You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:06 pm 

Just wondering at what age kids start carrying their epipens? DS is in Kindergarten and it's in the classroom, & in the office, and the teacher will put it in her fanny pack if they go out. The Dr was suprised that it wasn't on him. I hadn't actually given it much thought, last year he was in preschool and not ready. I had thought it would be later on, but now I'm reconsidering.

What do you do?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:14 pm 

My husband and I asked each other the exact same question tonight. Our son has a hard time with new things so the transition we thought should start soon. I don't mean that at 2 1/2 he should carry his epipen but I was thinking of getting him a cute soft epi pouch and just get him used to wearing that. ?????
My hope is that he will be so used to wearing it that by junior K he will wear it on his person. Of course this is a kid who won't even wear the (super cute I must add) tool belt I made for him so an epi pouch might take a bit of work to get on him.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 pm 

DD started wearing her double kozy epi belt in Spring of last year (at age 4.5), to prepare her for Kindergarten in September which is when I thought she should be wearing it on her person. In preschool, the children were ALWAYS with a teacher and the teachers would carry the first aid bag wherever they went. In K, it's a different story, and my rationale is that I can't expect a teacher to always remember to carry the pouch when going to the gym, library, music class, etc, especially if there is a substitute.

Since DD started wearing hers, I thought I'd try with DS and he has been wearing his to preschool because he wanted to, starting at the beginning of the school year when he had just turned 3. In addition to the 2 they each carry, there is an extra at the preschool for DS and an extra at the school office for DD, in case we forget them one day (haven't forgetten yet!) or DD comes in from recess and it's fallen off or something like that.

When I go out with them, I carry both sets in my purse. When there are two adults, we each carry a set, and if there are more than two adults (grandparents at Children's Festival, etc), I will have each child wear their belt. I'm trying to figure out a way for them to wear the belts in the car comfortably with the car seat straps and haven't managed it yet. I find it too much hassle to put them on each kid when we leave the house, take it off for the car ride, put it back on when leaving the car, etc, which is partly why I carry them when we're out. Thankfully, we always walk to school, so that isn't a issue.

DD somewhat knows how the epipen works, but DS has no idea. I was surprised when meeting another parent of a 5yr old with allergies because the allergist said the child should be able to inject herself if needed. I haven't prepared DD for that at all, and she's always with us, another trusted adult who is trained, or at school where all the teachers and support staff are trained.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:25 am 

We started the summer before Kindergarten.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:04 am 

Summer before he started junior kindergarten he started wearing his E-belt http://www.ebelt.ca/photos/ebelt_lg.jpg .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 pm 

Our son started wearing his E-belt when he was 3.5 yrs old. This was good for in the neighbourhood (not just at school) when our son would spontaneously decide he wanted to go play down at the neighbour's house, or go for a ride around the block or go to the park. Our son started wearing the E-belt in the summer before he started school so he would be used to it in September. Our son is now 8 and he has moved up to the next size of E-belt (medium, I guess). We went straight to the E-belt because it's really good for active kids -it has a hard exterior that will withstand a fall or the impact of a ball. Not only that, my husband and I use the Kozi-Epis for sports (we ski together as a family, etc.) and my husband's Kozi-Epi stitching fell apart this winter! We've never had any problems with the E-belt. We have his E-Belt hanging on the door that we exit all the time, and he automatically puts it on every time he leaves. When he was younger, hanging on the door handle was a good reminder for us, as parents, as well.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:35 pm 

I originally wanted the teacher to be responsible for carrying ds' epi-pen, but his school principal insisted children carry their own. I am so thankful that she felt that way.

He started wearing an e-belt in junior kindergarten.

~~

I'm not sure I would invest in an e-belt now though. If the new design of the epi-pen starts being sold in Canada I don't think it will fit in the e-belt. Since the case the epi-pen comes in is stronger, I think I'll purchase something like a kozy-epi when I need to replace his belt.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the replies. There is a big difference in being able to carry it and being able to use it. I'm sure DS wouldn't have the ability to use it himself, although the allergist thought he should be carrying it/able to use it by now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

It is fairly easy to be able to give an Epipen however, I don't think anyone would expect a child to give themselves on in an emergency.

In Ontario and several other provinces, the school staff are supposed to be trained on how to give this and forms are completed giving the school authorization to give the medication.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 pm 

My son is 12. He has been trained on how to self-administer. BUT I've made it very clear to the school that being trained is not the same as being able. When I had my anaphylactic reaction I would not have been physically capable of self-administering the epi-pen. I wasn't capable of walking a straight line.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 am 

Thanks so much for all of the replies, I'll start shopping and see what works best. It would be good for DS to start carrying it, even if it's some time before he can be trained to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Becky, he's at a good age to start letting him pratice with a trainer on his teddy. Dd had a Dr's kit with a trainer, an old nebulizer mask and the usual Dr's kit stuff. She spent a lot of time 'treating' her bears and daddy if he happened to fall asleep on the sofa.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:01 pm 

My daughters school had us fill in a form and supply the extra one. They have it on a board with a picture, consent forms and it is taken on field trips too! I was impressed with the school and the organization. At the PTA meeting last year this was discussed and a company provides these kits and with the picture and roll up functions it gives me some piece of mind. She carries one with her also, but even if she had it on her, if she were to have a serious reaction, she may not be able to point the problem out. This way everyone at the school knows (and other kids with the same problems and there pics etc). The website for the company is www.atriskrescue.com, the school ordered these out of the budget though. One of the parents found it and brought it up at the PTA meetings last year.

And no I am not advertising for them, just sharing what my daighters school does!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:54 am 

Emilyrap, I love that idea. Better than 20 printed out pieces of paper on the wall. It also can be easily grabbed off the wall (with the plastic is weatherproof) and taken outdoors say in a school emergency.
Great product.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 am 

Exactly, they take it on field trips and everything also and we all signed waivers provided by the product to please administer the provided medication and how to do it. Although it doesnt take the risk out of the allergy...it atleast makes it organized which gives some assurance! I also have my daughter carry one, but this is another option and especially if she ever forgets it! Kids spend so much time at school, so why not have something organized there. One of the parents at the school found this and brought it to the PTA attention, you should too!