You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 pm 

I just want to say thank you so much to the entire team at Allergic Living. The 5th anniversary edition sent chills through my spine. Who would have guessed that after 5 years, already hope would be on the horizon for possible cures for allergies. Nothing is set in stone, I know, but the overall optimism of this issue made me feel like maybe the cure I've always hoped for isn't in some far off future, but maybe just a few years away. It has given me hope that maybe by the time I start my own family, allergies won't be something we have to worry about.

Gwen, your message at the front of the issue was touching and if we met, I would definitely be one of those people who would ask to give you a hug! Growing up with food allergies when hardly anyone had them, I felt alone and different. The Allergic Living community, through the magazine and this forum, has made me feel (I know you've heard it a million times now-) that I'm not alone. Sharing stories, sharing fears, sharing laughs and frustrations...it has truly given me support and encouragement and that, is priceless.

Here's to many more years and anniversaries to come!
Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 am 
Site Admin

I got my copy yesterday and read with interest The Future of Allergies-Wow, wow wow! Thank you for compiling all of these studies and explaining them!

Life with allergies is very complex. It's nice to know that we have a place to turn to that provides accurate information on all aspects of allergic living without the hidden agendas. I can count on unbiased reporting of facts, explained in plain English.

Thank you for creating the magazine and congratulations on 5 years of success!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

You guys are much welcome for the magazine. Thank you for the congrats.

I wasn't 'just saying' in that column - this audience of allergic folks is the most inspiring I've ever known. An amazing sense of community that I didn't get in many years in the mainstream media (though I did love some of those jobs too. Have been fortunate).

You guys are what keep team AL at our computers and off interviewing experts.
And Lisa, all I can say is I'm on for that :huggy

Yippee - we're 5 years old. Calls for a little ... :banana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:19 pm 

I think it would be amazing if we could all get together some time. I know we're split up between provinces (and from what I can tell there are some people in the US and UK too) but it would be great to try to organize something say, at a really cool allergy friendly restaurant (Zero 8 maybe?) or some place that doesn't involve food. I mean, we inspire and support each other so much through the magazine and this forum...imagine if we met in person?

And thanks Gwen :huggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 pm 

I can't wait to receive this issue! I'm very anxious to read about "The Future of Allergies". Thank you so much Gwen, and the entire team at Allergic Living!! I don't know where we would be without you. Honestly, Allergic Living has been our lifeline, and I so appreciate the information we receive, and the incredible support on this forum. :thanksign from the bottom of my heart

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 pm 

Lisa you must live in the right place as you seem to always get yours first :D . I can't wait to see the anniversary addition!

:happydance Over the past couple of years each new issue that I've received has far exceeded my expectations. I also have to say a heartfelt thank you to all those who work at Allergic Living. A.L. is also my lifeline. I really don't know where I'd turn without the support, friendship, ideas, laughter, tears that Allergic Living community has given me. It isn't just a chat forum, it is a community. I second the motion for a gathering, it would be amazing to meet all my A.L. forum friends in person.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, It would be outstanding to pull off a get-together.

Right now, I'm not sure when, but let's leave the idea "on the table" (right next to Zero8's allergy-friendly fare, that I'd so love to sample)...

Julie, BC2007, thanks for the kind words.
It's an absolute pleasure to work with and for the great people here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:20 pm 

Sounds great...I'm glad you guys like the idea. :D