You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The "Allergy March"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:48 pm 

Does anyone have any advice?? I'm feeling a little low these days as our sons food allergy list continues to increase. Yesterday, we added fresh peaches to the list, and possibly cold-induced hives. Most of the time, I really feel I look at the bright side of life... and if things are not going well, I look for the best way to handle the situation, face it head on, and make the best of things. Continuing to add foods to our sons list is very concerning, and I'm worried where this might be heading. Way back, in the early days, we had heard of the "allergy march", where the number of allergies can increase, and asthma symptoms can become a new concern (our son does not have asthma, but I'm concerned with the pattern we are seeing).

In the beginning, at 13 months of age, our son visited the allergist for the first time and was found to be allergic to peanuts, peas, eggs, salmon, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. In the next few years, he tested positive to tree nut (mix), other fish, poppy seeds, mustard, pineapple and watermelon. In the past year, he was found to have birch pollen allergy, (and dogs and horses) and last year he began reacting (facial hives) to fresh apples, pears, cherries. Now we need to add fresh peaches. Not only that, but on the same date, he and his sister were playing in our backyard kiddie pool when the weather hit over 40C with the humidex, and he came out of the pool covered in hives. Even though I had put in several buckets of hot water in the pool, my son LOVES to play with the hose, and the water in the kiddie pool was very cold. So, now it looks like he is reacting to the cold (he would already get hives from the extreme heat). It's very concerning to me that we continue to add more to his list, and I'm worried about where this is all heading. The next time we visit the allergist, I want to start checking his breathing so we have some sort of baseline, or indication if asthma may be a concern. I definitely don't want to "borrow trouble", but I do want to be prepared for this if it might be in his future.

Does anyone have any advice?? :(

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject: Re: The "Allergy March"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:45 am 

Oh Julie, If I could hug you right now I would. :huggy
What has made me not feel alone in all this has been that so many others have been honest also with how they can feel at times. I don't think we'd be human if we didn't have moments of well, despair, and a word many of us have posted over time, overwhelmed. I really do see (read) that each parent on this site really does try to stay positive and to be encouraging and supportive in every way possible for our children. To have lapses where (it seems we all in turn) question the direction of our child's health is perfectly understandable and acceptable.
You are dealing with a lot, the regular allergy routine for the diagnosed and known allergies and now you are dealing with an entirely different issue on top of that with his new reactions. I really hope that as his body is growing it maybe is going through a stage. Not sure if that is possible but I, for your sake and his hope so.
There was a time I thought I was going to snap, It came down to I wouldn't introduce anything new but the four things he could eat as he reacted to everything and If one more thing added to the list I was going to completely break. Our son was reacting to meat, peppers, nightshade spices, soaps, lotions, raw fruit, eggplant, tomato, strawberry, banana, watermelon, the bath water if it was too warm, the list never seemed to end. Like you mentioned it makes you not want to try any new foods as it just seems like a Pandora's box is opening and there is no way to close it. Slowly his reactions slowed (the non-anaphylactic ones) and we stabalized. Your son sounds similar in being so hyper sensitive, our allergist told me for children so in the extreme it is not uncommon for them to react to any new item introduced on or on their body. That is why I wonder if this is just another swing up in the cycle...before it all all levels out again?? Fingers crossed!
Allergy moms are the most amazing group out there, what we deal with is 24/7 each and every day. As far as borrowing trouble, trouble seems to find us. :lol: If your son is going to dev. asthma it will happen. If he does get asthma there are puffers and great asthma educators and you are a strong amazing mom, I know you will take it in stride and coping with it will just become second nature. If he does end up needing puffers just think of it as one more thing you check is with you when you leave the house.
The most important thing is you are not alone.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:07 pm 

FI use to be allergic to everything. Anything new would cause a reaction. His mom told me at one point all he could eat was quinoa and boiled chicken. She kept him away from things that caused him his hives and was really careful whenever she introduced anything new, before 2pm and in small portions. This went on until he hit puberty and everything settled down and he was left with his main allergies. He still hasn't tried some of his "grey" areas (things he tested postive for when he was little but tested negative for when he was 18) but we are slowly doing that right now. Last summer we did sunflowers and nothing happened! This year he is trying fish with his dad. So I can personally tell you (I grew out of a horrible nut allergy) that it does get better as they get older. Also we both have asthma and it has never limited us in what we do. My asthma is much more severe than my FI's and I have taken a longer time to control it but that is because members of my family thought it was psychosomatic and denied me access to professionals. I have finally seen professionals and got on the right type of inhalers and I haven't been to emger in 3 years now. I have even climbed a mountain! Speaking as someone who personally knows and have personally gone through the things you are concerned about, it does get better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:30 pm 

I really appreciate your replies :) . Thank you. I feel a little better already just knowing we're not alone. Thank you for your advice and kind words.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:59 pm 

No advice, but I'm sorry to hear of your son's new allergies. He has quite a lot to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm 

Thank you Helen. I appreciate your reply and concern. I know you have a lot to deal with as well, so I know you can understand a parents concern for their child's health. Fortunately, our son has the most amazing positive attitude, so this has brought him, and the rest of our family to a better place in dealing with this health issues. He has other health issues as well, but he is an incredible person that I know can deal with this. My husband and I worry a lot, but we always put forth a positive attitude with our children.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 am 

Hi Julie, I was wondering how your son is doing this week? Has he had any more reactions to new foods....the kiddie pool?
I hope he is feeling better....and I'm glad to hear you are feeling a bit better also. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:07 am 

BC2007, Thank you for your concern. Our son is having a good week. No new reactions. He seems completely unaffected by what happened. We've told him that we are going to try canned peaches and pears, so he is happy to be trying something new. He's quite a foodie, despite all his food allergies. I am expecting that he will react to other fruits related to pollen allergies, so we are staying away from nectarines and plums, for now. It's such a shame, because he really loves fruit, but he can still eat strawberries, grapes, oranges, bananas, cantelope and honeydew, as well as applesauce. Last summer he could tolerate 5 cherries, but not 6. His allergist said for us to continue giving him the fruit he can tolerate. Things have changed this summer, so I am expecting cherries may be a bigger problem this year, so we have not given him any cherries... yet. He is so disappointed if he discovers he can't eat a particular food, so we are sticking with the ones we know are safe. We are still investigating if he is allergic to basil and oregano due to the problem he has been having this past while (this can also be in the oral allergy umbrella of problem foods). It may be the source of basil that was a problem, so I now have McCormick brand to try. But we really need to be in the right frame of mind to try this out, and I want our son to know what we are doing. Now that he is 8, and because he is a very positive thinker, I want him to be involved in the investigation of whether a food is safe or not. His reaction to basil/oregano has been a very upset stomach, with no other symptoms.

Well, everyone on this forum is going through their own struggles with their own situation. I am grateful to be able to talk with others, share information, and give & receive support when needed. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am 
Site Admin

I too have (undiagnosed) Oral Allergy Syndrome to apples and cherries as well as an allergy to birch pollen. You may find that he does better with cooked or peeled apples and cooked cherries (whose gonna peel those?)

I'm glad that he is willing to try new foods. I hope he continues to be reaction free.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 am 

Cooking "tree fruit" ( apples, pears, cherries, peaches, plums etc.) works for my friend.

Hope things are looking a little brighter. :huggy It's hard for people not dealing with this to fully understand to extent of the 24/7 stress we go through. Part of what I find hard is that situations in which parents find stress relief in their daily life just cause me more stress ( getting together with others always seems to involve food) or are not really an option for us ( getting a babysitter for time alone or time with your partner).