You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Daiya" vegan cheese
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:54 pm 

I just read an article in the May 31st issue of Macleans magazine about a new dairy-free cheese called "Daiya". It is apparently invented by Canadians, but they are still having labelling issues so it is not yet widely marketed in Canada. I see it is available in some selected Canadian health food stores as long as it has been re-packaged.

Has anyone tried it? My son is eager to try pizza, but we have never found a reasonable casein-free melting cheese (the Tofutti slices just aren't the same thing - and he doesn't like them anyway).

It sure sounds promising.... I hope it's available soon!

http://www.daiyafoods.com/index.html

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/05/25/for- ... oly-grail/

Post subject: Re: "Daiya" vegan cheese
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:46 pm 

Wow - if it lives up to the hype - Wow! That would be amazing. We could try so many different things!
I will have to get my Toronto relatives to bring us some soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 am 

I read this in MacLean's too, and was pretty excited by article. I'd definitely be interested in trying it if it were available locally. Although we are going down to the US this summer and may check if it's available close to where we are going.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:08 pm 

Hi, my in-laws picked some up for us when they were in the states. It's not too bad. I made nacho for my son with cheese on-top. I also made mac n'cheese for him and he ate that too.

It's different but not too bad. Has a very garlic smell to it.

My aunt in Toronto will be picking some more up for us as we can't find it here. Good thing it can be easily frozen.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

AJsMom, do you recall - no 'may contain' warnings?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:09 pm 

Sorry...can't remember any "may contain" . However I am getting more this weekend so I will post what it says.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 pm 

This sounds like a great idea.. I can't wait to try some, I just have to wait until someone I know is going to toronto or NY...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:55 pm 

:cry: not getting any this weekend. There are 2 stores in Toronto that sell it and both were sold out. I called one store and she said that she can't keep them on the shelves they sell out so fast. When I called her she said there were only 3 left...by the time my aunt got there they were gone.
Next time round.

Daiya will ship them in bulk..but I haven't actually tried it that way. I'm going to hold out for a bit longer to have my aunt try to pick some up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 am 

So I got the Daiya cheese..my son's worker was in Toronto this weekend. The store she went to gets it in bulk sizes then separates the bulk package into smaller packages for selling.

So the risk of "may contains" just increased hugely because the store is doing this in the back room. The person doing it has gloves and a hair net on...but still.

You can order the big bulk bags directly they told her, they bags are $60 then I'm not sure about shipping.

Sorry I'm not much more help then that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 am 
Site Admin

If you have a local support group, you might consider going a larger order and dividing it up yourselves. You could arrange in advance for controls to ensure there is no cross contamination (we're all pros at it!). :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:02 am 

We did get some..we are okay with it being re-package. Anyone else with other allergies it may not be good for.

I have 3 packages of cheddar and 2 of mozza. I made pizza yesterday for him and he loved the pizza. :happydance

The cheese freezes, which is great. Whenever we do go to Toronto we will get some. We found it at The Big Carrot, however it's so much in demand right now the cheese doesn't stay on the shelf long. Hopefully that will change soon :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:50 pm 

How does this cheese compare with the Earth Island cheese? I'd love to know, since I have been using Earth Island.

thanks,
boys' mom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 pm 

I can't compare to Earth Island cheese...he can't have it because of the soy.

It comes grated and melts very easy. I have made grilled cheese, mac and cheese and pizza(using mozza style) so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am 

Organza Food Market in Wiinnipeg now carries Daiya!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:23 pm 

I found some Daiya at a vegan store in New Westminster, BC (suburb of Vancouver): http://www.karmavore.ca/shop_item.php?pcatid=6&id=1274 The woman at the store said once the package is opened, the contents have to be frozen, so she puts small portions into ziplocs for her freezer. I bought a large bag, and while I've tried it and liked it, I really really hope DS likes it too!

They also carry some natural marshmallows that are made in a nut free facility.http://www.karmavore.ca/shop_item.php?pcatid=7&id=1145