You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Good Granola Bar Recipe?
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:08 am 

Hi. New to al of this. Just found out that my youngest DD is allergic to wheat, rice, corn, potato, soy, and dairy, just to name a few. Looking for a granola bar recipe (or other snacky type item). She is okay with oatmeal.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 pm 

Susan posted this one a while back..it is great and very easy. As most of us need to do just made substitutes where your child's allergies conflict with a recipe. Sometimes it takes a few tries when 'improvising' but after many hits and misses it slowly gets easier as you will discover what works and what doesn't. I think under the more specific allergy threads, wheat/soy etc. you should be able to find lots of ideas for flour substitutes etc. Good luck!!! :D Glad you found us on A.L..

Quote:
Tree-hugging Granola Bars

½ cup flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
½ cup butter (can use dairy-free margarine if milk allergy)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbl. sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup oats
¼ cup wheat germ
¼ cup flax seeds (I used them whole, not ground)
1 cup rice krispy cereal
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
(I used less raisins and cranberries and added ½ cup choco chips, also)
Recipe calls for small handful of mini-marshmallows, but I didn’t use them.

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 in cake pan.

Whisk together the flours, cornstarch, cinnamon, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Blend in honey and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in the oats, wheat germ, flax seeds, rice krispies, raisins, cranberries, and choco chips, if used. I find that using clean, damp hands work best for this job!

Pat dough into prepared pan. Sprinkle marshmallows over the top if using them.

Bake for 20-25 min until golden brown. Cool COMPLETELY and then cut into bars. Store in airtight containers or ziplock bags.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:44 pm 

Excellent - I'm going to try this out soon. Those No Nuttin bars are great, but so pricey. . .

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

I found the honey to be too sweet. We switched to corn syrup. Feel free to tweak away! It's a good recipe and everyone likes them!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:46 pm 

Unfortunately, that one won't work for me as it has dairy, corn, rice and flour in it. Anything else out there?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 pm 

Here's another recipe I use, it is easy and the kids love it. Again, you will need to adjust for the allergies you are dealing with but I think with some tweeking this one could work. On other threads of the forum you should be able to find safe substitutes for chocolate chips and margarine options.

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey (or corn syrup)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup wheat germ
*add to your liking dried cranberries/raisins/diced dried apricots etc.

Combine oats, wheat germ and sugar, Cut in margarine until crumbly mixture. Stir in honey (or corn syrup) and dried fruit.
Push into a 9" x9" greased pan. Bake 350 20-25 min. When cool cut and freeze slices in plastic wrap for quick snacks.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:49 am 
Site Admin

ccatmac wrote:
Unfortunately, that one won't work for me as it has dairy, corn, rice and flour in it. Anything else out there?

No dairy in it (if you use safe margarine/oil, we omit the chocolate chips but there are safe ones out there).
Yes it has corn (cornstarch-can substitute tapioca starch, cereal-substitute safe cereal) but wheat...not sure what flour combo you'd use.

You may want to search online (google) a few recipes and combine them to create one. Granola is just spices, carbs (oats, cereal etc), fruit & filler (dried fruit, coconut, nuts/seeds) and something to stick it all together (sugar, leavener, salt, flour etc.)

The only part that needs to be precise is the last part. You can add what ever spices, carbs and fruit/filler you like/can tolerate. :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb