Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sons skin test
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:38 pm 

I am so whoa at the moment.
4 weeks ago they did an allergy blood test on my ds who is 3. He tested positive for wheat, caesin, & potato. So the next step is to do a skin test for allergins.

He tested positive to Tomato, Wheat, potato and caesin. He asked if he ate tomato at all and I said yes sauce but not raw. He said that was normal. Joey has never liked bread. He will eat tortillas and noodles but not bread alone. Doc said to avoid whole wheat products. As for the lactaid that WIC got him used to because it was free and he seemed to be fine with he said avoid anything whole milk, lactaid and ice cream but he could still eat things that contain milk just not alot of milk. Since he tested positive to potato an has had a reaction to it that was visable avoid it.

I am at this point. It seems wrong in some way to feed him foods that he may eventually have anaphylaptic reactions to. Not sure what to do or say or how to handle this atm.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject: Re: Sons skin test
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Was this diagnosing done by an allergist?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:18 am 

Yes he is an allergist.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Just wondering what you ended up doing and how Joey is... :popcorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:38 am 

Well we took him off milk but he still eats cheese with no problem but not much. He does not get ice cream but sorbet. He naturally avoids cheesy foods. His behavior has greatly improved. He chooses him self not to eat bread. He will tortillas and foccia when I make it but I don't use typical wheat I use Kamut and oat flour.

My husband did try to give him some potato product and his face lit up like a christmas tree. He didnt eat but one. He does even naturally avoid potato.

So I have been letting Joey choose his foods serving him what he can eat and avoiding a ton of milky things. He won't eat cheese soups but he will eat pizza and seems just fine with it but I don't use a ton of cheese on it. He does eat tomato but only in jar sauce form and even that is maybe once a week.

For now I watch him closely and avoid the foods he has reactions to and serve ones he has not in light to moderate quantities.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Karen, You have so much experience with allergies that I am certain he will do well with you trusting your Mommy instincts! :huggy

Your son may only be 3 but he has had enough experience to know how a reaction feels and he's making good decisions. (some children would not be able to do this- especially if they haven't had so many recent reactions) Good job, Joey! :banana

I imagine that it must be hard at times to feed him foods that he might react to but it's equally hard to restrict his diet any more than necessary. It can be hard be sure of adequate nutrition at this time when he is growing so quickly.

Do you have an Epipen Jr?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 am 

so..........is your son food intolerant? are the bloods tests for IGG?

or is he food allergic, and tests for IGE , blood tests , followed by skin prick tests?

am a bit confused..............sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 pm 

The blood tests did not show but one allergy the skin tests showed many.
Quote:
so..........is your son food intolerant? are the bloods tests for IGG?

No it was a hive itchy reaction

Potato does not enter our home neither does spinach egg plant or raw tomato. Those are ones I do not let near him. He was eating and drinking milk when the testing showed he was allergic to it and he did not show reactions. He gets prossed cheese food and that he eats on his own with parents. He as yet to show any skin eczema or red face or even hives. As for wheat allergy I bake our bread and I use a mix of grains that are very low allergin he still will not eat bread he chooses tortillas.

Is that more clear? I don't want anyone to think I am being flippant with his allergies. I have so many my self that I would rather him learn to avoid foods that make him feel yucky while he is not anaphylaptic to them. *And that is what he is doing*

As for my husband and the potato thing he was in denile I was standing there with epi.

We have epi jrs at least 4 in the house. One in the babys diaper bag and one in my purse along with my epi pins.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 pm 

so , your son is one of the new generation of children that has food intolerances as well as food allergies, as in classic food allergies?

so the food that came up as postitive without reactions were the ongoing intolerant reactions, but the ones that show classic symptoms , such as hives (minor hives?) are signs of possible future reactions, hence the epi pens?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:36 pm 

spinach eggplant both cause anapylaxis. I have doubt after the last potato bit he will need an epi for the next incounter.

wheat and milk he avoids and tested pos for on a skin test (get huge hives) so I would asume those are the intolerants you are talking about. :swing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm 

arent allergies confusing.?.........cos, hives are a ige response, not intolerance.............hives on own can happen obviously in sensitive skin type people,(without food allergies) for instance, some people can have more ' histamine' on skin surface, so a encounter with tomatos, etc can lead to hives, etc.

intolerance, as far as i understand it, can cause lots of symptoms, ezcema, etc, but in general the proteins seem , in children esp to irritate the valve at the top of stomach, hence a vomiting type , gassy infant ,with huge amounts of heartburn, and pain, and then sometimes the protien attacks the lining of the ***.
which is incrediably painful, and even though normal stools can be passed, because of the huge amount of nerve endings in the bowel, (more than brain) pain is pretty much at a high level. can also, if not treated for long cause damage to gut lining, and in turn lead to other foods lessening abilty to absorb properly.
some children with long term untreated intolerant can have chest pain, from molecules of poorly digested food entering system, and also are of cause, from freqent vomiting after meals have terrible back teeth. like someone with eating disorder...

hives, can happen in those with other allergic disease, such as asthma, allergies to hay fever, for rare people , who , like my hubby cant sit in grass, without a hivey wheeze episode...............

how does your immunologist explain the difference?
does he/she think that rateing is low enough to be less of an issue? and if so, did they consider a food challenge (or have you had some already?) before adding food safely into diet.
what points to intolerance, rather than ige?
or is he/she judgeing that you are getting a false positive from testing?

