You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:39 am 

Hi gang -

My youngest son is visiting my brother in Vancouver in late July. DS (9 years) is allergic to dairy, eggs and peanuts.

I'm looking for the following products, hopefully in stores in or near Kitsilano Beach:

1. Safe margarine - in particular Fleishmann's Lactose-free in small containers. I know that Earth Balance is safe and likely available but he doesn't like it...

2. Safe sliced white bread - in particular Dempster's Enriched White bread in the silver foil pacakaging:
http://www.mapleleaf.com/en/market/bake ... tays-fresh

3. Safe hotdog and hamburg buns:

Has anyone found these Villagio Sausage Buns? They appear to be safe:
http://www.mapleleaf.com/en/market/bake ... age-buns-6

Has anyone found any other kind of regular safe hotdog or hamburg bun?

4. Hotdogs: are Maple Leaf Hygrade hotdogs available in BC? Here in QC they are free of dairy and eggs.

5. Vegenaise egg-free mayo
http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=3

Thanks!

Karen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:21 pm 

Hi there,

I used to live in Kits, but alas, it was before we had kids with allergies, so not entirely sure about the products. However, there is a Safeway at 2315 W 4th Ave (which is about 4 blocks north of Kits Beach) that would probably have the Dempsters and the Fleishmann's. I would maybe phone them and ask about particular products. I have bought Dempsters and Fleishmann's products at the Safeway near us, but stores may vary, and not sure about those particular items (we don't eat white bread, etc). I also buy Villagio buns at our Safeway, along with Save On Foods - the closest one of those is probably Cambie and 7th Ave. There is also a Whole Foods at 2285 West 4th - less than 1/2 block east of the Safeway. Whole Foods will probably have the Vegenaise. Not sure about the maple leaf hot dogs, but try Safeway.

There is also the Apple Farm Market on 4th Ave about a block east I think of the Whole Foods and across the street that might have some stuff, but also great produce at reasonable prices.

Oh, there's a pizza place called http://www.rockymountainflatbread.ca/ that is very allergy aware, according to members of our group. I haven't been there, but have heard great things!

Any other questions, let me know and I'll try to help!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

There's a Planet Organic in Port Coquitlam http://www.planetorganic.ca/ourstores/portcoquitlam
I don't know if that's far from Vancouver but they have tons of products!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 pm 

Thanks Alison's Mom - that's very helpful.

Susan - I think Port Coquitlam is a bit further than my brother wants to drive - but thanks!

I've also found a few Great Canadian Superstores (which have PC products) that I may check out when I'm there at the start. Or send my brother to if he has time (it's crunch time at his work right now).

My son's allergies are relatively easy to deal with here in our hometown now that we know all the stores where to find safe food, but I find it SO stressful just to think about finding safe foods elsewhere. I know it's do-able, but it takes time and that's the one thing I won't have, since I'm really only there for one day total. Sigh.

K.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 pm 

No problem, Karen. We were going through the same thing when we went to Toronto earlier this year.

Superstore is great, and we shop there all the time, but there isn't really one close to Kits. There's one in the south part of the city, near Marine Dr and Main St, then North Van (which is another city) on Mount Seymour Parkway, but neither are close. I find the one in NVan has a better organic/alternative product selection. Choices Markets is another good one, with conventional as well as organic/alternative foods. There are stores in Yaletown, Kerrisdale and Cambie/18th, which would all be a bit of a drive, but not that far.

Also, Panago Pizza is very allergy aware, with no peanuts/tree nuts on site and two crusts that have no egg or dairy. We order a cheese-less pizza for the kids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:20 pm 

Thanks again AM! I will ask my bro about Panago Pizza. Would be interesting to take a dairy-allergic kid to a pizza place and find him something safe to eat!!

I did google-map the Superstores and they didn't seem that far away, but I'll see what my brother can find before I get there. I really only need one bread, one set of buns, and one margarine - but I know that sometimes that can be tricky. Anyway, worst case I will bring food with me in my suitcase, since I'm only there for a short time but can pack as if I'm there for 2 weeks. LOL.

K.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:36 am 

Yes, you're right, the Superstores aren't that far, but not right in Kits or anything like that. I should mention that DD can eat dairy, and DS is only mildly allergic, like he can tolerate some forms, so I'm not worried if his food is cross contaminated with dairy. I just noticed your son is anaphylactic to dairy, so a pizza place, despite how careful, may not be a good idea. Maybe call and ask all the questions before you mention it to him. . . .

What we've done with bread when travelling is to bring two loaves, and put them in the freezer right when we get there. That way, they'll stay fresh for the whole trip, though will require toasting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:29 am 

Thanks for the additional info. I was wondering about the pizza place. Even traces for us are out, so we'll likely find somewhere else.

Take care,

K.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 am 

You should be able to find all those products, if not at the Safeway, then the MarketPlace IGA on Broadway and Maple or the Save-On Foods on Cambie.

My daughter is allergic to egg/dairy/peanut (and lots of other things) and we buy our bread from Cobs Bread. I think there is one in Kits (on 4th).

Hope your son has a fun trip!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm 

not from bc.. but for buns i've been using smart hot dog buns since my daugther started eating hot dogs. I know their bread isn't safe, but their buns have no warning (I haven't called - you may want to) but my daughter has never had a reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Karen, great to hear young Xav is going on such an adventure.

When I'm in Van, I often go to Choices for foods because that chain is a bit like Whole Foods, carries a lot of the allergy-friendly brands.
See there's one in Kits - you might want to call: http://www.choicesmarket.com/kitsilano.htm

Should at least have the Veganaise, maybe Fleischmann's.

Course the downside, a friend of mine refers to Whole Foods as "whole paycheck".
These places are always a bit pricier.