You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am 

Susan.. I just talked to someone at Anaphylaxis Canada. She said that what we should probably do is write a letter with the signatures of all allergy sufferers to address this issue and send that letter to CRA. She said that they would listen to a big group of people whereas with Anaphylaxis Canada they just view them as a small organization, they view them as one. So basically, they will do what they can to address the issue, but perhaps we can help in another way. Would Allergic Living be able to help by drafting a letter similar to the one drafted for the Chatelaine Article about peanuts. I think the larger the number the more likely someone at CRA will pay attention.

What do you think?

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:35 am 

I had no clue about any of this.
Quote:
Actually, we always claim our medical receipts. Our private policy covers 90% of some prescriptions and 50"% of others. Our prescriptions are still high enough to claim.
AnnaMarie, how did you go about claiming portions of medical expenses?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:44 am 

BC2007, yes and you can also claim the private group insurance you pay through work if it comes off of your pay check.

You can claim that on Line 330 - Medical Expenses of your income tax return. Check out this link for more info: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... html?=slnk (God, I sound like an ad for Canada Revenue! :freak)

This is what I do every year. I claim all the medical expenses NOT covered by my insurance plan, and then claim the insurance plan payment on the same line. That is how I was told to do it by the CRA reps.

I hope this helps.

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm 

Adding to what Noha said:

I once called CRA about this because our group policy includes a life insurance policy and I didn't know how to figure out how much went for each part -- it's all one deduction from dh's pay. They said to just use the entire amount.

You can only claim the portion of an expense that is not covered under any other plan, either because of co-pay amounts, or percentages, or yearly maximums.

Some claimable expenses:

prescription drugs
prescription glasses (and I assume opt. appointments since they are no longer covered by OHIP)
crutches
ambulance fee
hearing aids
some therapists are claimable
dental charges

I think if I had gotten a doctor to recommend it, I could have claimed the move-n-sit cushion I had purchased for my son for school due to low muscle tone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Drugs - acquired lawfully for use if prescribed by a medical practitioner and recorded by a pharmacist. However, a non-prescription medication that is legally available only with the intervention of a pharmacist may qualify for the medical expense tax credit, but only if it is prescribed by a medical practitioner. Over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements, even if prescribed by a medical practitioner, cannot be claimed.

OK, I'm picturing Cheech and Chong trying to claim their habit! :rofl

Er, um I'm not the only one who remembers them am I? :frightened

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Laser eye surgery- wow, maybe I'll look into this!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 am 

Definitely remember them. :)

As confusing as that paragraph sounds -- remember the epi-pen can be purchased without a prescriptions, but it is claimable if it is prescribed.