You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: E-Belt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:59 am 

Does anybody know of any other device to carry the Epi-Pen besides the E-Belt? I bought one for my daughter (it holds 2) and it seems heavy and the clip part seems to dig into her back. Just looking for a light alternative. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:39 pm 

I use the anatote (I think that is still it's name). It's a pouche that olds 2 epis (there is also one that holds just one too). Anaphylaxis Canada now sells them: http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/livin ... alogue.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:55 pm 

My dd is 4 and is required to wear her epi pen during class at all times (jr kindergarten). She is so little, the belt is very uncomfortable for her. And, as some of you know, 4-yr-old girls only like to wear dresses (mine does, anyway) and with no hips to hold up a belt - its ridiculous, really.
I crocheted her a vest with a pocket the size if the epi pen in the front and she wears it every day. The pocket is vertical and somewhat left of centre with a snap closure on the top and she likes it (a great accomplishment since this is a girl who would wear her cinderella dress to school every day if it was her choice).
Once she's older and moving around the school more she'll have to wear the e-belt again (more recognizable as holding the epi pen) but now she's mostly in her class and only there for the morning. I also crocheted a pouch for her to wear on a belt (colors she picked, softer) with velcro closures.
johdee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:52 pm 

johdee, do you have her epi-pens in a strong container? The old container the epi-pen came in was pretty flimsy. The new ones are much better, but I'm not sure I'd trust them during playtime on the playscape.

Post subject: e belt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:13 pm 

You're right, the old containers were really flimsy. I had the bottom break out of two and the top was always popping off - this is before she ever played with it on and I was basically carrying it in for her all the time. The new container is quite sturdy and the top is secure yet easy to get off. I was very happy to see the change. I've never seen the Protect-a-Tube (I think that's what it is called?) and wonder if it is any stronger than the new tube the epi-pen comes in.
She generally only plays for a few minutes with teacher supervision and then takes her vest or belt off when I get there and I hold it while she plays.
johdee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:55 pm 

I'm not as familiar with the protectube. I know the e-belt is safe for up to 1000 lbs. of outside force. It's as hard as rock - which sounds uncomfortable, but my son doesn't complain about it at all - and I have specifically asked him.

Last year we were involved in a minor car accident. Our son was wearing his e-belt. That day alone it was worth the investment. If he had been wearing a fanny pack with the old package I've no doubt the epi-pen would have broken between him and the seat belt.

(Honest, I don't work for the company that makes them. I'm just a happy customer.)

Post subject: holders
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:03 am 

Why can't they make the epi-pen the size of a lipstick? I currently carry it for my son and use the ana-tote and find it bulky and awkward - cargo pants with closing pockets are the best I find and then I do not use the ana-tote. I read once of a lady who sews 'cool' holders out of her house and sells them.. If I can find that info I will post it. Her sons were not wearing their fanny packs as they found them 'uncool' so she sews and made them some different packs - a Rescue Hero type carrying pack or something

Post subject: Re: holders
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:22 am 

activemom wrote:
Why can't they make the epi-pen the size of a lipstick?

I don't know much about science - but it has something to do with needing a certain amount of space - and some medicine remains in the pen. To make is smaller means it would not be auto-injectible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:41 pm 

Quote:
I read once of a lady who sews 'cool' holders out of her house and sells them.. If I can find that info I will post it. Her sons were not wearing their fanny packs as they found them 'uncool' so she sews and made them some different packs - a Rescue Hero type carrying pack or something

That sounds like the E-belt. There was an article in allergic living magazine...fall2005.

Luckily, I have girls, and most girls like cool purses. It must be harder to find something for a boy, the e-belt does look cool for boys since it is black leather, and looks like it could hold a "light saber".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:16 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Quote:
, the e-belt does look cool for boys since it is black leather, and looks like it could hold a "light saber".

:lol: Please don't tell my son that. I can just imagine him pulling it out and whipping it around like a light saber. I spend enough time in the principal's office over this kid. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:10 pm 

My daughter is having a hard time wearing the anatote. She's really feeling 'different' from the other kids. She knows she has to wear it but I'm looking for something a little less conspicuous. She's not at an age where she's carrying a purse around yet. I was thinking if we could decorate or make a cover for the anatote somehow, that might make her more excited about it.

Has anybody found a different solution for carrying around an epipen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:58 am 

My boys are in a Catholic elementary school and wear uniforms. They use the ana-tote.

I find it somewhat funny how some of you want a discreet carry case whereas I have approached our school and asked for all the anaphylactic students (19) to all carry the same ana-totes. (I will be providing the cases at just a little above cost to cover shipping and any profit I will donate to AAIA)

I wanted something that would easily identify the epi-pen so that staff do not need to run around and search for the epi-pen. I also like the fact that there is a medical logo on front and is mostly black with some red so that it is noticeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:29 pm 

Sil, that's great of you to organize everybody having the same carrying case so its easily recognizable - good point :) I agree, that when several kids have something similar, its best to identify it as easily as possible - and there's great comfort for them that they aren't the only ones. It is harder for boys to carry the Epi-pen since they don't carry purses. My guys and girls always kept theirs in a fanny pack - but they were not required to keep it with them all day. In fact, they weren't allowed to! - had to keep puffers and epi-pen only in the health room - a lot of good that does if no one is in the office when hyou have an attack :roll: The school never knew it, but they always had an extra set of everything in their backpacks and their friends knew where it was. Glad to hear things are changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:35 pm 

laurensmom - meant to include this in the previous note. My kids and myself, all have fanny packs with our meds inside - they go everywhere with us and of course, most people who know us are aware that's what to look for if we need our meds. My older daughter works all summer at a kids camp and she is required to carry her fanny pack with her at all times. Having it strapped around her waist keeps her hands free although it does get a little hot so she often zips it around to her back. Lots of people carry fanny packs so it doesn't stick out as being unusual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:13 am 

A friend just emailed me about something that's similar to the EBelt -

http://www.medipouch.com/products.html

I realize the ones with flowers are still black... don't know if that's much of an improvement over the all-black ones. But the ones further down look more feminine. (My guys like their EBelts, luckily.)

I am thinking of asking the woman who makes EBelts if she would consider different colours. I imagine there are a lot of girls out there who would prefer an EBelt that wasn't black!

K.