You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:00 pm 

Swiss Chalet has a new lunch item: fish and chips. At our Swiss Chalet, it turns out the fish is being cooked in the same oil as the fries. The only place we eat out at is Swiss Chalet, and it's very rare. Well, this past Saturday evening, we wanted to take our son out for dinner while our daughter was at a sleepover. Our son had been asking to eat at Swiss Chalet. My husband and I feel terrible about the outcome of our evening which resulted in our son needing the Epipen and spending 4.5 hours in the ER. We have asked this particular Swiss Chalet location (near our house) if any other foods are fried in the same oil as the fries, and the answer has always been no. This particular evening, we didn't check, and what a big mistake. It turns out their new menu item, fish, IS being fried in the same oil. We did not discover this until the meal was over and our son started to get hives. He then felt weak, had a bad stomach ache, then complained that his throat hurt. That's when I gave him the Epipen. At the hospital, he had very bad diarrhea (sorry to be sharing all the gory details, but it's important to hear about all the symptoms.) Within 5 minutes after receiving the Epipen, all his symptoms had very significantly lessened. At the hospital he was hooked him up to the heart monitor, the blood pressure monitor and the oxygen monitor. He was a real trooper through it all; but of course, he wasn't very happy about it all. Right beside us, there was another family dealing with their youngest of 5 children having an allergic reaction to a "may contain" peanut food. It was pretty bizarre to have this happening at the same time. They also have a young son with multiple food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, seeds and egg (similar to our son), so the trip to the ER were not their first.

I just wanted to let everyone know about the new Swiss Chalet item if you are dealing with fish allergy. I do not fault Swiss Chalet; rather, I feel it is up to the parents, or the individual dealing with the allergy to ALWAYS let the restaurant know. I know all this, in theory, but did not practise this that evening. Boy, do I ever feel badly about that. I will post this under fish allergy as well.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:08 pm 

Julie, Oh my gosh what a night. I am so thankful that your son is ok although I'm sure it was quite an ordeal for him. Poor thing, I hope he's fully recovered. Scary for you and him I'm sure.

I totally get what you are saying, only 2 weeks ago I didn't follow my own rules for triple checking everything and I caused our son to have a series of allergic reactions due to gelatin in margarine. Luckily he never ate any just kept vomiting after putting his tongue on buttered toast. Like you in retrospect everything looks so clear as to where I went wrong and what I didn't notice etc... Hopefully your son will still want to eat out and that it is an unfortunate but another learning experience to grow from. But really, I know we could all live without learning experiences. :freak

HUGS and I hope you are able to all relax and unwind.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Oh Julie, so sorry to hear. Your poor little trooper, they're such nasty experiences to go through. Glad to hear he's feeling better.

How weird about the family at the next table. In better news, I bet that's one educated Swiss Chalet now. :frightened
Though I agree with BC2007 that we could all use fewer "learning experiences".

Don't beat yourself up about it. You won't assume again at a restaurant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 pm 

hmmm.. is the fish breaded? I wonder... since our daughter is wheat-allergic.. perhaps the fries are no longer safe for her if there is wheat in the oil if the fish is breaded? I'll have to check with Swiss Chalet

we eat there as the rotisserie chicken is safe for her plus she likes the mixed vegetables.. and she likes the fries too.. but wonder if they are safe anymore?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 am 

I just checked the Swiss Chalet allergy guide. It says the fish contains eggs, fish, soy, wheat.... so looks like the french fries are off limits to us since she has an egg and wheat allergy.

However, our daughters favourite side orders are the mixed vegetables and the corn which are still safe (plus the rotisserie chicken)

So if you have wheat, soy, fish or egg allergy, avoid the fries!

Here is the allergy chart:
http://www.swisschalet.com/allergy.php

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 pm 

Thanks for your replies. It may be that different Swiss Chalets will approach the deep fryer in different ways, so you might like to check with your local location to see where they are deep frying their fish.

By the way, when I mentioned the family next to us, I actually meant at the hospital, not at the restaurant. Sorry for the confusion.

Life has gone right back to normal for us. Our son went off to baseball practise the next morning, and we went for dinner at our friends that evening (as scheduled). For our son's sake, we try to get his life right back to normal as this seems to be what he needs most. Going out the next evening was the last thing I wanted to do because I was emotionally exhausted (I did not communicate this to our son.) He didn't want us to talk about it with our friends (at least not in his presence), and when he went back to school for his remaining 2 days, he did not want to talk about it with his teachers or classmates. He did admit to me; however, that his mind kept returning to that evening and that it wasn't a good evening. I agreed, but I told him that we all learned something from it, and that he is fine and we did all the right things. I very much want to encourage him to not be afraid of the Epipen, and the right thing to do if he is having an allergic reaction (anaphylactic) is to administer the Epipen, and go to the hospital for a few hours. We've told him that nothing is more important than taking care of your health, and if someone has a severe allergic reaction, they need the Epipen followed by a relatively short visit in the ER. And the very next day, life can be right back to normal. Every person is very different, but this approach seems to work for our son. We've now had to administer the Epipen 3 times - the last time was 3 years ago, and the time before that was 2 years prior. I hope we never have to use it again, but I am thankful the Epipen exists to offer relief within a few short minutes. It's really incredible to witness how fast acting the epinephrine is to an individual having a reaction.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:27 am 

Julie, great approach to the situation and to having had a reaction, hence moving forward. I learn a lot from the more seasoned allergy mom's on this forum. I'm glad your son felt ok enough and comfortable enough to get up the next morning and go to practice. Sounds like a great kid.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 pm 

wow--sorry to hear about your son's reaction. Who would have thought that they'd fry fish in the same oil as the fries. I'm glad that your son is okay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 pm 

I'm sitting holding Swiss Chalet's Nutrition & Allergy Guilde and it states
*All fried products may contain one or all allergens in this table as the fryer oil can be a source of cross-contamination of allergens

We were in SC today - fish is counted as one of the fried items and should not be consumed by the food allergic....

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies