You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:43 pm 

Hi,
My story is very strange. I'm 46 and never had an allergy that I was aware of in my life. Now, in the last month I've two allergic reactions after eating at a Wendy's restaurant. But no reaction another time I ate at a Wendy's. The last reaction sent me to the ER and I had replapses for about three days. Very weird. When the doctor said it could take 3-4 days to clear my system and put me on Claritin, Prednisone and Pepsid for 5 days I didn't think my symptoms would literally keep re-occuring that long afterwards, but they did for about 3 days. Is that typical of a food allergy?
The first time I stopped the reaction by taking one 24-hour Claritin pill. The second time I took 2 Benadryl and saw no relief so went to ER. My symptoms were a burning red face, moving from my chin and upwards to my cheeks and forehead, swollen lips and throat and that itchy/tingling feeling in my face like you get after the novacaine starts wearing off from a dental visit. These reactions would last a couple hours or more.
My dilemma is I have no clue what it was that caused this. The first time I had a reaction I had ordered from the drive thru and had fries and the new bacon & blue cheeseburger. So I assumed it was the blue cheese and since I didn't like it anyway just figured I'd avoid that from now on. The second time I dined inside another Wendy's and I had the Asian boneless wings and a garden salad with ranch dressing. Had a soda both times, too. So I'm wondering if instead of it being the blue cheese it was the fries, since those and the chicken wings might be fried in same oil??? But I have eaten at Wendy's a few times in the past with no problems at all. Only once or twice a year though when I'm on a road trip as we don't have one locally. And a third time I ate at Wendy's in this same time period I ordered the southwest taco salad with no reaction at all.
So sorry for the long posting, but anyone with allergy experiences have any input on how I can go about figuring out what caused all this mess? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome.

Whew, tough one as the foods you've eaten are "complicated".

e.g. The times you reacted at Wendy - did it always involve a burger? There were are lot of possible allergens in the meat and the seasoning: e.g. specific spices, soy; it could contain a sauce with (e.g.) soy, wheat or shellfish). Some people are allergic to gelatin in meat.

If the fries were the consistent factor, what else is cooked in the oil - e.g. shrimp is commonly cooked deep fryers. Any issues with shellfish lately?

Your symptoms do sound consistent with allergies. I'd get a referral to an allergist pronto for assessment. You want to avoid a big reaction.
A "reaction history" will really help your allergist - so again, think about ingredients that might be a recurring issue. (e.g. previous stomach upset after a spice; shellfish as mentioned....)

Yes, you can grow into food allergies, and it's really difficult if you don't nail down exactly what you're allergic to.
Yes, some allergic reactions have secondary phases that can go on for a couple of days.

Hang in there. We know it's upsetting and confusing. Hope we can help you out here.
FYI, doubtful the soda is to blame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:08 pm 

Thanks for your input!

No allergies to anything else ever that I can think of. I eat shrimp, grilled, fried, etc. with no trouble, have no problems with nuts lately. First thing ER doctor wondered was if they used peanut oil, but I snack on peanuts and peanut butter frequently.

I'm wondering if it is some obscure spice, too, that would be in the asian sauce and/or on the burgers. Both times I had a reaction it was from eating something new--the bacon and blue cheeseburger the first time and then the asian chicken the second time. But can't imagine what might overlap in those two items. These were at totally different restaurant locations, too. Someone suggested to me it might be their cleaning products, but one time I ordered from drive thru and one time was dine in.

Thanks again for your input. I will be off to see an allergist as I'm nervous about this happening again with me not knowing what's causing it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm 

From my experience a reaction can last days. I would contact wendys to get a "detailed list" of the ingredients of all the menu items you ate also don't forget about each sauce, you must break down those ingredients as well . Could you also contact the locations you ate at and ask ?if say you had fries what other food items are cooked in their fryer (as Gwen mentioned). Just thinking of the menu you mentioned could sesame seeds be an issue, not sure about the bun (seeds?).
Also I you probably should be carrying an epi pen. Especially since you are not sure what you need to avoid.
Wishing you a speedy investigation :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 pm 

Your reaction sounds very similar to what happens to me if I eat something with corn as an ingredient...especially if it's one of the 180 corn derivatives. MSG poisoning will cause those kinds of reactions...and yes, MSG is often made from corn. It could be that one or more than one of the items you ate at the Wendy's had a particularly high amount of MSG. Do some research...msg is a frightening food additive!

My face turns that lovely fire-engine red colour and will swell (usually one side or the other) to twice it's size and be hard as a rock! It will take weeks/months for this hard swelling and redness to subside. NOT fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

But I've also had such secondary reactions with priority allergens - e.g. in my case, soy and another time shellfish.

I say try to figure out which meals, which ingreds they have, then review with the allergist. Big thing is to try to figure out the cause.