You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:13 am 

If the allergist recommends that you avoid all legumes, does it mean you have to be as dilligent as with peanuts, meaning that a trace amount could trigger an anaphylactic reaction, or does it mean not to ingest it as it is more a sensitivity?

Does that mean for example that if we have chicken pot pie with peas, should my daughter just push the peas away or avoid the whole meal all together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:59 pm 

I'm allergic to peas as well....I would not eat anything that was cooked with peas even if I picked the peas out. The protein would still get in the food.

Post subject: Re: Chickpeas?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 pm 

Be sure to avoid Barilla Plus for anybody with a chickpea allergy, or even a legume allergy. They have a legume flour blend in there so if you're even mildly reactive to chickpeas (like me), you'll have a reaction!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:45 am 

Thanks larki44, what a great reminder that 'anything' can be in 'anything'. We would have had quite a situation on our hands if I hadn't noticed the legume flour listed!!!! Scary! :thanksign

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Ever stand in the aisle of a grocery store and a dissociative moment while you imagine all of the equipment used to make the product in your hands aas well as imagining all of the other products those equipments processed and the various ingredients in them... :scratchy :freak :frightened :roll:

I might not always stick to my grocery list but I don't tend to make impulse purchases either. :?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:01 pm 

I find this really interesting. DD reacted once when eating hummus... we assumed a sesame allergy (she tested negative on skin test, we are still waiting for the blood test results, should know in the next two weeks).. but now I wonder about the chickpea because of the peanut allergy. Our allergist didn't say anything about avoiding other legumes.. and I really hope we can keep green beans (V's favorite!)... but now I wonder if we should avoid all of these until our next visit (not until Oct.. sigh)...

jacqui

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm 

It is different for everyone as far as which legumes they are allergic, one, all , some etc. . Our son can eat beans but not peas (anaphylactic to chick peas/green peas that we know of). We've never fed him a lentil so we don't know if his allergy includes them or not...he'll be tested again in Aug..
As far as proteins - peanuts, peas and lentils from what I understand have a similar protein make ups but the bean's protein make up is the most different amongst the legumes.
If she eats green beans with no problem I wouldn't omit them from her diet, if she's never beans or peas it is a coin toss whether to avoid them or not. Hummus was the way we discovered his sesame/chick pea allergy also. I kissed him after eating some. We discovered a lot of his allergies from kissing the poor kid after eating. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Dd has reacted to several legumes, peas, chick peas, lentils, navy beans...the allergist has said, "Do not feed her any new legumes without checking them first." She does tolerate green beans, yellow wax beans and soy (thank goodness!).

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:51 pm 

I think we will keep the green beans in her diet then... but DD won't eat peas (maybe because they would make her sick?) so I think I will keep them away from her for now. She is such a good eater, that whenever she won't eat something, it's odd... so maybe that's why she won't eat peas... she has had lentils once and was ok... and she's had refried pinto beans and black beans with no reaction.. so I think for now we will avoid the peas and maybe the chickpeas if sesame isn't an allergen..

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm 

I agree totally with avoiding peas for your DD if she is refusing to eat them. MANY foods our son has refused from around 6 months old to eat. I thought he was picky and over the past couple years the few things I finally force fed him cause reactions :freak . Way to pile on the mama guilt!!! If she doesn't want to eat them I 100% agree not to feed them to her, stick with what works is my philosiphy.
On that note what is freaking me out lately is that our DS keeps sitting down and saying 'try try' when we eat. I keep everything allergen safe....but the catch is we still don't know if we've discovered all of his allergies. I dread the day when he says 'try try' and has a reaction. He has been afraid of food due to so many reactions and not eaten more than four food items for over a year now so although I am very relieved he is finally trying more food it is terrifying :frightened I know sooner or later we are going to strike out.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:58 am 

I know what you mean about it being stressful for them to try new foods! DD doesn't let her allergies stop her.. LOL.. DH says she just likes to eat!

We had a reaction last night... and NO idea what it was from! I made pasta (Compliments Sensations, egg free) and a homemade sauce (canned organic tomatoes, ingredients were tomato, tomato juice and salt... fresh onions, carrot, zucchini, garlic, olive oil and salt. Ugh! I had taken her shirt off to eat, and she inhaled her first plate (pasta is her favorite)... so I went to get her more, and when I turned back around, she is scratching her chest with both hands and she is bright red, and welts starting to form over her entire chest! I grab the benedryl, get her into an oatmeal bath... and started cleaning like a mad woman! luckily there was no need for the epi!

Now, we have to find what caused it... she has had the pasta a couple of times and she's been ok... the tomatoes were a new kind.. and I have left a message with the canning company... though it seems all they do is tomatoes... ugh! she's eaten carrots, zucchini, onions and garlic lots of times... the olive oil is the same kind we have been using since forever.. (inlaws get it in barrels directly from their olive grove in Italy)... so, unless she is developing a new allergy, I guess we are looking at the tomatoes... or possibly the pasta...

sorry.. I'm rambling.. lol.. anyway, I do understand that it's stressful... but I don't want to let the allergies rule our family either, kwim? It's a fine line... we do keep our house allergen free (no peanut or egg products)... but I want her to try new things... I just want her to do it safely..

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Admin

...or it could have been a viral reaction. :roll:
The maddening thing is that there are some hives that just seem to happen for no reason (idiopathic = "we don't know why")
Could it be a new laundry soap? Drying on the line and picked up some pollen/grass? Skin just in a reactive state (mine gets like that with high humidity)

Good to do the mental check, but if you've managed to resolve the symptoms, move on. You only have so much energy. Next time, you may make the connection.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:43 pm 

Quote:
I had taken her shirt off to eat,

could there have been any cleaning residue left on the table or her highchair??? Our son had a reaction with body rash/hives after leaning up against the sliding glass door when he was shirtless. I'd just cleaned it - with only vinegar and water !! He's had vinegar in foods before so it was just the contact which cause the reaction not an allergy. :freak

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:23 pm 

I never thought about any cleaning residue on the table.. but maybe that could be it... we are careful about whether we use anything new.. and we haven't used any new laundry detergent or cleaners.. etc... but I'm going to keep an eye out with any other reactions she has.. it jus seemed to happen so fast that the food seemed to be the culprit...