You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:10 pm 

I know this company has been mentioned in a few threads in this forum, but I just found a web-site for it.

None of their breads have peanuts, nuts, or sesame seeds. There are some other seeds though, so if you have other allergies you can check the products page on their web-site.

www.dimpflmeierbakery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:58 pm 

Thanks for posting this AnnaMarie! I buy a loaf or two of the light rye every month, and we all love it. Of the seeds, our son is allergic to sesame, sunflower and poppy seed. He has had no problem with eating the particular bread I've mentioned - we have not tried any of the others. Now that I can see there are seeds other than sesame, I'm going to check on the possiblity for cross contamination, but just wanted to mention he has had no trouble.eating the light rye bread.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:14 pm 

Do their breads have dairy or egg in them? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm 

I buy their bread regularly too. No allergies to sesame but just really love their bread. I was at the grocery store today and noticed an apple strudel by Dimpflmeier -- I didn't know they made these types of baked goods. Because I know their breads are safe for those avoiding peanuts/nuts too, I thought maybe this item might be safe...unfortunately it had a "may contain nuts" warning. I wonder if this is a new product, if it changes the safety of their bread for the nut allergic too? (I know you guys are avoiding nuts as well as sesame...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:10 pm 

lakeswimr wrote:
Do their breads have dairy or egg in them? Thanks!

I don't know about all their breads, but I checked a loaf earlier today it did have some milk product (can't remember if it said milk, or whey, or what).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:38 pm 

Thanks for the info ethansmom. I can't say for sure, but when I called the bakery some time ago (maybe a year or so ago?) they had indicated that there are separate manufacturing facilities for different products. But still, I think it would be best for us (AnnaMarie and others with sesame and nut allergies) to double check the possibility of cross contamination of this bread product - thanks for letting us know.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:02 pm 

Sesame Seed Alert!

I went to the Dimpflmeier bakery this morning. Usually I get my loaves at No Frills but decided I wanted them fresh today. I was talking to a baker about the buns and he said he wouldn't have them but that the bagged labelled bread is safe as it is in a separate sesame free facility. However, much to my dismay, I found a loaf called something like Organic Multigrain Rye - and sesame seeds are in the actual ingredients. This is the first I have ever seen this and I am very familiar with all their rye loaves because we have been buying them for a couple of years. The baker was not even aware of it.

This post will have to be continued as I have to follow up with the offices on a week day. I have to determine if they really may only 1 of all the rye breads on a separate line (not likely?) - and if they don't, why there are no sesame traces warnings on all the other rye loaves.

This is a heads up to all the Dimp. bread eaters to keep being vigilant about reading your ingredients.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:05 am 

Thanks Ginger, we do buy Dimpflmeier now and then....and feed it to our son! I'll wait to hear what you find out before buying any more. grrrrrr..hate those sesame seeds!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:36 am 

Thank you Ginger.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:34 am 

I talked to Dimplfmeier this morning. The office says that the Organic Multigrain Rye is the only rye loaf that contains sesame - and that it is made on a separate line. The lady also says the bagged hamburger and hot dog buns are made on a separate line.

She said the risk of sesame getting into them was the same as getting into your house - like if it came in on your shoe.

I think we will continue eating them - and just avoid all the multigrains so we don't accidentally make a mistake...

This is somewhat good news...though whenever I talk to the store I don't get a feeling that they want to be overly helpful!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:16 am 

I emailed them also and very quickly was sent a response, similar to what was told to you Ginger. I did have to email back as my questions about sesame seeds weren't answered. The answer that they are kept separate I assume means they are made at the nut facility??? I think we will still buy this bread also, if their practices haven't changed regarding handling allergens and since we haven't had an issue before I don't foresee any issue in the future.
And it is yummy bread :D .

Hello, our son is anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame among other foods (not relative to bread). Even trace amounts (from being produced on the same line, shared storing facility of the ingredients etc) can cause him to have an anaphylactic reaction.

Would you please confirm for me :
1.That there are no products made in the same facility or produced on the same lines which contain nuts/peanuts/sesame seeds - as your breads with no sesame warning.

2.That there are no nuts/peanuts/sesame seeds stored or handled in the same area or facility where your breads which are not labeled with a sesame warning are processed.

3.If you do have any products containing sesame seeds are these made at a different location or at the same facility?

Quote:
We are in the process of redoing our out of date website. There are NO peanuts anywhere. There are nuts in a separate but parallel facility. We have an excellent cross contamination program and believe there would be a very minimal chance of any allergen reaching our bread. About as much chance as someone bringing an allergen into your home on a shoe and it finding its way into your home products. I hope this helps you make your decision. We are extremely careful but 99.9 only.

I have heard that you may now have a bread with sesame seeds. If this is true is it being made at the nut facility?
Thank you so much for your speedy reply to my email. Very much appreciated.

Quote:

We do have sesame seeds and they are kept separate.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 pm 

Reply to me was similar -- but I was not told sesame seeds are separate.

After getting reply about peanuts/nuts I asked

What about sesame seeds? Are they in your facility?

and the reply was:

Yes they are.

~~

I am not feeling safe with them anymore. I guess I'll be back to using my bread machine daily.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:34 pm 

AnnaMarie, that also makes me wonder if they really take allergens seriously or if they in fact know what they are talking about. Either way how is it possible to get two different answers in the same morning???????????
I agree, after your response from them I think I will stay away from their bread now. I don't get why some companies can't answer our questions in a clear cut manner. I make my questions as clear and exact as I can in order to avoid any confusing answers, it doesn't always work :roll: .

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:35 pm 

Yes I'm not feeling as confident as I used to with this 1 loaf of bread. I'll let is sit again for a few months, then ask them again! Maybe I'll also ask them for an educational tour for my son so he can see how food processing works. That might be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:41 pm 

It is bothering me now, we go out of our way to ask questions and send emails to keep us/our kids safe. Is it that hard to get a clear answer, one response should have been suifficient, yet here I am sending a third email. :banghead
I just sent another letter to her, I really don't think there is anyway she can possibly not give a clear answer to my question regarding sesame seeds now .....hopefully?

I apologize for bothering you again ...BUT..... :-) .....after I thought about it for a while I still feel I am unsure about the sesame seed thing. When I asked if they were made at the nut facility your reply was that you do have sesame seeds but they are kept separate. When you say separate do you mean separate as in a different building/for example the one which produces the nut products. Or by separate do you mean in the same building which makes 'non' sesame marked bread but on different lines?
I hope you don't mind the further clarification. I just can't afford to not make sure my understanding is clear in order to keep my son safe.
A grateful mom,

After thinking about it I realized I needed to be even more clear when asking my question. So I sent this email back.

I thought it might help avoid any confusion if I re-worded my question regarding sesame seeds. .........
I am referring to your breads (made at your nut /peanut free facility) which have no sesame warning or sesame 'may contain' statement. I am trying to find out if these breads are in fact safe for those allergic to sesame seeds. Are these breads made in a facility free entirely from sesame seeds - including storing, handling, processing and packaging? .......

I hope that helps clarify what it is I am trying to, well, clarify.

Last edited by BC2007 on Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.