* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Motion M-546
We are very hopeful and excited!

Let’s join together, and ask the federal government to develop a strategic plan to decrease the risks for Canadians living with anaphylaxis, and to educate the public. Write and visit your MP this summer. Spread this message to your friends, families and support group members. Ask them to write and visit their MP. If we make a concerted effort to voice our concerns and needs, positive change that benefits individuals and families living with severe, life threatening allergies will result!

Media Release

NIAGARA FAMILIES AND MP DEAN ALLISON RAISE AWARENESS FOR ANAPHYLAXIS
Call for a comprehensive approach to assist those with severe allergies

June 7, 2010 – Niagara West - Glanbrook Member of Parliament Dean Allison gave notice for a motion in the House of Commons today: That in the opinion of the House, anaphylaxis is a serious concern for an increasing number of Canadians and the government should take the appropriate measures necessary to ensure these Canadians are able to maintain a high quality of life.

Anaphylaxis is a medical condition describing people with severe, life threatening allergies. Reactions are rapid in onset and may cause death without immediate treatment. Food is the most common cause of anaphylaxis, but insect stings, medicine, latex or exercise can cause reactions. In Canada, the most common food allergens are milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, shellfish, fish, sesame and wheat. Anaphylaxis has no cure, though important research and efforts to find a cure are underway. Avoidance is the required preventative measure.

The MP’s motion is welcomed by hundreds of family members of the local group Niagara Anaphylaxis Support and Knowledge (NASK). They seek to motivate support across Canada for the Niagara MP’s efforts to raise greater awareness on Parliament Hill and prompt responsible action with Government officials. NASK President Cindy Paskey explains, “As more and more Canadian families face the challenges of raising a child with one or multiple severe allergies, a coordinated, thoughtful set of government initiatives will help to raise public understanding of anaphylaxis, and provide greater safety of its children and citizens. We ask government to take steps to help to reduce the risk of unnecessary and preventable anaphylactic attacks. Everyone benefits. Medical emergencies are avoided. Lives are saved.”

Ms. Paskey adds, “Of necessity, there is a great deal of personal responsibility when living with anaphylaxis. Avoiding your allergens is the only way to stay alive. With the support of MPs and government officials, we can raise greater public understanding, promote responsible safety measures, educate people on the signs of a reaction and how to help a person in need - similar to CPR education. This coordinated government approach will lead to reducing risk and to safer environments for those living with life-threatening allergies and to those providing care and services. Canadians and our governments have successfully tackled a wide range of health concerns that has made Canada a safer, healthier, happier place to live. Anaphylaxis deserves the same attention.”

The NASK group is very optimistic about the prospects of their awareness drive given recent attention in Ottawa on anaphylaxis. Just weeks ago, the House of Commons passed a unanimous motion to recognize May as Food Allergy Awareness Month. The Canadian Transportation Agency is about to make a ruling regarding airlines’ safety protocols respecting allergies. Also, Health Canada is reviewing new food labeling regulations that highlight the importance of listing ingredients and allergy information.

Mindi Ferkul, NASK member says, “We are very thankful to Dean Allison and his commitment to this awareness drive. We will reach out to MPs and have other Canadians concerned about the government’s response to this issue reaching out to their local MPs. Through this effort with Parliamentarians, we trust we will see action from the government, from the Health Minister and Transport Minister. The Government should demonstrate positive leadership on this issue.”

For more information, visit http://nask.ca/events.html and contact:

Cindy Paskey, NASK President -- 905 934-0681 / nask.niagara@gmail.com
Mindi Ferkul, NASK -- 905 938-9100 / mindif@cogeco.ca
Debbie Bruce, NASK -- 905 828 1954 / debbiebruce-allergies@rogers.com
Don Tulloch, Legislative Assistant, M.P. Dean Allison -- 613 995-2772 / allisd0@parl.gc.ca

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

It's great that they supplied a letter that people can personalize if they like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

I recieved this message from Cindy Paskey:
Quote:
How does Motion 546 Help Canadian Families?

MP Dean Allison introduced a Private Members’ Notice of Motion, No. 546 on June 7, 2010:

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublication ... 89&File=11

That in the opinion of the House, anaphylaxis is a serious concern for an increasing number of Canadians and the government should take the appropriate measures necessary to ensure these Canadians are able to maintain a high quality of life.

In Canada, right now, we have the opportunity to engage our federal government in educating the general public about the realities of anaphylaxis, an invisible medical condition. Our government can help us secure better and more consistent risk reduction measures and emergency response training that will benefit all families living with severe, life threatening allergies.

There is only one way this will happen.

Canadian MP’s must hear from their constituents.

We’ve heard back from many people who have written their MP in support of the NASK initiative http://nask.ca/events.html

Having done this before, advocating for Sabrina’s Law, I know it’s important to never let up. We must continue working hard and engaging more people.

Canada is a big place. Please do whatever you can to help support our initiative: urge your friends and families across Canada to write to their MP. Have your children make drawings and write stories, that they send to MP’s.

While vacationing this summer, enlist the help of family and friends in other parts of Canada.

Use your social networks, like Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. Imagine the buzz and activity across Canada that we could create.

We have a list of Canadian allergy-related blogs. I am looking for volunteers who would write about our Campaign on behalf of NASK, and keep our planning group informed of activities. Please contact me if you are interested nask.niagara@gmail.com .

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

We have the opportunity and the power. [b]Now[b/] is the time to use it to our full advantage.

Cindy Paskey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

In June 2010, a motion was introduced in the House of Commons by Member of Parliament for Niagara West, Dean Allison, calling for the federal government to consider a coordinated, comprehensive response to anaphylaxis management.

The motion read: That in the opinion of the House, anaphylaxis is a serious concern for an increasing number of Canadians and the government should take the appropriate measures necessary to ensure these Canadians are able to maintain a high quality of life.

To help gain greater support for this motion from MPs across Canada, the Niagara Anaphylaxis Support & Knowledge (NASK) group, joined by Mississauga Anaphylaxis Group (MAG), invites you to get involved.

To learn more please visit www.nask.ca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Got this e-mail today! :happydance
Quote:
OUR AWARENESS DRIVE IS GATHERING MOMENTUM

SPECIAL MEETING OF MPs CALLED TO DISCUSS ANAPHYLAXIS

Individuals from across Canada have been connecting with their MPs - and this work is paying off.

Your stories have provided MPs and Ministers with direct insight into the realities and challenges of living with anaphylaxis - whether it's related to food labelling, flying, or the work you undertake to educate your community.

Our combined efforts have resulted in MPs calling a meeting to discuss what the federal government may do to better respond to the growing number of Canadians with anaphylaxis.

In the weeks ahead, we suggest you contact your MP and urge her/him to attend the meeting hosted by MP Dean Allison on December 7.

READ THE LATEST ON OUR PROGRESS IN OTTAWA

"Members of Parliament will be meeting in Ottawa in the coming weeks to discuss how the federal government can better respond ... Rick Dykstra, MP

"Dean Allison, Niagara West - Glanbrook MP, will be hosting a nonpartisan meeting of like-minded MPs from across Canada ... Dean Allison, MP

"Niagara MPs Allison, Allen and Dykstra commit to non-partisan MP meeting to raise awareness ... Malcolm Allen, MP

"The Motion is like an umbrella and underneath are our 5-point policy ‘asks.’ These include ... NASK Update

"Niagara MPs host and Niagara families present at Parliament Hill information session ... Anaphylaxis Issues to be the focus of MPs meeting

For more information, visit www.nask.ca or contact:
Cindy Paskey, NASK President 905 934-0681 / nask.niagara@gmail.com
Chris George, NASK member 905 641-0800 / chrisg.george@gmail.com
Debbie Bruce, NASK & MAG member 905 828-1954 / debbiebruce-allergies@rogers.com
Mindi Ferkul, NASK member 905 938-9100 / mindif@cogeco.ca

YOUR VOICE IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE. THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 am 

Thanks - I also received a note today in email about the meeting to discuss Anaphylaxis - I've attached it below:

OUR AWARENESS DRIVE IS GATHERING MOMENTUM

SPECIAL MEETING OF MPs CALLED TO DISCUSS ANAPHYLAXIS

Individuals from across Canada have been connecting with their MPs - and this work is paying off.

Your stories have provided MPs and Ministers with direct insight into the realities and challenges of living with anaphylaxis - whether it's related to food labelling, flying, or the work you undertake to educate your community.

Our combined efforts have resulted in MPs calling a meeting to discuss what the federal government may do to better respond to the growing number of Canadians with anaphylaxis.

In the weeks ahead, we suggest you contact your MP and urge her/him to attend the meeting hosted by MP Dean Allison on December 7.

READ THE LATEST ON OUR PROGRESS IN OTTAWA

"Members of Parliament will be meeting in Ottawa in the coming weeks to discuss how the federal government can better respond ... Rick Dykstra, MP

"Dean Allison, Niagara West - Glanbrook MP, will be hosting a nonpartisan meeting of like-minded MPs from across Canada ... Dean Allison, MP

"Niagara MPs Allison, Allen and Dykstra commit to non-partisan MP meeting to raise awareness ... Malcolm Allen, MP

"The Motion is like an umbrella and underneath are our 5-point policy ‘asks.’ These include ... NASK Update

"Niagara MPs host and Niagara families present at Parliament Hill information session ... Anaphylaxis Issues to be the focus of MPs meeting

For more information, visit http://www.nask.ca or contact:

Cindy Paskey, NASK President 905 934-0681 / nask.niagara@gmail.com
Chris George, NASK member 905 641-0800 / chrisg.george@gmail.com

Debbie Bruce, NASK & MAG member 905 828-1954 / debbiebruce-allergies@rogers.com

Mindi Ferkul, NASK member 905 938-9100 / mindif@cogeco.ca

YOUR VOICE IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE. THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT!

