You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 pm 

Swiss Chalet has a new lunch item: fish and chips. At our Swiss Chalet, it turns out the fish is being cooked in the same oil as the fries. The only place we eat out at is Swiss Chalet, and it's very rare. Well, this past Saturday evening, we wanted to take our son out for dinner while our daughter was at a sleepover. Our son had been asking to eat at Swiss Chalet. My husband and I feel terrible about the outcome of our evening which resulted in our son needing the Epipen and spending 4.5 hours in the ER. We have asked this particular Swiss Chalet location (near our house) if any other foods are fried in the same oil as the fries, and the answer has always been no. This particular evening, we didn't check, and what a big mistake. It turns out their new menu item, fish, IS being fried in the same oil. We did not discover this until the meal was over and our son started to get hives. He then felt weak, had a bad stomach ache, then complained that his throat hurt. That's when I gave him the Epipen. At the hospital, he had very bad diarrhea (sorry to be sharing all the gory details, but it's important to hear about all the symptoms.) Within 5 minutes after receiving the Epipen, all his symptoms had very significantly lessened. At the hospital he was hooked him up to the heart monitor, the blood pressure monitor and the oxygen monitor. He was a real trooper through it all; but of course, he wasn't very happy about it all. Right beside us, there was another family dealing with their youngest of 5 children having an allergic reaction to a "may contain" peanut food. It was pretty bizarre to have this happening at the same time. They also have a young son with multiple food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, seeds and egg (similar to our son), so the trip to the ER were not their first.

I just wanted to let everyone know about the new Swiss Chalet item if you are dealing with fish allergy. I do not fault Swiss Chalet; rather, I feel it is up to the parents, or the individual dealing with the allergy to ALWAYS let the restaurant know. I know all this, in theory, but did not practise this that evening. Boy, do I ever feel badly about that. I will post this under Dining Out as well.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses