You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:15 pm 

I just picked up 2 new epi pens for my son and with the new, larger design they won't fit into his Ebelt. Does anyone know of a hard shelled epi pen holder that would work with themes oval-shaped design? We don't want a soft holder. We LOVE the ebelt so I'm hoping that they design a new cases ASAP. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 pm 

Oops I noticed a typo. I need a new hard shelled epi pen holder (that goes around the waist) that will fit with the new oval design

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:57 pm 

Hi there, on the Allergies in the News thread Susan has been keeping us up to date as far as the new epi belts.

Go down about 20 or so topics and you'll see where the thread is posted. The thread is titled:
Newly Designed Epipen Coming To Canada Spring 2010

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks BC2007! :D
Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/2bvxv2f

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:32 am 

Thanks BC2007. :) Luckily I was able to use 2 older models of epipens which are still good until February 2011 so I'm no longer in dire need of a new epi-belt model. But I will still look around. I found a woman in London, ON who was the first person to come out with an ebelt for the new design. Her site is : www.blog/onespotallergy.com. They're only $75 compared to other sites and I like that it's still a hard case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 pm 

I've been having some e-mail discussions with the woman from onespot. I didn't realize she was in Canada. lol Her belts ARE made by the same company -- they are the *real* e-belts.

I also just posted a thread with a link to a video (which she was nice enough to make and to send me the link).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 am 

The woman from OneSpot Allergy emailed me too with info. The thing that I don't like (and it's not a negative against her product but the new design of the epi-pen) is that they're so HUGE. A double e-belt (which is what my 10 year old wears) seems really wide and long. Doesn't seem like it's going to be as comfortable and I fear that he'll start to be really self-conscious about it as he gets older. Epi-pen should have thought about downsizing, not making it bigger. :( I'm waiting to see if MedicAlert will have some sort of deal when buying a new ebelt. Maybe get together with One Spot and see what they can do. We just bought a new e-belt within the last year and now have to buy another one. We'll do it, it's just unfortunate that I didn't realize the change in design was going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:54 am 

I agree the double looks huge. Is there a reason your son wears the double?

At school, they want one kept at the office, so my son only has to wear one. I like doing it this way because about once a year he forgets to put on his e-belt in the morning - and on those days there is an epi-pen at school for him. At home, I always carry my epi-pens, so we have extras here as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:33 pm 

My DS has always (since Grade 1) worn two epi-pens. We feel it's safer and don't feel comforable with him wearing just one. We also keep an extra epi-pen in the office as well as one at home in the kitchen.

He wears two also because if he isn't at home or at school (ie at friends' houses, my parents' house, at a movie etc etc) he still needs 2 epi's on him at all times in case of misfiring or if he needs a second dose if the ambulance is later than expected. He very rarely forgets his e-belt (maybe 3 times/year) but he keeps it in the same spot at night in his room so I notice if he's forgotten it. :)

I also found that if I carried the epi-pens in my purse I tended to forget them. DS1 is the only person in our immediate family who is anaphylactic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 am 

If you know anyone that sew they can whip one up for you. Also you can check out Etsy and see if anyone are making nicer ones. MIL makes Adair's for him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 am 

I have ordered the "WaistPal" from www.concealedepipen.com (see photo page 12 of the recent fall 2010 Allergic Living). We have not received it yet... it should be here next week. I will post with my opinion. Since our son was 3.5, he has worn the E-belt, and we have been very happy with it. The reason we've decided to try something different is because of the new, larger Epipen. We felt the E-belt needed to be so much more bulky to accomodate the new Epipen, so we're exploring something different. The WaistPal holds an Epipen in the front and the back, but it is a softer belt (not the hard exterior of the E-belt) that makes it optional if you want to wear the second Epipen. There are times when one is sufficient for our son, but there are times we want him to wear two, so this will accomodate that need. My concern is the exterior is not hard like the E-belt, and that was certainly something we liked for our active son. I will let you know what we think when we receive it.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 pm 

We are REALLY pleased with the new Epipen belt from Omaxcare (www.concealedepipen.com). It is very soft and very comfortable to wear. There are MANY sections of velcro to adjust to exactly your comfort (high on the waist, or low around belt height). It comes with 2 different lengths so it will work from a small child to an adult, so I am pleased we will be able to use this for a very long time. It holds either the original Epipen, or the new larger Epipen in its original case. It took 13 days to arrive from the time of order as it was coming from Miami Florida.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:30 pm 

Hi Julie,
I ordered a WaistPal for my son on March 1..but still have not received it. I was wondering if you had any contact information (phone number)...the only contact they give on their website is just a fill in form..no phone number. Thanks so much!

Jen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:19 pm 

Thanks for posting Julie. It is always good to hear 'real' feedback about a product and not just the feedback companies post for themselves. That sounds like a great option as I can't stand constantly adjusting the strap, coat,sweater, no sweater, t-shirt.....

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 pm 

Hi Jenn072, We have continued to be very happy with the WaistPal ordered through Omaxcare. Omaxcare is located in Miami Florida, so I searched and found:

http://local.yahoo.com/info-38349713-om ... iami-beach
(305) 205-3646.

I cannot guarantee this is the correct number, but this is the number the search produced.
I've checked the packing slip information (I kept it in with all of our various Epipen holders), and their phone number is not listed there. The full address on the packing slip is: Omaxcare P.O. Box 331270 Miami, FL 33233 U.S.

I really hope you receive it soon! I have been very happy with this particular Epipen holder... it offers lots of flexibility, you can carry one or two Epipens with very little bulk, and it is nice and SOFT! We still hang it from the doorknob going to outside, so we all can see if our son has put his Epi on before he heads out. Let us know if you receive it soon. I would be curious about their delivery time. Mine was only 12 days... what does it currently say for expected delivery time?