* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergens in toys?`
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:33 am 
Site Admin

I thought I'd share this in the pre-Christmas season:
While this toy did not cause an asthma reaction I am concerned that another child might have a reaction.
There was no warning on the label of this toy.
Last year our daughter was given a Cabbage Patch Doll for Christmas.
As she opened it a strong odour of baby powder filled the air. She reared up and ran away from the box saying "Stinky baby, stinky baby, my asthma is going to kick up!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:41 pm 

I'm also waiting for the year that my mother-in-law gets my daughters an easy bake oven for christmas. Those mixes are full of milk, eggs and other allergens. I don't think that they are peanut free but I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't trust those mixes! Luckily our daughter loves to bake. We make our own bread (breadmaker :roll: ), muffins, cakes and cookies.
If someone gave her an EasyBake oven she'd turn her nose up at it as she bakes using the real one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:29 pm 

I make our own bread too. I have a bread maker, but I don't know how to use it. :? I make four loaves at a time. The kneading and rising isn't that hard, and I like getting the weeks bread done all at once.

My daughters love to bake too. Sometimes it complicates the constant baking by having to include a 2 and 4 year old every time you make something. At least they are having fun, and learning. If I ask my 4 year old "why do we grease a pan?" she says "so it does not stick." If I ask her "what does baking powder do?" she says "to make it light and fluffy." If I ask her which is bigger 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup, she knows the answer. She's definitely learning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:31 am 
Site Admin

I like to bake bread in batches to but in the heat of the summer we broke down and got a bread maker. We had to tweak the recipes add extra oil and water but now we have a pretty good recipe. What size is yours? I'll post a recipe.

Baking is great for learning your fractions, I'm doubling this recipe so instead of 1/3 cup I'll use 2/3 cup or this recipe calls for 3 tbsp, I'll just use the 1 1/2 tbsp measure twice.
It's also great as an intro to science. Following a recipe is basically following a science experiment. The reactioms between the ingredients too. Heat as a catalist or and additional ingredient (baking powder & heat or baking soda and vinegar/buttermilk).

It can also be an outlet for artistic expression. Just watch them add ingredients to pancakes, muffins or cookies or watch them decorate cookies or cakes!

Can you tell that we love to cook! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:47 pm 

I did not realize that there were different sizes. My bread maker bakes a 1 1/2 to 2 pound loaf. Is that what you mean by a size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:43 am 
Site Admin

I meant 1 1/2b or 2 lb loafs. Some machines make only one size and obviously the ammount of flour etc would be differnt.
Oops! Daughter just woke up!
I'll see what recipes I can post this evening.
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :?: :idea: :arrow: