You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Admin

For some reason, it doesn't seem to conatin information on the allergen mustard...wasn't this recently added?

Quote:
As Food Allergy Awareness Month draws to a close, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Health Canada have published information on the most common food allergens into one consumer-friendly booklet.

The booklet provides easy access to crucial information, such as:
-common sources and names for the most common food allergens
-ways to avoid allergic reactions
-symptoms of an allergic reaction
-treatment of food allergies

The booklet, Common Food Allergies: A Consumer's Guide to Managing the Risks is now available through these websites:
-the Government of Canada food safety website: www.healthycanadians.ca
-the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website: www.inspection.gc.ca

Canadians are encouraged to help share this important information found in the booklet with those living with a food allergy and others who may also benefit from a greater understanding of the issue, such as parents, caregivers, colleagues and classmates.

Order calling 1-800-442-2342/TTY 1-800-465-7735 or 1-800-O-Canada and distribute this booklet.
-Link this booklet to your website.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/government-of-canada-releases-new,1322899.shtml

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:45 am 

The direct link is here: http://inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/la ... erge.shtml

I had a look at the Peanut Allergy link. It states, "While tree nuts and peanuts are different, in some rare cases people with a peanut allergy also react to one or more tree nuts."

RARE cases? Is this accurate? Most people I know are allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts. Is it really that rare?

http://inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/la ... arae.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:23 am 

Actually, people I know IRL -- I don't know any that are allergic to both. I do not eat nuts or may contain nuts -- but I've never actually reacted to it. When I first developed my allergies, companies listed them together and I had to avoid both. Now, they separate them -- but I've never tried to see if I could eat nuts. Things are good - I don't want to upset my system by suddenly reintroducing nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:48 am 

...ok I feel old, I had to Goggle what IRL meant. :roll:
Our son tests positive to all tree nuts now as well as peanuts. Reactions to both. I now however realize you weren't referring to us online Allergy Mama's.

I think one great step about having such inclusive allergy information on a government website is that it will hold some weight that we are talking about something 'real' and potentially 'deadly'.

I'd sign off with some really cool acronym right now to show I really am cool......but I haven't finished my coffee yet so my brain isn't quite functioning as it should....and my 11 year old is still in bed so I can't pick her brain. :rofl

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:28 pm 

I ordered some of these so I can have them hanging around for when people are doubtful or unsure of the allergies.. It's great that we can order these things for free.. When I called they were out of the peanut ones though, it wasn't available, but I did get the milk and egg ones.. (none for beef - not common enough).