You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:00 am 
Site Admin

I've come across the following Canadian Income Tax benefit for those who have Celiac Disease. See the Government website http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/individu ... iac-e.html to learn more.
Basically, if you have Celiac Disease you can claim the difference between the cost of regular food and gluten free food.
Personally, I'd love to be able to claim the difference between soya milk and cows milk for my milk allergic daughter. She drinks a liter a day and it's twice the cost for the cheapest soya milk. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:56 am 

A co-worker told me that you can claim tax deduction in Canada for peanut allergy. My accountant (dad) looked into it and he said if it's fees regarding epipen or meds or something pertaining to the allergy, then you can deduct something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Yes you can claim medical expenses. You can claim your aerochamber too, if your asthmatic.
If you have Celiac you can also claim the difference between the cost of regular food and special diet food such as a regular loaf of bread and a wheat-free loaf , it can be $3-4 dollars a loaf over a year that can really add up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:35 pm 

And bread is just the beginning.

Imagine trying to cook with no wheat and no gluten. With peanut and sesame seed allergies I can buy regular ingredients and make stuff myself. It's time consuming.

I often have to buy brand name rather then no-name. And I usually can't take advantage of sales in the stores.

But celiac goes way beyond that in expense. I definitely don't feel jealous about a tax write-off going to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Jealous is not really what I feel... more like having the same rules applied to food allergies as Celiac.
It's a type of food allergy, (I'm pretty sure) it's gluten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:00 pm 

Susan, I apologize for my previous post. It may have been uncalled for. :oops:

First, Celiac is not an allergy. Though, living with it is similar to living with an allergy. The amount of additional expense is much higher then the additional expense of MOST allergy-fee diets. (I would think a wheat allergy would be very close if not as high, but I'm not sure.)

After you work out the difference in price, you then only get back a small percentage of that difference - probably based on your combined income, same as medical expenses, so in reality, even if they did treat allergies the same, the LEGITIMATE added food expense would be to low to get anything back anyway.

As for my rude response (if it was rude - I'm not even really sure). I came across this post two days after having my son tested for Celiac. I'm kind of freaked about the whole idea of dealing with it (the possible diagnosis I mean) and I just got my hackles up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Aw, don't worry about it. I'd probably have felt the way you did if I was going through what you were going through.
Getting emotionally involved when it comes to our childrens' health is normal.
I don't know if your response was rude. I do think that it is not always easy to gauge the other persons mood when typing messages.
Opposing views are probably more condusive to analysing a situation than similar views as they challenge us to see all angles and explore areas that may not have been obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:03 am 

If this is as heated as it ever gets, these boards are gonna be a cakewalk :) One of my other jobs is moderating this online forum which gets eight times as tense as this, ten times a day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I figure we come here to support and learn from each other. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:30 pm 

I was just told by a Canada Revenue representative "Ma'am, only gluten free diets are claimed under medical expenses because gluten allergies are a lot more severe than other allergies."

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:41 pm 

More serious??? Are you kidding me?

Really though, don't your medical expenses have to be at least 3% of your gross income to even quality at all? I'm not an accountant, but I'm guessing there aren't many people in our publicly-funded health care system that have expenses that high.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm 

Actually, we always claim our medical receipts. Our private policy covers 90% of some prescriptions and 50"% of others. Our prescriptions are still high enough to claim.

Noha, I have learned (the hard way) not to accept answers over the phone from CRA, unless they transfer me to the person that deals with that specific thing. The fact that the person said "other allergies" shows they don't know what they are talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Admin

I'd get involved in changing this but my husband likes to maintain a low profile with CRA. :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:15 am 

I know I mentioned this before but this is the type of thing that I would expect Anaphylaxis Canada and AAIA to get involved in. Aren't they supposed to be the voice for all allergy sufferers?

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 am 
Site Admin

I just whipped off a short e-mail to Anaphylaxis Canada regarding this. :goodidea

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb