 'oh, I ate a bag of nuts earlier today but I've washed my hands since'. AAAAHH, we took our son's two wrists together so he couldn't touch anything or himself and ran with his own soap to the bathroom. (johnson and johnson head to toe orig. baby liquid soap is ALL I will use on him)
Speaking of soap......I think we discovered the bathtub reaction issue. I received an email back from a major soap company clarifying the first ingredient in bar soap sodium tallowate. I knew it was from animals but wasn't sure if it contained gelatin. Yes it does! Luckily I never used it on him, there must have just been residue in the tub from our daughter's shower which as he bathed got on his legs etc. where he had mild eczema at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:35 pm 

With out little man's history our allergist asked that all vaccines be done in his office. We are a year late for his second MMR after needing epinephrine for the first one but after a year of ear infections (just had tubes put it) I have dragged my feet.
Well thank goodness we waited to go to his office.
The issue has been is he or isn't he allergic to gelatin. Being so young his skin pricks are not accurate always and what he reacts to physically (even severely) takes time to show positive with some things. Our allergist calls this more slow positives than false negatives with young children. He has reacted to gelatin (mmr and other vaccines) but the skin prick was negative previouslly. In Aug. the MMR vaccine skin prick showed a small positive. Two weeks ago the skin prick for gelatin showed positive and today the MMR vaccine and gelatin both show very positive. Thank goodness we didn't go ahead with the vaccine in our Dr.'s office!!!!!!!
I feel like my head is spinning every time we leave the allergist's office. Nothing like this boy to keep us on our toes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:27 pm 

I'm just getting used to the vaccines and everything in them. I worry a ton if my daughter will react to any vaccines. I've heard with her allergy to beef that she could react to the bovine serum albumin that is may have in trace amounts, but so far we've been pretty lucky and had no reaction (though that one isn't really an anaphylactic reaction (yet). I've seen her reaction to the H1N1 vaccine and that wasn't fun at all, she was one of the few that got hives all over from that one. Glad you got the scratch test done before getting the full vaccine just in case!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

First, sorry the little fellow's having such a rough time of it.

Re the Pentacel - wondering about neomycin.
Some people are allergic to it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1718199/
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516045_6

Worth asking the allergist about that possibility.

As for the Singulair, who knows, but def. ask the allergist. Benadryl's not a great solution for asthma, hope they'll get you in soon-ish on a cancellation.

The chips may or may not be allergy. Some of us with allergies have highly sensitive skin. Peppers and chili peppers both contain powerful irritants. Given your little guy's sensitivities, perhaps those substances bother his skin. Still worth mentioning to allergist, given little guy's history, as allergy to peppers is possible. However, that is a common contact (non-allergy) irritant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm 

Hi Gwen, thank you so much for the links.
The allergist saw us in August after the singular incident and he said that our son seems to be just highly sensitive to new things (the singular, new foods - especially fruits and veggies). He said that sometimes it will take trying something a second time..within reason of the reaction of course!! This does not apply to the foods he is highly allergic to but instead things like tomato, peppers, etc.. where he seems to break out in a rash every time he tries something new.
Our allergist re-introduced the singular in a slow oral challenge. We went four days in a row starting with a miniscule amount and by the fourth day they gave him half a packet. He never reacted as badly as the first day and each time he seemed less bothered by the singular. We wouldn't have done this if there was somthing in the singular which could be causing the reaction but the allergist could see nothing whatsoever which should be causing him to react, that is why we went ahead with the oral challenge. So luckily the singular is fine now and he takes it daily.

As far as foods there are only a few I've re-tried. The first time he put a fresh tomato in his mouth he had a reaction of rash/hives all over his neck chest etc.. But now over a year later he really wanted one and I let him suck on a piece and he seemed fine. He used to get rash/hives with banana, but her really wanted one recently and I let him have a nibble. He went a bit red around his neck but he asked again the next day for banana and he was fine. Hard with this little man to know if he is outgrowing some of the more minor allergies or if his body is finally being able to process more proteins without everything and anything making him break out.
Either way I'll take the good when it comes. It helps keeps me positive when dealing with his anaphylactic allergies. :D