allergies can be really complicated, so sorry for the questions, but admitedly am really obsessed with them, ..........due mainly to our multiple food allergic child, and list constantly changing over the years. i always like to hear opinons from differing docs!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 pm 

I don't mind intelligent questions. I just hope I can answer them well. I should explain that 2 1/2 years ago I developed allergies. Anaphylaxis to the following....
BLEACH, ERY-TAB, SORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, PINEAPPLE,
ERYTHROMYCIN, NUTS & ALL NUT PRODUCTS, FIGS,
CINNAMON, BETA CAROTENE, PEANUTS & BY-PRODUCTS,
SHELLFISH, PORK, BANANAS, STRAWBERRIES, TOMATOES,
SCENTED CANDLES, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, MANGO, CARROTS,
SCENTED AIR FRESHENERS & CLEANERS, PEACHES,
POTATOES, ORANGES, FISH, POLYSORBATES, RAISINS, RICE,
PERFUME, SODIUM NITRITE, CLOVE

One day I could eat peanuts the next day I ate one and itched all over. Allergiest just said avoid and gave me an epi pen. Later when scents and shoping became hard physically with me ending up in the ER because I could not breathe I was given a nebulizer.
This is one reason I never force a child to eat anythhing as I was forced to eat oranges even though
I got itchy mouth as a child. This is also why I am treating my sons allergies the way I am.
I do not take Joseph to the allergist any more. Why? They don't have any treatments or answers. In fact I think I know more about my son then he did. I knew more about and reactions then the nutritionist did lol.

I consider my sons lack of interest in bread a positive. As well as his lack of interst in milk. HE got hives during testing with milk, potato sweet and white, spinach, and tomato. He got a negitive with egg plant however. I took him to get testing because he had an anaphylapic reation to egg plant. I don't think he is getting damamged from eating the amounts of dairy and wheat he is ingesting.

As for what the Doctor said... Avoid what he reacts to take him off high milk. High milk meaning liquid and high concentratre milk products. Don't feed him whole grain bread. Said he could continue eating tomato as long as it was not raw. I don't put much confidence in the Doctors where allergies are concerned I think they learing as they go. Since I feel that way... I sort of feel like I know more then they do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 am 

wow!

i bet you missed two allergies of your list, tree pollen, and dustmite!

my son had a mystery reaction just last week (we have had four this year in the last two months) after eating a bread roll and sausage............which, for my son , considered very low risk.
however son reported that it had sesame seeds on, something he does eat, and has not had any problems with......but, bearing in mind that we have had to add, to his list, the usual hard way. am wondering.........so am trying to organise a rast test with gp. am also aware that the blood tests are less reliable than spt,...........but then so does spt. so want to do both, to see if we can get a clearer picture of the problem.

have not stopped my son from eating bread, that i buy and check, and he has had no problems with it.
they stick a lot of stuff in to bread these days!

we do bang our head in frustration with the immunologists we see, but use them for the testing, and for exploring which new allergen is causing the problem.

our own immunlogist is pretty cool, and is happy to explain things to us and son, and is more open minded than some. its the others at the clinic that sometimes dont understand our rather frustrating lives, often a case of them not living in a allergy world themselves.

we never give /re introduce any food unless we get a food challenge, in a hosptial setting, and are lucky we have got that service, (lucky that we live near the only few pead full time clinics in uk), and ask how we can get it included in to diet.

we also have been unlucky enough to have passed a food challenge, but for it to re- introduce two years later, which is, in part , because of our sons lack of willing to include it in diet regularly in differing forms.

my son is ige allergic, and only food intolerant sign we have is when, like a young childs bowel he consumes too much choc and sugar and has to dash of to the bathroom!

teen hormones i think are really playing a part in our allergy world at the moment, that and growth spurt, so have had him tested for iron levels today.

your sons reactions to wheat and milk are rast tested? so thats ige, and really if they can eat small amounts without problem, perhaps that because he now can? does he have any intolerant symptoms?

oh, and really odd question.....when your boy was younger , did he SNIFF his food when offered? and then refuse it? and did it turn out that the food contained his allergens?

asking only because , even today, at 14 , a bit of a sniff goes on, and often when he was little , i thought he looked most monkey like..........but , he was always right to refuse, as did turn out that refusal was because he WAS allergic to it.

are you thinking of taking son back to immunologist when he is 18 or so? so that he can ask for repeat testing, and ask questions himself before he steps fully in to the adult world?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 am 

My Joey is 3 years old and he sniffs everything he is going to consume. Yes, wheat and milk where rast tested. He shows no interant symptoms. He probubly won't do a repeat testing. What I do for my self when I try a new food is sit int he ER Parking lot with epi in hand. :freak ya I know. I have never had to go in or use my epi pen. I would probubly do a challenge at our childrens hospital our allergist is dead set against those at his office.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 pm 

Skin and blood testing is only 50% accurate and isn't supposed to be used alone to diagnose a food allergy, esp if the person has been eating the food just fine. If you have the type of food allergy that you can do a skin or blood test for you can't eat that food at all. The fact that your child can eat some of those foods means your child most-likely is NOT allergic to those foods. You would see reactions to those foods if your child were allergic to them.

I'd be seeing a 2nd opinion allergist asap.