You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: steam cleaner
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:10 pm 

With a new puppy in the house I think I need to go buy a hand held steam cleaner! :oops

Until she completely learns we have had a few accidents. Now I am not looking for a large carpet cleaner I am looking for one that is hand held. I know I have seen them and I think they may not be too bad. Good for spots on carpet, sofa, bed, car...

Just wondering if anyone out there has one or has used one that they think is worth recommending. Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: steam cleaner
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:57 am 

I have a Bissell Green Machine that has been very handy for such occassions.
What kind of puppy do you have?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 am 

We have a Bissell green machine also. Great for small carpet clean ups, couches, stairs etc. (we have a 6 month puppy in the house also :lol: ) The bissell Green works very well.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am 

Thanks ladies I will be shopping this week. We got a Bichon Frise she will be four months this week. We did have to boy Bichons in the past, when we trained them we got them to bark at the door and they both quickly learned that a bark will get them out. Not so much for her she is not a barker she knows what to do when we say speak but she mostly moves her mouth and nothing comes out! It looks real cute but would never get any attention if we were in another room. Also we have a two story house and she can't do the stairs yet. When she is with me for the day there are not to many accidents (I take her out a lot) It seems to be when the whole family is here or when the kids watch her she may not get out as much.?? I think today I am going to buy two bells one for the door and one to hang up stairs. I heard some people use a bell for the dog to ring. Wish me luck. It is also different when you take a boy dog for a walk he will pee and pee till he is so empty and still he tries to squeeze a drop out. But a girl walks down the middle of side walk and I spend my time trying to suggest grass spots! How about here this looks good :goodidea It's like having babies again a little poop monitoring and being happy when we are outside and it happens. Just to make my 12 year old boy blush when we are in the back yard (no one around) I say in a high voice Good Girl... In a sing song voice. Is it not our turn to embarrass the kids :rofl Don't worry I would never really embarrass them but it is funny when you know it would take so little. Thanks again for the Bissell Green suggestion I will locate one this week.
BC2007 What kind of puppy do you have? How has the training been going for you? Also do you have other pets in the house?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 am 

Paige, We bought our Little Green Bissell at Canadian Tire around 2 years ago.

We have a beagle, born early Dec. Our old guy, also a beagle was 16 years and we had to put him down over New Years. Since this seems to be the only animal and breed of dog our son doesn't react to we wanted to get another puppy asap before he could possibly dev. an allergy to beagle dander also.
I am attempting to train him the same way I did our previous dog. You know those baby pianos (little tikes I think), they have four keys, sit right on the ground. Well I trained our last dog to hit the piano when he wanted to go outside, I am trying to have the same success with this pup. :roll: He house trained very quickly and easily to our surprise, he used to have accidents (on floor not carpet thank goodness) while playing with the kids mainly due to being over excited but he is really good now and weeks can go by between accidents now.
Beagles you NEVER want to train to 'talk', they are notorious for baying as it is so we work instead on remaining quiet. :D Our son if asked by others what a doggy says will howl 'aaawwwwooooooooooo', people correct him that dogs say woof woof, he looks at them like they are crazy. :rofl
Good luck with the puppy training.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm 

Thought I would just say thanks again to Cathie and BC2007 for the recommendation on the Bissel Little Green steam cleaner. I did get the one that is called "pro heat". So I have been using it, love it, works great. I now find as I walk around my house I am scouting out "Spots" any spill I can tackle :banana Bring it on, spills "No problem kids, I got it" :bouncyblue
How sad I find it kind of enjoyable. I guess this is one kind of cleaning when you are done you can really see a difference. Better that when you clean out the pantry or closet and shut the door.
P.S. Puppy is getting much better, not perfect but better :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:36 pm 

I'm so glad it worked out. I use ours all the time for everything from the car seat and stroller to the couch or carpet.
The steam cleaner doesn't excite me too much but our Dyson Vacuum sure does. I never thought something could live up to it's advertisements but boy a Dyson does. Even an area rug that looks clean I'll vacuum and see the canister fill up. It is unreal how well it works, our carpet upstairs even feels softer and looks brighter after I vacuum. My husband hears a lot of 'look, look, see how full the canister is and i JUST vacuumed yesterday'. :lol:

So Paige, if your little green bissel gets you excited, you go girl, I'll right there with you. :mrgreen:
ps. the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.
....I BC2007 am not embarrassed to admit that I love my Dyson!! :rofl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:34 pm 

He (Dyson) sounds wonderful! I may have to meet him one day. :swing
I on the other hand had a carpet in my basement that never looked like it needed to be done but when I got after it all I heard was bing, bang, bong, clank.. so needless to say stuff was on carpet I just could never see it. I have since moved and I think I need to remove all the carpet in this house to replace it with the kind of carpet that we had in the other house. :goodidea
When it is time for me to replace the vac I have I will have to see if Dyson is available. :rofl