You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:05 pm 

Can you give me the direct link for this? Thanks!

BC2007 wrote:

I found this link on the Ontario Student Transportation Services site. I was told they would administer the epipen and this looks like it confirms they will as it is a form giving them consent to do so.

Emergency Administration of Epinephrine (EPI PEN) Form 5.4A
Southwestern Ontario Student Transportation Services (“STS”) recognizes that during the regular course of home to
school transportation, it may be necessary to immediately administer the medication epinephrine, using the EPIPEN autoinjector,
to students who have a life threatening allergic reaction. It is the role of STS to support transportation service
providers in implementing this measure, noting that should a bus driver have occasion to administer an EPIPEN autoinjector,
he/she does so in accordance with the policy of STS, and applying the “in loco parentis” principle, not as a health
care professional.
Student Information
Student Name: DOB: (mm/dd/yyyy)
Parent/Guardian Name:
Address:
Telephone #: Alternate Telephone #:
Emergency Contact Name: Telephone #:
Place Student Photo Here
Please check all that apply:
The child has a potentially life threatening allergy (anaphylaxis) to:
Peanut Tree Nuts Wheat Egg Milk Insect Stings (bees/wasps) Latex
Other ___________________________________________________________________________
Medication _______________________________________________________________________
Physician’s Statement
In my opinion, the following procedure is medically appropriate for the above-named student and should be administered
during school transportation if required.
An EpiPen Auto-Injector
I confirm that I have explained fully the nature, effect and possible side effects of such treatment to the pupil and to the
parent and/or guardian.
Physician’s Name (Print) _________________________________________ Phone Number:______________________
Physician’s Signature__________________________________________________ Date: _________________________
Parent/Guardian Authorization and Release
Notice of Collection Statement Special Needs/Medical
I ________________________________________acknowledge that STS services will be provided on
(Parent/Guardian Signature)
the terms described herein and in STS policy and procedure 5.4. I agree to inform STS as soon as any of the information
on this form changes. I consent to the sharing of this information between STS, the school board and the service
provider for the purpose of student transportation arrangements. Where necessary, I hereby permit STS to access any
personal/medical information held by STS and/or the School Board and to share this information with the School Board
and the service provider for the purpose of safely transporting students.
For STS Use Only
School Vehicle Operator
AM Stop Location AM Run ID
PM Stop Location PM Run ID
Notice of Collection: Southwestern Ontario Student Transportation Services (“STS”) acts on behalf of your school board and contracts transportation service providers to
arrange transportation to and from school for eligible students. The personal information you provide on this form will be shared with the relevant staff of STS, school board
and transportation provider for the purpose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 pm 

Just for the record, I'm much more concerned about the safety of the other children.

If someone were to take his epi and accidentally stab themselves or someone else..while I know it's typically not harmful...

I mean, there isn't any supervision on that bus except the driver, who is busy driving.

Anyways, the only solution that I've come up with is a monitor as well.

I will let the principal get his hands dirty with this one for a bit, and when there isn't a 'solution' that I'm happy with, I will request a monitor. This will be good for my older child too.

Whoever suggested it, we did consider a taxi for my other child, however, he is now capable of taking the bus safely with seatbelt. This doesn't keep my 5 year old (and maybe the 3 year old, but he's not as adventerous) from playing with it. KWIM?
And then, would a taxi driver give it if needed?

Oh this is getting fun :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 pm 

http://mybigyellowbus.com/docs/5.4A%20A ... 20Form.pdf

I hope it all works out for you whatever route you decide to take. Good Luck!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

I can't think of any story where a child has taken an Epipen and stuck him/herself while on the school bus. I know that my daughter took the school bus for 4 years with no such incident. we only stopped takingthe bus when we changed daycare providers.

I'd be happy to come into the school and talk to students, teachers or parents about anaphylaxis and the treatments. All of our friends have had the trainer lecture and most have participated in jab the orange as well.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

katec wrote:
This doesn't sound right - please contact the transportation department at your school board office. There has to be a policy for allergic students to get to school safely especially since we have Bill 3 in Ontario. Students are not expected to self administer. Honestly, I wouldn't want the epipen left with the driver as I mentioned before. If the epipen is with your child, then you can be sure it will be available to use when needed and won't be sitting on a hot or cold bus between runs (making the epipen ineffective).

I would explain the situation to the transportation department and have them come up with a plan to get your child safely to school. That is their job. You should not have to worry about this. If taking a bus is not the safest way to school for your child then alternative transportation arrangements will need to be made by the board which would most likely be a taxi. Children with a wide variety of health needs (children with feeding tubes, epilepsy, diabetes) require special bus plans and do make it to school safely. Your child can expect to have his needs met too.

I like the way you think! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb