You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:44 pm 

So I found out this week that my 12 year old son has been leaving his Twinject in his locked locker in his classroom (which may also be locked from time to time). This is happening after years of carrying it in his waist pack, which, as far as we were concerned, was a hard and fast rule. His 17 year old brother has never failed to carry his Twinject on his person at all times, so I did not expect this from my 12 year old (whose reactions have been more severe that those of his older brother). He says it is "annoying" to have to carry it all the time. I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice, warning others of the unpredictability of pre-teens, or just venting, but I am not happy about this!

everybodysdifferent
ds 17 nuts
ds 12 dairy
ds 7 allergy free

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:50 am 

My kids are young - 3 and 5, and so far have been compliant about wearing their kozy epi belts, but I worry about when the time comes that they will resist.

There is another thread where someone talks about sewing a pocket for the epipen in the inseam of jeans between the knee and ankle, I presume, so it's not as noticeable for boys. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5434 It's the last couple pages of this thread.

Maybe that would work better for your son? Hope you're able to find a good solution for both of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 am 

Welcome Everybodysdifferent,
I thought once I got through the infancy age and moved to the toddler years allergery issues would get easier :freak . I fear (and I is most likely true) that the most difficult years are still to come........... I am glad you found a place to vent...talk , relate to other allergy folks. All I can do is let you know you are not alone. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Maybe his older brother can talk to him about the importance of having it clase by and help him deal with it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:10 am 

I agree about having his older brother talk to him about it. But I would also ask him if anything happened at school to make him suddenly feel it is "annoying". Just remember, boys tend to be much less open and talkative. When I was in high school, there was an incident where a classmate of mine was play fighting with his friend and wanted something to throw at him. He took my epipen case which was on my desk and threw it at his friend. It landed on the floor and the grey cap was partially off. I needed to buy a new epipen and was so traumatized because I worried that if something happened to be....I wouldn't have my meds. After that, I am pretty sure I kept mine in my locker too because I wanted it to be protected. All my friends knew my lock combination in case of anything and after a while, I brought it out again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 pm 

Get his older brother to talk to him. You'd be surprised how younger brother look up to older brothers. Perhaps someone was making fun of him at school, esp. if he keeps it in a waist pack. He is at that age where boys stop talking about their feelings (I grew up with my three male cousins) and that was probably the hardest age for peer pressure, at least for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 am 

You said you're not sure if you're looking for advice. If you are - read on. Warning - This is going to be harsh!

At the age of 12 he can probably tolerate reading some articles about people who neglected to carry their epi with them and died!

We had an incident in our school division 10+ years ago where a 14 yo girl died who had her epi in her locker and by the time her friend got to the locker and brought the epi to the gym it was too late. Tragic for everyone - the girl and also for the friend. Does your son want to put his death on someone else? There's also the business man who ate at a business lunch buffet with his epi in his briefcase in his car. He got to his car but died before he could administer.

Scary? You bet. But maybe he needs a reality check. Annoying? too bad!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, very scary! Sabrina Shannon's epipen was also in her locker on the day she died...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 pm 

My daughter found it more convenient to have her epipen in a zipped section of her binder once she started middle school. There was always one in the school office too. That way there was always an epipen readily accessible. In elementary school I found a lunch kit with a separate zipped section so that the epipen was always handy when they were eating.

It is far more inconvenient to have a reaction and not have the needed life-saving meds readily availble.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm 

It is tough! It did help to see a video about Sabrina and her story for it to sink in when my daughter was 12.

We have talked about why the epipen isn't smaller to make it easier to carry around. Does it really have to be so large?

We have also talked about other ways for teens to be able to carry them. I like the binder idea but students often leave their binder in their locker for lunch time. This is one case where I think being a girl is easier since they can carry a purse.

The jeans idea is very interesting but don't see it working for my teen. I just wish cargo pants were really fashionable!!