You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 am 

I'm really agonizing about what to do for lunch next year, as DS moves into grade 1. We live fairly close to the school, and I'm a sahm. In many ways I want him home for lunch, but I don't want him to miss out on time with his buddies, and 2 extra trips to the school with his 2 younger sibs is somewhat of a hassle (worth it to keep him safe, of course).

I talked to the people who run the lunch program, and they are not peanut/tree nut free, but could have a seperate table (not sure how I feel about that, especially if he's the only one).

Any stories or advice would be appreciated.

I did find out that a school across town has gone peanut/tree nut free. I don't know if I should pursue it more? It doesn't stop grocery store cupcakes etc, but at least it'll stop peanut butter/covered nuts. Still, I wouldn't want him taking food from anyone, anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:36 pm 

My DD is going into grade 1 in the fall, too, and I think the plan will be to have her eat lunch at the school. I'm also a SAHM, and we live 1.5 blocks from the school, so bringing her home for lunch would not be a big deal. The school is 'peanut/nut free' in that they post up signs and send home notices asking people not to bring them in, but may contains are allowed (this was my rule, as I didn't want people's choices to be too limited and become resentful over it). I imagine there will be people who forget and bring in PB, so I know it's not guaranteed or anything like that.

The school is good about getting all the staff trained, and I'm confident they would know what to do if a reaction were to occur. It's a small school, so all the staff would know who she is, and she has two epipens on her at all times, etc.

There are other reasons for bringing her home - it's a really long day at school, getting to connect/debrief with mom 1/2 way through the day, making sure she actually eats her food (lots of stories about kids just fooling around and bringin an uneaten lunch home every day), etc.

One non allergic family brings their child home 1 day a week for the connection time with dad, but the child wants to stay at school to socialize with friends. I'll probably see how it goes, and in part let DD decide if she wants to stay at school for lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:52 pm 

Has JK and SK been part days or full days?

Here SK has been fulltime 5 days a weeks for about 5 years now. This year JK is going to be fulltime 5 days a week.

My suggestion (what I would do) Is start the year with bringing her home. She how she reacts to coming home then going back to school. If she wants to stay at school for lunch maybe pick one day out of the week for a "test run", then maybe 2 days. This will help both her comfort and yours.

I'm surprised that her school isn't nut-free/safe as it's becoming quite the norm these days. If she ends up being the only one at a separate table that will be no fun for her and she may not want to stay.

I would also go and check out the other school that is nut-safe. Just to keep your options open.

Good luck with your decision :huggy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:53 pm 

I brought my son home every day for lunch for Grades 1 & 2, but for Grade 3 he asked to eat at school. I felt confident that he could handle himself by this point in time, and his classmates were also much better educated on how to act around him (for example, anyone who spilled yogurt would immediately alert my son to stay away from the area).

Mind you, if it we were dealing with just his nut allergy, I probably would not have been so intent on bringing him home, as everyone is so nut aware. But he is anaphylactic to dairy as well, and the amount of cheese and swinging yogurt tubes, tipped over milk cartons etc was too much for me to envision him dealing with for the first few years.

He's almost 10, and has never had an accidental exposure to nuts, ever. But the dairy issue - we're going on 2 years without a reaction, which is the longest ever (knock wood!!).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:45 am 

I'd stay at the school in your neighbourhood. There are so many strong friendships that can be lost when children go to schools in other areas.

I'd have him come home for grade 1, or until you work with the school to adopt a peanut/nut safe/free/restricted environment!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 pm 

We have a nut free table for my daughter to sit at, and any friends with a nut free lunch may join her. (the teacher/aid in the room must check their lunch.) I have also taught her not to eat any food that touches the table (just in case) and to eat over her lunchbox. She really enjoys eating with her friends, and her friends know the rules about when they can sit with her.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:47 pm 

I have been working part time now for 6 years. My sons, who both have allergies, come home 2 or 3 times a week. The oldest is in grade 5 and he still asks to come home. I find that when they are home they eat healthier, they actually eat, and they get a little break. When I asked my 11 year old if he felt he was missing out by coming home for lunches he said "no". Don't forget that they have 2 other recesses to play with their friends. I babysit 2 small boys on my days off, so i understand how it feels to have to load everyone in the car a few times - but that is why i chose to stay home.

The boys do eat at lunch on the days that I work (2 or 3 times a week), so I think they have the best of both worlds.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 am 

Have you been able to meet yet with the principal and receiving teacher to assess that they have protocol in place for your child's allergies at lunch time. When does staff training take place? Who does the training? Are they willing to let you speak about your child? What plan do they have in place should a child bring the allergen in their lunch? Hopefully the child bringing the allergen eats outside the classroom and washes before entering.

When my daughter was in grade one she had a wonderful teacher who was more than willing to create a safe, positive classroom environment. I came daily for the first month or so to help children establish hand washing routines. A sticker was put on the desk of the allergic students so that the janitor would use a paper towel to wash those desks rather than the same cloth. Students who brought peanutbutter sandwiches were asked to eat them outside the classroom and wash before coming in. This takes some supervision and consistency.

If your child goes home for lunch will the classroom still keep the allergen out of the classroom. I was horrified to hear a lunch supervisor tell students that they could eat their peanutbutter sandwiches in the classroom on a day when the allergic student was away. I am a Teacher On Call. I intervened and explained that it was not okay to bring the allergen into the classroom because the returning student could be exposed to it.

The lunch supervisors need to have clear, consistent and appropriate training. Everyone would rather prevent a reaction than deal with an emergency. I

My daughter stayed for lunches. She had clear rules to keep her safe too. Hands are washed before food is touched. Food is packaged in a wrapper so it can be easily picked up. Never eat anything that did not come from home. Never share food.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:11 am 

Thanks for the replies, I have decidede to have DS come home for lunch, I just don't feel comfortable with him staying, and he does get tired kind of easily, I think it'll be good for him to have a little downtime mid day. I went with DS to a lunch activity (cancer fundraiser) last week, and so many kids had snacks. Boxes of Timbits and bags of random food. It made me cringe.

My plan had been to keep him home for lunch til age 10, then we'll see. I think I'll stick with this.