You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Earthquake
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:26 am 

Coming from Vancouver I went through earthquake training as a kid every year at school, then we move to Ottawa and feel one. :lol: I've felt them before at home (Van. LMLD) but this was the longest and strongest. Where we are in Ottawa it was VERY strong and the first thing I did was run upstairs and grab our DS out of bed in case the window over his bed shattered. It felt and sounded like a train was going right under our house. Every window and wall was shaking and rattling but the floor almost swayed as if walking on a boat. The rumbling I could feel on the floor lasted a good 20+ seconds after the main shake.
What an exciting second to last day at school for the kids. Our daughter was in a portable and it rumbled pretty good.
One of the first things that I thought of after I realized it was over and wasn't going to be too bad was that darn, I am prepared for so many emergencies as is, now I have to add earthquake to my list. :freak .....and Tornado now that I read the news from Midland this morning.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Earthquake
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:47 am 

It was pretty darned strong here too, the house felt like it was doing the hula for a good 30 seconds or so. I felt it realy strongly because I was lying in bed with the baby at the time and juts dozing off when it happened. It woke up the baby, my older one, myselff of course and my husband, which is surprising because he can sleep through almost anything, or maybe it was my reaction to it that woke him up. Our house is still standing and my plaster job on the ceiling held up as well, but it was pretty exciting.

Today we're very bored.. Fete national has everything closed and the weather is to iffy to go to the park this morning since it's supposed to rain. So i'm all cooped up *sigh*. I was going to go shopping for some sandals today!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it was strong but nothing happened here damagewise. It sure scared the cat!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:50 pm 

There I was sitting in my backyard, and I thought someone had snuck in the back gate and was shaking my chair. I looked back - nobody there. I stood up and walked around - and amazingly it didn't make anyone materialize. :rofl So I sat back down and it started again. :scratchy I thought it must just be that our brand new chairs were no good.

I'm not sure whether I just couldn't feel it while I was standing, or if there were two shocks here -- nobody else I've talked to felt two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 pm 

I was at the office (8th floor) and thought someone was shaking my chair too.. I looked behind me and no one was there.. then I figured it out that the shaking was an earthquake and our offices kept shaking for about 25/30 sec