You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bread Recipes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:25 pm 

As soccermom mentioned in another thread - the bread machine is a very useful invention. Mine is running right now - making pizza dough. :)

If you have any really good recipes you want to share, post them here - or if you are looking for something either post here or start a new thread.

Soccermom, what is focaccia bread? Is it that braided bread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:15 am 

AnnaMarie,

I cheated and googled the definition of focaccia bread, as I didn't know how to describe it. All I know is it is quite tasty!

Focaccia is a flat bread topped with spices and other products, which is related to modern pizza. The basic recipe is thought by some to have originated with the Etruscans or ancient Greeks.

It is quite popular in Italy and is usually seasoned with olive oil and herbs, topped with cheese and meat or flavored with a number of vegetables. Focaccia doughs are similar in style and texture to pizza doughs consisting of high-gluten flour, oil, water, sugar, salt and yeast.

Focaccia is used extensively as a sandwich bread.

Focaccia is typically rolled out or pressed by hand into thick layer of dough and baked in a stone-bottom or hearth oven . Bakers often puncture the bread with a knife to relieve bubbling on the surface of the bread. Large bubbles may ruin Focaccia as it creates a "pocket" of air and renders the bread useless for sandwiches.

Focaccia can be used as a side to many meals, as a base for pizza or as sandwich bread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:36 pm 

Yum! I'm getting hungry just reading this! Do you have a recipe for focaccia bread? (hopefully for one that can be made in the bread machine). Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:36 am 

Bread Machine Focaccia (for small machines that make 1 lb loaves)

3/4 cup water
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp yeast
3 tblsp dried onion flakes
1 minced clove garlic

Combine ingredients in machine and set on dough cycle. Once done, press dough into a 12 x 10 inch rectangle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place (I use oven with a light on if it is cool in the kitchen) for 30 minutes. Meanwhile mix 2 tblsp olive oil, 1 minced clove garlic and 1 tsp each dried rosemary and basil together. Brush on dough and sprinkle with 2 tblsp grated parmesan cheese (if allowed). If desired, press pieces of black or green olives or softened sun dried tomatoes into dough. Bake at 400° F for 15-20 minutes or until browned. Cut into squares and serve warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:53 pm 

Thank you! Can't wait to try it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:04 pm 

I was given a really old book with some bread recipes in it. My step-mother found it at a yard sale or something. Anyway, it has a few recipes that are cooked in a slow-cooker. Inside of a tin can. I'm thinking that was the original bread machine. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:36 pm 

I recently made this dough recipe in my bread machine (2lb machine) to make buns. The buns turned out really good and I think the next time I make them I'll make them larger and see if we can use them for hamburger buns.

Crusty Rolls (2lb bread machine)
1 1/3c luke warm milk
1 1/2tsp salt
2Tbsp Butter or Margarine
1 1/3c white flour
2 1/3c whole wheat flour
1tsp yeast

1. Measure ingredients in order into baking pan.
2. insert baking pan & close lid
3. Select dough setting
4. When dough setting is completed, divide dough into 16 equal pieces
5. Shape each piece into a 2" ball & place on greased baking sheet
6. Cover & let rise for 50-60min, or until doubled in size. Place a pan of hot water on lower rack of oven
7. Bake in a preheated 375degree F oven for 17-20min

Note: Instead of making them into balls, I flattened them a bit so they looked more like a pancake then a ball. Which is why I think they may work for hamburger buns!