You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Well, I got her ears pierced yesterday. I opted for the plastic ones as they are supposed to be the least likely to cause allergic reactions. The next choice was titanium (but they weren't as pretty).

I hadn't heard of people having allergies to gold but it can happen-really, nothing surprises me anymore.

It took her 4 tries to get the courage up. the last time we got as far as the parking lot. Today she had a melt down thinking she'd changed her mind. :roll:

I told her it was done and that she had to where the studs for the 6 weeks. After that she could change her mind if she wanted to. :freak

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, she'll love it. Earrings are fun, the worst is over. :happydance

I'm allergic to gold in my ears, but not silver. Even better, hypoallergenic posts.
Nothing but the cheap stuff for me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 pm 

I've had my ears pierced twice(when I was a kid), both times I had to take them out because my mom insisted it wasn't the gold earings causing the reactions, it had to be my dirty little kid hands.. Turns out it was the gold, and only surgical steel has worked so far. I still don't have my ear lobes pierced, but had plenty of other surgical steel piecings that didn't get swollen and infected. Hope all works out! I'm possibly going back to get my ears pierced soon, i'm 25 and still haven't gotten up the guts to try again (I hate getting dissapointed when they get infected)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

It definately helped to have both ears done at the same time. Having to sit through it a second time would have been too much!

Yes, 10K gold have too much nickle in it but reactions to 14K or more usually means a gold allergy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 pm 

Congrats to your DD! I have found the only earrings I can wear without reaction are surgical steel, and I buy them at shoppers drugmart (can't think of the name - bio-care?). I react to EVERYTHING else. I had them pierced as a child, then repierced in my early 20s. I didn't wear earrings for years, but have been for the last ~2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

I'm secretly hoping that she'll start to take an interest in her appearance and wear more than one outfit!
A mom can dream can't she?

Also, the boys (one she likes and one who bugs her) started teasing her last Thursday by snorting after every word-tree pollen!

I figured this would give her something else to think about when going to school today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
I'm secretly hoping that she'll start to take an interest in her appearance and wear more than one outfit!
A mom can dream can't she?

Also, the boys (one she likes and one who bugs her) started teasing her last Thursday by snorting after every word-tree pollen!

I figured this would give her something else to think about when going to school today.

Wow, how old is she? She is liking boys already? Maybe she's older than I remember . . . .

Although, one of my DD's best friends at school is a boy (and since about age 3.5; she's now 5). But I think it's more a friend who happens to be a boy rather than actually 'liking' each other.

Funny about the outfit - some kids are sure picky about their clothes. My DD refuses to wear pants if she can help it. We have about 8 skirts, 7 pairs of thick tights and several long sleeve dresses which has lessened the battles every morning. She would wear a summer dress every day if we let her!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I would let her! (Maybe with bicycle shorts underneath for modesty)

Dd is 8 and is just beginning to notice boys. Not romantically or anything, just notice that they are attractive and some of them are nice to be around. :)

They seem pretty comfortable around her, too! :freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am 

Quote:
I have found the only earrings I can wear without reaction are surgical steel, and I buy them at shoppers drugmart (can't think of the name - bio-care?). I react to EVERYTHING else

That is so interesting. I haven't been able to wear earrings for more than a couple hours straight since I was young. I have one pair I can semi-tolerate. I've tried cheap ones, expensive ones and they all bother me. Our daughter has let her holes grow over as she also ends up with the holes infected and swollen after a day of wearing earrings. I think I'll check our shoppers for these you mentioned. You might have just solved the pierced ear dilema in our house.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am 

I am so glad you posted about earrings Susan. I went out asap and got a pair of pink 'diamonds' :D for our daughter for her birthday. She has wanted for years to be able to wear earrings. If these don't work nothing will.
I just went to Shoppers and they have a large selection of earrings as well as studs which fit into an ear piercing gun. You can purchase them at Shoppers and take to a store which pierces ears.
The earrings are called BIO CARE, "made of surgical grade stainless steel with a high tech gold overlay process". T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Oh, I would let her! (Maybe with bicycle shorts underneath for modesty)

Dd is 8 and is just beginning to notice boys. Not romantically or anything, just notice that they are attractive and some of them are nice to be around. :)

They seem pretty comfortable around her, too! :freak

Cute. . .. the problem with the summer dresses is that she doesn't want to wear anything OVER the dress - like a sweater, jacket or long sleeve tshirt.

Good to know about the bio care earrings. I've found out I'm allergic to nickel and have stopped wearing earrings lately. I seem to be OK with sterling silver and gold. My watch is a hypoallergenic stainless steel one from Roots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe I should move this from Off Topic Banter into the Other Allergies forum! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:27 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I am so glad you posted about earrings Susan. I went out asap and got a pair of pink 'diamonds' :D for our daughter for her birthday. She has wanted for years to be able to wear earrings. If these don't work nothing will.
I just went to Shoppers and they have a large selection of earrings as well as studs which fit into an ear piercing gun. You can purchase them at Shoppers and take to a store which pierces ears.
The earrings are called BIO CARE, "made of surgical grade stainless steel with a high tech gold overlay process". T

So glad you found them. I have a few pairs with the gold overlay, but find them less comfortable (could be psychological) than the silver posts. They are very inexpensive, so it's easy to have a few pairs to switch between. It's been a great find for me, I had totally given up on earrings til I found them. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:09 pm 

Those earrings really do work, our DD has had them in for a few days with absolutely no problem. :happydance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:41 pm 

:swing