You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: west jet or air canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 am 

I'm flying across Canada in the near future, and I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts among other things. I don't know if I'd have a reaction if folks are eating nuts on the plane near me...that scenario hasn't yet been tested.

I take it that WestJet is a better choice where nut allergies are concerned?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 pm 

WJ doesn't serve anything with actual peanuts or tree nuts as ingredients, but do have some may contain items. AC does have nuts - I believe it was almonds or cashews for sale in their snack cart. When I spoke to a phone agent before we flew, I was told there were only nuts in business class. Once I was on the plane and noticed them, I spoke to a flight attendent who said she would try to 'pull them from the cart', but in the end, they were still there. I wasn't too concerned as they weren't be given out (therefore everyone eating them VS just a couple of people), and we had wiped down the seats, brought all our own food, had 4 epipens per kid, no kids near us that would be throwing nuts around, etc.

Given the choice, I would definitely fly WJ from a safety standpoint and a 'support allergy-aware companies with your dollars' standpoint - they pulled nuts/peanuts from the menu proactively, and the two times we flew with kids, they proactively created a 3 row buffer zone upon finding out about the allergies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 pm 

thanks! It does sound like it is a better idea to book a flight with WestJet. proactive about allergies = good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:55 pm 

I agree. I have flown with both airlines. I choose Westjet handsdown for courtesy and safety.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

WestJet is more consistently accommodating, and doesn't serve nuts or sesame.

Just reminding you of our chart which spells out the various airline positions re allergy:
http://www.allergicliving.com/documents/airlines.asp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:30 am 

Thank you! The chart helps a lot, especially as I am allergic to pets and to perfume. Now I really need to book that ticket!! I hope they let me bring my cooler bag on board....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm 

Helen I am quite sure you can carry on your food pack. Check the airline website for a thorough list of items you can and cannot bring. I use plastic containers with a gel lid that you freeze. I was told I should have a note from my doctor for these. They probably wouldn't have bothered had I not said that the lids had gel in them. You are allowed freezer packs with a doctor's note for certain medications. Check the list for details that pertain to you.
If you have stopovers you can find out what food places are in that airport by checking the airport website. I never purchase anything but a bottle of water for my allergic daughter and usually pack lots of homebaked muffins, cookies that would fill her until we are safely at our destination. I also carry Fruit to Go and have offered them to other people when they kindly put away their peanut granola bar for out safety.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Admin

I've had no problem with carrying food/soymilk across Canada. Just when crossing over the border into the USA.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 am 

Cathy--I had forgotten about those containers with the gel pack lids! I've seen them, so I know the ones you mean.

I asked the guy at Westjet if I could bring my ice packs. I have these reusable ice cubes and ice cube mats from Thermos that I love (water encased in plastic.) He called someone to check, and they said no, not according to transport canada rules. BUT I spoke with a US airline awhile back when planning a trip (that didn't end up happening) and they said that since I need ice packs for medical reasons it would be okay. The Westjet customer service representative mentioned that I could try to bring my ice packs through but if so it might be a good idea to have someone accompany me to the airport so that if I can't take them on board I won't lose them. I do have a medical note of sorts. (I asked my allergist for a note ages ago in case this should happen, and he wrote it on a prescription pad. I hope that would be sufficient.)

I've decided to freeze all my food and to also bring some frozen fruit that I can eat...frozen cranberries, I'm thinking. The food itself will be an ice pack. I wish I could bring my reusable ice packs because I could use them once I get to my destination. But I suppose I can just use actual ice from the hotel.

The flight itself is about 5 hours. I have to get to the airport a couple of hours in advance, and it takes me a couple of hours to get to the airport. It will take me awhile to get to my hotel and to the grocery store. So I'll definitely need to pack a lot of food. To make things more complicated, I might be going out for dinner after I arrive (read: bringing my own food to dinner.) So my parents have kindly offered to drive me to the airport so that I can eat before I get on the flight and leave all the containers with them. Of course, I'll bring food with me as well...this will just increase the amount of food I have available during the flight.

As for the food I'll be bringing. I'm sure rice, cooked poultry, cooked veggies will be fine as I'm not crossing the border. Cooked fruit will be okay (i.e. not a "liquid") Yogurt and kefir are contraband. too liquidy. I have to buy plain yogurt without any added ingredients (such as flavours, cornstarch), so I doubt I'll be able to buy it at the airport.

<sigh> *everything* has to be so complicated. everything!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 am 

Helen
Quote:
The food itself will be an ice pack.

Ingenious!! :D Good luck with your trip, I hope all goes well with the food situation.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am 

Thanks! It might not seem like such an ingenious solution when I'm trying to chow down on frozen food :lol: but as long as I do have food available I'll be okay. and I do like the idea of being able to pack more food because of the lack of ice packs.