You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 pm 

Nutrawhip! Very excited to find this one. This can be used anywhere whipping cream is needed. Also enjoyed it on pancakes with blueberries yesterday.
Ritz regular crackers
Silk for coffee. I use it in everything from coffee to cream of mushroom soup.
The vegan soy cheese susan recommended. I found their western canada distributer and found someone who carries this in Saskatoon, 1 1/2 hours away. Next time I go there I'm bringing a large cooler and stocking up.-thanks susan

Post subject: Other safe foods
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:28 pm 

Jello cooked puddings work great with soy milk. I make this a lot, I'm not sure if anyone else has tried it. The instant ones however do not set.

Haven't tried this yet but 3 tbsp vanilla cooked pudding powder and 3/4 cup soy milk can substitute for 3/4 cup condensed milk in your favorite recipe.

I would love to hear what products others who are cooking without milk, eggs or nuts are buying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm 

The instant one will set if you use 1 1/3 instead of 2 cups. :wink:

There also exists a recipe to do home made condensed milk.. don't know where I put it though... oups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

I've taken this recipe off the internet somewhere. I haven't tried it yet.

Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute
by Sherree Cook

For one cup of sweetened condensed milk, blend:
3/4 cup Mori-Nu Silken Tofu
1/4 cup honey

I hope to make these for Christmas this year:

Tiny Christmas Fruitcakes
Makes 3 dozen
From the kitchen of Dora Grimm

1/4 pound candied cherries (quartered)
3 candied pineapple slices, chopped
2 1/4 cups chopped nuts
1/2 cup flour
1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk (or substitute)
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
Grand Marnier for soaking baked cakes (is this dairy or egg free?)

Grease tiny muffin tins very well. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place pan of boiling water in oven (bottom rack) when baking. Chop candied fruits and toss with the flour. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and fill the muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from tins when done and put on a rack to cool. Spoon Grand Marnier over each fruitcake (repeat each day for three days). Store in an airtight container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:45 pm 

I'm so excited to share this with you all!!! I found a new margarine, that is non-hydrogenated, free of genetically modified ingredients, tastes good and guaranteed 100 % dairy free and not made on equiptment shared with dairy.
You could probably contact the manufacturer to find out who carries it in your area. That is how I found the "meltable dairy free cheese".
http://earthbalance.net/

I stumbled across it while shopping for the meltable cheese that susan recommended. I made pizza tonight and it was so good. Thank you so much susan!!! I'm really excited about this margarine...it has even won an award for best tasting dairy free spread, and it is sooo healthy...please check out the web site!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:59 pm 

I noticed that oreo cookies and baking crumbs are free of milk, eggs, and nuts. I will phone kraft tomorrow to ask about manufacturing since there is a peanut butter oreo. I was stunned :shock: that the cookies did not contain milk.

I made a cheese cake tonight http://www.vegancooking.com/recipes/cheesecake.htm since my local sobeys just started selling tofutti cream cheese. The filling would also make an excellent fruit dip uncooked or be delicious on fruit pizza. The cheese cake is really really good. You might even be able to pass it off as real cheesecake. I used oreo crumbs, and topped with cherry pie filling. YUM YUM!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

LAst time I was looking (2 months ago), the mini Oreo's were ok buyt the regular Oreo's contained or may contain(ed) milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 pm 

It was the regular sized ones...I phoned this morning because it seemed too good to be true. They said that they were confident that they did not need to have a "may contain" warning on them. They have made a lot of efforts lately to remove "may contain " warnings and to provide more products that only contain the ingredients that they are suppost to. Many products are made on lines without milk, and the equiptment that is shared is dilligently washed and sterilized. They have removed some warnings lately because they have greatly improved the manufacturing process.

I asked if they had a list of their milk/egg/nut free products and they did not. The representative said that ingredients change all the time, so it would be impossible to keep an accurate list. She will look into it and e-mail more info to me if she finds it...which I will pass on if I get any.

For now, adding oreo cookies (and baking crumbs ) to my list of safe snacks is extremely exciting. I even had cheesecake for breakfast, even though I usually eat really healthy. It was that good!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:48 pm 

The Oreos changed a couple of weeks ago!!! (can't really say months, it's extremely recent...) Carefull as some older ones are still on the shelves as the change is recent... but it is great to eat Oreos again!!! (don't over do it on the double creams ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:04 pm 

I did not realize that safe oreos was only a new development. I felt really stupid, and annoyed that I did not know about them...but if they have only been available a short while I'm not quite so irritated that I have never purchased them.

Susan...you knew about mini oreos and did not post it!! :lol: What else is everyone eating that I do not know about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Oops! :oops:
Let's see:
Fruitloops Winders
Presidents Choice Mini Marshmallows
Alpha-Bits
Skittles (Original)
Dads Oatmeal Cookies
Swedish Berries
Honey Graham Teddy Bear Cookies

We only have milk and egg allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:33 pm 

I haven't tried at least half of the items on your list. I 'm particurily excited about the dads cookies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:47 pm 

To add to the list. Our allergies are peanut, milk and egg. At last purchase these were safe for us:

Dare Simple Pleasure Maple cookies, oatmeal and cinnamon
Peak Frean - Nice
Oatmeal Teddy Grahams
No Name Graham Wafers
Betty hamburger buns and hot dog buns
Chapman's Sorbet line "ice cream" (chocolate, raspberry, orange...)
PC Raspberry Gelato (very nice)

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:44 pm 

I love nice cookies, nut haven't had them in a long time...I assumed they were forbidden.

Also,
Arrowroot cookies
Farleys buscuits (can be crushed and added to baking for extra nutriotion )
Motts Pina Colada mix (for mommy and daddy) great with or without alcohol
Brown sugar mini wheats
Raisin Bran Crunch ( my favorite cereal )
Mc Cain smiles regular. These are made seperate from the cheddar
Mc cain superfries
Premium plus crackers
PC decedant chocolate chips
PC swedish meatballs
PC Ribbits
Old el Paso soft taco and fajita kits
shake-n-bake
Catelli healthy harvest pasta

Also, I had been using frys cocoa. They now have a may contain milk warning since they changed factories. I had stocked up while old "safe" stock was available, but I am running low. What other cocoa is safe? Where did you buy it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:10 pm 

I checked the Fry's Cocoa at my local store and it had no warning. I phoned the company and they told me that the cocoa is produced in 2 factories - one is milk free and the other is not. The woman I spoke to said that availability of safe cocoa would depend on which factory supplied your store. We have also used Our Compliments cocoa. It is sold by Foodland here in Ontario. I stocked up anyways. Cocoa is a necessity.

Thinking of cocoa - there was a good milk/egg/nut free truffle recipe in last year's Anaphylaxis Canada newsletter. I will look it up and post it soon for anyone who is interested. My 4 year old is looking forward to her truffle ups - as she calls them.