* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: acorns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:17 pm 

Are acorns considered tree nuts?

Post subject: Re: acorns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:16 pm 

Information is so confusing to read because it talks about the nut and flesh etc. of the acorn. I did find this on an allergy website with a link to an article from FAAN. This is talking about handling acorns NOT eating them. I wonder though about when kids come across the acorns which are broken open....could that cause skin irritation or a reaction????

Quote:
Acorns are nuts from oak trees so they do qualify as a tree nut. However, check out this link from FAAN: -according to them, it says kids with tree nut allergies don't have to avoid these objects. http://www.schoolhealthservicesny.com/u ... econes.pdf

Quote:
There have been no scientific papers or case reports of allergic reactions associated with skin exposure to acorns or pine cones. Based on consultations with my peers,we comfortably recommend that people with a nut allergy should be able to have contact with acorns or pine cones without risk of an allergic reaction. There is no information in the literature that suggests that individuals with a nut allergy should avoid skin contact with acorns or pine cones. Some people do experience allergic reactions when they ingest pine nuts, but the pine cone is made up of different proteins, and handling the pine cone should not cause an allergic reaction.
Lynn Christie, M.S., R.D., is clinical coordinator, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Division, Arkansas
Children’s Hospital, University of Arkansas Medical Science, Little Rock, Ark. She is also a member of FAAN’s
Program Committee

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: acorns
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:23 pm 

I was wondering the same thing while on the playground at work the other day. A student brought me an acorn that was broken open. She tried to hand it to me and since I wasn't sure I told her she could keep it. Our playground if full of acorns. So good to know that I probably don't have to worry about touching them.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure