You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Admin

FYI- I sent a copy of this to my daughter's school, her daycare and those in charge of managing the anaphylaxis policies for her school and daycare.
I'm posting it here, in case anyone wishes to forward it on to those who look after their children. :)

Quote:
Hi,

Just a quick note to inform you that the makers of Epipen have redesigned the devise and the new version will be coming on the market spring of 2010. You can get a free trainer by following this link:
http://www.epipen.ca/CONSUMERS/English/ ... EpiPen.cfm

Allergy Safe Communities has made some revisions to their guidelines and there is now a 2ND Edition available. This can be ordered for $15.00 here:
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... p?catid=33

I hope you will be able acquire new trainers and a copy of the new guidelines so that your staff may become properly educated on how to handle a reaction.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:56 am 

Thanks Susan, I forwarded it to our DD's school, there are 21 anaphylactic kids there so I'm sure they'd like to see the new trainer asap.
:thanksign

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 pm 

21 kids!!!!! Wow, we only have 2 kids at our school carrying epipens - my DD and one other kid. DS will be the 3rd, and there is another kid in his preschool that has an epipen. But then again, we have a small school with only 180 kids.

Since the other currently uses twinject, and our current ones don't expire until the year is over, I'll wait until September to introduce the new ones, hopefully with a trainer that will come in the mail soon. . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 pm 

Interesing numbers, I was shocked to recently find out that although a handful of kids have epipens kept at the office, DS is the only one with a posted anaphylaxis plan/picture and with an epipen in the classroom, I believe he is the ONLY one in school with a severe peanut allergy! It is a large school, of around 500 kids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 pm 

We switched to this school (changed school and school board) in October because of it's superb and proactive attitude towards allergies/scent/food at school in general. I wonder if that is why there is such a high number of anaphylactic children at our school. Families dealing with allergies like ours actually want to be there. I know that in 1.5 years when our DS attends jr.k this school is as good as it gets as far as dealing with allergies. Also in Ottawa there are four public school boards and you can choose your school. We came from Vancouvers LMLD and there you just go to the school nearest your house/catchment. Here your tax dollars are allotted to the school you attend, French Public/English Public, English Catholic/French Catholic.
I don't want to hijack this thread but heres a quickie run down our school enforces. No peanuts/tree nuts including ingredients. Teacher supervised lunch, no food for birthdays, all crafts etc. must include all children (so no food crafts all children can't participate in), scent free school, desks are cleaned after eating, all staff are trained for anaphylaxis including substitute teachers and Halloween and Easter were craft days and did not include food celebrations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:25 pm 

WOW BC2007, what an impressive list of rules!! I'd love to find a school like that here, but after calling everywhere I found that they were all similar, and less strict than I had hoped.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:12 pm 

Our daughter's teacher even emailed me to see if eggs were one of our son's allergies as they were going to decorate them for Easter (no egg allergic in that portable or who share the portable). The teacher was afraid that if it was one of his allergies our daughter might be contaminated and bring the trace home, if egg was an allergy of our son's (2 1/2 not even in the school) they were going to use styrafoam eggs!!!!!! AMAZING! Things like that make me cry but finally a good cry, a cry of relief that it is going to be ok when he goes to school. If they care about him now and he is just 2 1/2 I know they will truly care about him when he attends their school. Our old school/school board had the 100% opposite attitude towards allergies so this is unreal for our family. I hope you find a great school Becky!

Susan, I have completely hijacked this post and I reprand myself :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 am 
Site Admin

No problem! :huggy I'm going to split it into two later today!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb