You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:22 am 

I haven't been able to log into this site for quite some time, so thought I'd sign up again.
I'm Erin, and an have severe Oral Allergy Syndrome, severe in the way that my reactions are anaphylactic. Not the "typical" itchy mouth and throat type reactions. I am okay with most vegetables but most fruit's I can't eat unless of course, they're canned or cooked.
I am also allergic to tree nuts, except for almonds, and again am have ana reactions. Penicillin and cefalosporins as well. I am sensitive to latex (cross reaction with some of the foods I can't eat) which I am exposed to all the time as I work in a hospital. I also have environmental allergies (which are tied in with the OAS) and very well controlled asthma.

We have 4 kids, but only 2 with allergies. Brandon who is 9.5 years old, has a severe egg and all egg product allergy. He was diagnosed (the hard way) at 10 months old. He also has asthma, and is allergic to cats and seasonal outdoor stuff. Egg is his only anaphylactic allergy.

Our 4 year old Connor, cannot have Morphine. As far as we know, that is it for him, although a pharmacist said if he can't have morphine he also can't have codiene. He was given morphine after a surgery he had, and his O2 sats dropped to 82% and stayed there, his respirations were shallow, his BP had dropped but I don't remember to what. It took him about 6 hours to "come to" after his surgery whereas it should have taken him less than an hour. So, we were told no morphine after that. Is it an allergy? Not sure, it doesn't matter. He reacts to is anyway.

So, that is us........I hope to get to know you all!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:57 pm 

Hi Erin,

(Re) welcome to the forum!

Yes, this is a great resource, isn't it? I learn new things on here all the time.

Take care.