You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:38 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this... so please move it if necessary..

My 18 month old daughter has recently had a string of illnesses. In the past 2 weeks she has been bitten by some bug, and all 5 bites have gotten infected, our family doctor thinks it may be an allergic reaction to a bug.. just not sure what. Anyway, she has also had an ear infection, throat infection, getting 2 teeth in, and then this last week she got a terrible stomach bug, and ended up in the hospital for 2 days.

We brought her home last night, and I noticed yesterday afternoon she was getting what I thought was a diaper rash from all the diarrhea, as it was in the general diaper area and on her thighs. This morning, I've noticed that whenever she has a bowel movement, she breaks out in hives all over her body. I have been using Benydryl for them, and it works for the most part, though her body is still splochy at any given time.

She does have sensitive skin, and reacts to perfumes and such, but I don't know what could be causing this... has anyone had this experience when your LO is sick? Should I be calling the allergist to check for any new allergies? I'm kind of at a loss on what to do. I wonder if it's just because her body has been under attack for so long, it can't fight the histimine affect?

jacqui

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm kind of at a loss on what to do.

I don't blame you, that is confounding. If it were me, I'd call the allergist, and ask for short-term advice. They may want you to come in, too, but that will probably take until the first cancellation ...

You've got hives w/ diarrhea & stomach symptoms. Maybe just virus & sensitive skin, but that's a lot of symptoms that can also relate to food allergy. Was there anything suspect in what she ate before all this began?

Poor baby must be pretty uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 pm 

thanks for the reply.. I don't think it was food related, as she started with the vomiting and diarrhea on Tuesday of last week, admitted to the hospital on Friday night, and the rash started yesterday (Sunday). I will call the allergist tomorrow, if she still has the rash, which is what it has pretty much become. She is rashy from head to toe. :( Luckily, she doesn't seem to be too itchy, but I gave her an oatmeal bath tonight to help a bit.

I just hope she didn't catch anything from the hospital stay.. and it's just a sensitive skin thing... though this is the rashiest she's ever been.

jacqui

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

The sheets and detergent possibly an issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:01 am 

Or maybe the diapers she was given at the hospital? I hope you find an answer quickly! It's so awful when the little ones get sick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 am 

I thought about the detergent residue from the sheets and blankets at the hospital.. still a possibility. She did have them on her bare skin, as we kept her in just a diaper most of the time, as everything would get soaked through quite frequently. She had her own diapers.

She woke up this morning with not much rash... so I'm just hoping it stays that way today. :) If the rash does come back, I'm going to take her to urgent care.

jacqui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 am 

Me & my kids all have crazy sensitive skin, I do find that my allergies (environmental) are MUCH worse when I'm sick, it seems to put my immuse system in a state of overreaction. Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:18 pm 

thanks Becky... that does make sense to me. I was noticing today that her skin gets worse when she gets upset.. so I think you may be right...

jacqui

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:15 am 

My kids are like that too! I call it a 'mad rash', when they wer little and would have a crying fit they wouldn't just turn red, but it would actually become a mild rash. Now it can happen in small areas if they are stressed or anxious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:47 am 

Gertiegirl, I was wondering if your little one was put on any antibiotics? Our Ds has horrid diaper rash when on antibiotics or any medicine. Last year he was on antibiotics for 8 ear infections in 10 months which basically meant 80 days of diaper rash. He has just awful diaper rash the entire time he is on antibiotics as it goes through his system. A few antibiotics (they had to keep changing them) also gave him AWFUL diarrhea to the point where one day I went through a brand new pack of diapers in the 9 hours my husband was at work.
We thought it was a stomach bug until we realized it was the new antibiotics throwing his stomach off.

Hopefully she is back to normal by now. Poor little thing, it is just awful when they are so tiny and sick.
:huggy

Becky, I like the name...
Quote:
I call it a 'mad rash',
:lol: Our DS has also been able to since infancy work himself up into an almost complete body rash/hives when really angry. Like your kids it isn't just red from crying, but even once he stops there is a definite red rash and many time hives show also.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:05 am 
Site Admin

No advice here but tons of sympathy! :huggy
Poor little thing!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:41 pm 

thanks all for the responses! Luckily V is back to normal! I do believe it was more of a "mad rash" as Becky put it... though she was on antibiotics for about a week before she ended up in the hospital.. I believe they weren't the cause.. :)

BC2007.. have you considered tubes for your son's ears? V's doc was going to refer us on for them if she had another ear infection (she's had 3 now in the past 6 months) I'm just not sure if they are going to refer us still. Poor thing with all those diaper rashes... that is awful :( have you tried probiotics while on the antibiotics? I don't recall all your son's allergies, but we got V the probiotic capsules and were sprinkling them in her yogurt... could put them in any soft food... applesauce, etc... I am continuing her on them for awhile... just to make sure everything is good!

jacqui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 pm 

Hi Gertiegirl,
Once we were referred to an ENT he rushed our son's surgery and within a few weeks of our first visit with him the tubes were in due to the asthma constant flare up for a year :| . DS had tubes put in both ears Feb. 1st.....no infections....no (ear related) asthma flare ups and no diaper rash since. :swing He also only said FIVE words as of Feb. 1st (2 1/2) and now he has hundreds of words. :banana

OH, most importantly, I am so glad your DD is well. I'm sure you could use some rest now!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:14 pm 

BC2007.. that's great to hear! V is 19 months now... and only says 2-3 words.. I don't know if that's due to her ears or not... I know her doc was a bit concerned about her speech..

I AM ready for some rest! I just hope it comes soon.. this poor little one is getting another tooth in now... and not sleeping well.. sigh.. if it's not one thing.. it's another...LOL.. guess it comes with the territory.. :)