You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:26 am 

I had managed to keep Easter safe so far (knock on wood), sending safe treats for my kids at school. avoiding handouts in public places etc etc...This morning, after putting eggs in the backyard, I went out on the front step and saw that someone had puteaster treats (mini caramel & easter creme eggs etc.) on our front step, along the window and in plant pots. It made me very nervous and I was gathering them up so that my kids didn't find them (thinking - doesn't everyone who knows us know how CRAZY we are with food ONLY FROM HOME???). Anyhow, as I was getting a bunch of eggs (& a fortune cookie (?)) out of a plant pot there was a peanut in the shell in with the chocolates.

It made my heart stop.

DH thinks it was probably a cat or squirrel, and normally I would think so to, but it was SO CREEPY to have it in with the candy.

I'm scared for my kids, my mind is racing thinking who might be 'out to get us'. I know it it common to find peanuts here and there, but this was very wierd. In fact, I was just moving the pots around yesterday and would have noticed a large intact peanut shell siting on top of one of them.

I know people here will understand how I feel. WHat a way to start Easter Sunday. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Who leaves candies for like that? :frightened
I'm so sorry that your Easter had a bad start!
I find peanut shells around our place, too. I'm sure they're from the squirrels, but I can understand your worry in light of the candies.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Becky, really hope Easter is improving! What a lousy start to a happy family day.

My suspicion: this was probably someone well-meaning who "forgot" about the allergies.
I can't tell you how many people offered me Easter goodies at offices in the past week. It's usually on business with Allergic Living, I usually just say, "thanks, but I can't eat those because of my allergies." You should see the quickly reddened faces when the penny quickly drops - 'right, she has peanut, soy allergies'. People love to give treats on special occasions, and seem, at times, to blank on allergies in their zeal. (Which is why allergy-proofing kids is so important.)

Re the peanut shell. The squirrels are really active right now with warm weather across the country - I would almost bet on it being a squirrel. They do, unfortunately, move the darn things around.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:13 pm 

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify, it wasn't just a shell, but an intact double peanut, shell & nuts.

I really want to find out who left the chocolates, and if they left the nuts too or it was already there somehow. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

I do understand how you feel. The day I was diagnosed with adult-onset peanut allergy (following anaphylaxis, so not a total surprise), I came home to find an open, empty jar of peanut butter in my garden. It was squirrels getting into a neighbours' recycling bin, but the coincidence was pretty creepy.

Maybe check around with other neighbours with kids to see if they also got these "treats" - and if they have any idea who the rocket scientist was.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 am 

Becky, I would freak out too!!!! Some neighbor thought they were being thoughtful and your kids 'secret' Easter bunny (who apparently likes fortune cookies :scratchy ). What they didn't and realize are the 24/7 efforts you take to ensure you household/ child's life is safe from allergens. They also don't realize how in this day and age unknown candy from strangers and um, flowerpots are not usually welcomed by parents any longer. The fact that the goodies where stashed about would freak me out the most, at least if they had been in one bag you could have thrown it all away at once.
A squirrel would seem the most likely culprit for the peanut BUT with the odd mish mash of treats your 'secret' bunny left behind I can see how you would seriously wonder if this was actually intended as a something fun to find :scratchy :frightened

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am 

gwen, that is creepy! I think it would be enough to make me move (or at least want to). There aren't many kids around here, but I did check with another neighbour and they didn't get anything. THe mystery continues. I kept checking the door every hour or so to make sure I hadn't missed anything, and there were 3 plastic eggs with chocolate in them on the doormat. The whole thing is VERY confusing. And allergies aside, I would eat or let my kids eat 'mystery' candy anyhow. I do want to get to the bottom of this though, to know if the peanut was left on purpose by someone who doesn't know, or if a good friend put the chocolate out (which would mean the peanut got there some other way).

BC2007. EXACTLY!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 am 
Site Admin

A good time to discuss the rule, "Don't take candy from strangers."
Really-who in this day and age, thinks it's OK to give candy to children they don't know? :dungetit

Dd fills plastic eggs for the bunny to hide. She knows the candy is safe. The Easter Bunny simply isn't as smart as Santa.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:07 pm 

I don't get it either. A handwritten note to the parents is totally appropriate (& necessary!!).
Cute about the Easter Bunny vs Santa!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:42 pm 

Any neighbor confess to being your secret Easter bunny?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 pm 

Not yet :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 am 

I think it might have been critter related/unfortunate coincidence, I was redistributing mulch in the backyard and found more peanuts still in shells. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Evil critters! Consider getting a dog? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 pm 

We have one, a pretty big one, but she's a fence jumper (new rescue) so she's only out when we are, and leashed...