Spring (March 21-June 20) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Summer (June 21-September 20) 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Autumn (September 21-December 20) 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Winter (December 21-March 20) 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Vitamin D from natural sun exposure is needed for the healthy development of a child's immune system, experts believe.

And winter babies tend to get less sun, they explain in the journal Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.

The doctors from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston reviewed all of 1,002 patients with food allergies who had been seen in three local hospital emergency departments over a period of six years.

They then compared the months of birth in patients with food allergy with those of patients visiting the emergency rooms for reasons other than food allergy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8633001.stm

Let's try an informal poll-What season was your child (or you if you have food allergies) born in?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 am 

Yet another sign my family is weird. My brother, sister (outgrown) & I with food allergies were all born in the summer. Everyone else (with no food allergies) were born any season BUT summer. lol

Of course, we are all adult onset, so maybe i shouldn't have voted?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 am 

I am very curious to see if the autumn trend continues. Very interesting theory to look at.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 am 

I was born December 29 but my brother who also has allergies (both of us since we were 3) was born September 16. I only voted for myself. Also, we are the only 2 people in the family with allergies which is why I have never been sold on the "it's genetic" theory...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:01 pm 

Our son was born January 19. This is an interesting theory that I've never heard of before. I am looking forward to seeing the results!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:47 pm 

I see spring is a zero so far. I thought I'd add that our daughter is a spring baby and has no allergies/no asthma.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:32 am 

I went up to put a vote in for June, then discovered that it's split in two. My husband and youngest son are the ones with the most allergies including the only food allergies (and asthma) in our house. They were born June 19 and June 23.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:35 am 

kmommy wrote:
I went up to put a vote in for June, then discovered that it's split in two. My husband and youngest son are the ones with the most allergies including the only food allergies (and asthma) in our house. They were born June 19 and June 23.

I went back and voted "summer" because they were both due in the summer... hubby was about 6 weeks early, son was 2.5 weeks early.