You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sha Sha bakery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 pm 

We found Cocoa Snaps from a company called Sha Sha Co. at Sobey's last night, labeled Peanut/tree nut free. I looked up their company online shashabread.com and it looks very promising as far as allergens. I will contact them to confirm sesame but it looks good so far. I see they use legume flours so I'll look into that also. Their website is incredible, they are accountable for their carbon footprint, they it looks like they support endless community events (Daily bread food bank and charities/fundraisers). Impressive.

ShaSha Co.

A Canadian company that supports organic and sustainable farming , processors, educators and supplier chains. We are conscious of our part in the greater world order and here are a few of our local contributions since 1998, starting with our own back yard, Toronto and GTA.

Q: What products do you have that are Soy Free?

A: All our breads are soy free. Our soy free cookies are: Spelt Ginger Snaps, and our Spelt Lemon Poppy Snaps. These products are made with sunflower oil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Are there any milk or other dairy products in your products?

A: No, we do not use milk or any other dairy products in any of products.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Are there any nuts, or nut traces in your products?

A: the plant that the cookies are made in is a nut free plant, meaning we do not use any nuts in our products whatsoever. (This includes peanuts)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Are your products vegan?

A: Our breads are all vegan. Only our Ginger snaps contain eggs. Our Spelt Ginger Snaps, Cocoa Snaps, and Spelt Lemon Snaps contain Raw Honey.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sha Sha bakery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:49 pm 

Yup, we've been eating their stuff regularly. The cocoa snaps are well loved in our house!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 pm 

Alison's Mom, I assume then if your family eats them they are sesame free? It it too good to be true?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:41 pm 

:thanksign

I'll have to hunt these down

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:43 pm 

Costco only here...I don't have a Costco membership.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 am 

Sorry, not sure about sesame. DD used to be able to eat sesame no problem, so we never worried about it. She has had one mild reaction so far, and skin tested positive for it. I know this might not be the prudent thing to do, but we are currently avoiding only actual sesame and not 'may contains'. Yes, I know that people have said they are are very sensitive to trace amounts of sesame. . . . :oops:

OK, I just checked the label again and it lists ingredients on the back, and then on the front near the bottom it says 'may contain traces of egg'. I know this also might not be prudent, but if I know a company is allergy aware, and they have a precautionary statement, I assume they mean no traces of top allergens not listed in their ingredients or precautionary statements. And FWIW, DD has almost outgrown her egg allergy (she can have it baked into muffins, etc), and DS's egg allergy is not anaphylactic so they eat may contain egg products.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:01 pm 

For anyone who shops there here's a coupon 25% of $50 I believe only the retail store.

http://shashasjournal.blogspot.com/2010 ... -2010.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:21 pm 

They have great products, their little heart shaped ginger snaps are a favorite here. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'm confused on the ginger snaps. I always see them in Sobey's, but whenever I've checked there's a soy may contain.
Maybe there are spelt and non-spelt snaps?

Becky - if you have a package, what does it say re soy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:34 pm 

I"m sorry, I don't have a package, they are not readily available (bought a bunch of hearts at valentines day). I'm pretty sure I looked into ordering some by mail though, the shipping was expensive, but I think they do ship...

Found it, here's the cookie page:
http://www.shashabread.com/online_retai ... ps_cookies

Here's the ingredients of the regular ginger snaps:
Ingredients: Non-treated Unbleached Whole Wheat Flour, Unbleached Brown Sugar, Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Eggs, Canola Oil, Non-pasteurized Raw Honey, Filtered Water, Spices, Soy Lecithin, Molasses, Ginger, Non-Aluminium Baking Powder, Sea Salt.

and the Spelt Ginger Snaps:
Spelt does contain gluten similar to Wheat.

Ingredients: Organic Spelt Flour, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Filtered Water, In-House Organic Expeller-Pressed Sunflower Oil, Organic Malt Extract, Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Organic Honey, Organic Spices, Organic Molasses, Organic Ginger, Non-GMO Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Non Aluminium Baking Powder, Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)