Son - 6 yrs old - no allergies or asthma (Son6)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Keep up the momentum! It's not too late to write your MP if you haven't done so yet.

Let them know that this issue is important to their constituents and urge her/him to attend the meeting hosted by MP Dean Allison on December 7.

If you go to NASK's webpage, you can download a sample letter and obtain the contact info of your MP. http://nask.ca/events.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:33 am 
Site Admin

More from NASK! :D
Quote:
We are VERY pleased to report MP Dean Allison's Motion 546, raising awareness for anaphylaxis in Ottawa and across Canada, will be debated in the House of Commons on March 21, 2011.

The Canadian Anaphylaxis Initiative (CAI), a coalition of local support groups and individual families across the country, has been working with MPs to advance a 5-point policy agenda. You can learn more about the CAI and its policy priorities at this website or the CAI Facebook page - Canadian Anaphylaxis Initiative.

More details will be provided as they become available.

You can help in two ways:

1) Please urge your MP to support this important safety initiative for people and families living with life threatening allergies.
2) Please pass this information along to those who you know will be interested.

For more information:

Policy Items for Motion 546 - Canadian Anaphylaxis Initiative

Cindy Paskey, NASK President --- (905) 934-0681 / nask.niagara@gmail.com
Chris George, NASK --- (905) 641-0800 / cgacomm@gmail.com
Debbie Bruce, NASK / Mississauga Anaphylaxis Group --- (905) 828-1954 / debbiebruce-allergies@rogers.com
Mindi Ferkul, NASK --- (905) 938-9100 / mindif@cogeco.ca

Don Tulloch, Legislative Assistant, MP Dean Allison --- (613) 995-2772 / allisd0@parl.gc.ca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Admin

You can watch the debate, Monday, March 21 at 11 a.m. on CPAC.

About the Canadian Anaphylaxis Initiative
CAI is an advocacy effort marshalled by a volunteer group of families from anaphylaxis support associations in communities across Canada. The CAI’s mission is to prompt the federal government to develop a strategic plan to decrease the risks for Canadians living with anaphylaxis (severe, life-threatening allergies) and to educate the public.

About the Debate
MP Dean Allison and other speakers for the hour debate are identified and all are favourable to the motion. It is intended with the House exchange that useful facts and information can be put on record. Monday's Hansard transcript will be used to prompt further Parliamentary activities that support Canadian individuals and families living with anaphylaxis.

CAI 5 point policy request of the federal government.

More information: Canadian Anaphylaxis Initiative Facebook page, and NASK.

To discuss: Allergic Living Forum

Post-Debate, you can help in two ways:

1) Please urge your MP to support this important safety initiative.
2) Please pass this information along to those who you know will be interested.

Cindy Paskey, NASK President --- (905) 934-0681 / nask.niagara@gmail.com
Chris George, NASK --- (905) 641-0800 / cgacomm@gmail.com
Debbie Bruce, NASK / Mississauga Anaphylaxis Group --- (905) 828-1954 / debbiebruce-allergies@rogers.com
Mindi Ferkul, NASK --- (905) 938-9100 / mindif@cogeco.ca

Don Tulloch, Legislative Assistant, MP Dean Allison --- (613) 995-2772 / allisd0@parl.gc.ca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 am 

Very exciting :happydance !

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 pm 

I am SO excited after having watched the podcast for motion 546, my new favorite number. :bouncyblue I put ds in the tub so I could sit with the lap top and watch the entire debate uninterrupted. :lol:

Dean Allison's intro. was just exceptional, I loved the way he added a few names to make it really personal. I am so impressed with how well presented his speech was.
Megan Leslie and Ujjal Dussanjh, just loved them both today. It was so important how they both brought up the beer exception (good explanation from Leslie) and why the delay with so many of these issues as well as the complexity of reading labels.

I can't remember his name but I laughed when the one MP asked about the size of labels as he already needs a magnifying glass. I wanted to high five him right then and there.

I am so pathetic that after a few MP's spoke I found myself clapping away at my laptop, sitting on the bathroom counter. :happydance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm 

for a change I remembered to watch.

Odd how even when they all agree, it takes such a lot of hot air (and a few jibes against the other party ) to do so.

but, it sounds like they all agree.

personally, I love the idea of a package telling me whether or not they label for may contains. consistency will make my life SOOOOOO much easier.

thank you to everyone who worked so hard on this...and it shows a lot of thought and work went not it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:59 pm 

this was a "Motion". Is the next step a Bill? which requires three readings...or is this considered the first reading? I know at least one amendment was suggested....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 pm 

I'll donate a box of pens if helps to get the ball rolling to have the govt. SIGN this darn thing into law! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

AnnaMarie wrote:
this was a "Motion". Is the next step a Bill? which requires three readings...or is this considered the first reading? I know at least one amendment was suggested....

I didn't watch it but after the debate, the Speaker proposes the question. If there are no dissenting votes, the motion is carried...then?
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/procedure-book-l ... e=E&Mode=1

Honestly, it's amazing how much I don't know... :scratchy