You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 am 

I follow Chef Smith on twitter because I am a huge, HUGE food nerd. Anyways, I was doing my daily twitter readings and was shocked to read:

chefMICHAELsmth:
Lunenberg> just got thrown out of Magnolias for respectfully trying to accommodate severe allergies at our table, told kitchen too busy!

He later updated about an hour later,

chefMICHAELsmth
Lunenberg> enjoying an absolutely amazing meal at Fleur de Sel> lots of local flavours> one of Canadas best restaurants!

I am glad to hear that at least him and his guest(s) got a good meal but I just wanted to pass that along.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am 

Was he cooking at the time or out eating??? Either way, no matter how busy a restaurant is they have a responsibility to provide safe food. Otherwise as an adult how would a person with allergies ever go out for dinner - at dinner time? I don't think they want to eat our at 11am like when we've taken our son out!!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 am 

I know this won't be popular to say, but a restaurant is not the controlled environment that a food manufacturing/processing plant is. To suddenly be expected to make the necessary changes required for food allergies when they are at their busiest is an unreasonable request. Better to be honest and say it's not possible rather than say yes, try, and hope for the best.

It doesn't mean adults can't go out for dinner, but it does mean arrangements should be made in advance.

(I may need that *hiding under a chair* smilie for this post. )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 pm 

No Anna-Marie, I don't think you should hide, you are absolutely right!! I just can't imagine in every single situation an adult is able to pre-arrange and contact a restaurant. I'm sure that if you call ahead 9/10 times some occasion may arise where you go impromptu to a restaurant. In the event of a last minute dinner I would hope that most restaurants would be able to accomidate even if it was something very basic the allergic person was able to eat.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm 

I am just going to throw a devil advocate argument out there but if allergies are starting to be considered a disability in most provinces shouldn't people be accommodating? Regardless of whether or not arrangements were made in advance? I would like to add that if Chef Smith is make a bit of a fuss (as someone who KNOWS a kitchen better than you or I) then I tend to believe there was something to make a fuss about. I mean, no one would dare throw my quadriplegic cousin out of a restaurant because they didn't have enough room to seat his wheelchair.

AnnaMarie wrote:
I know this won't be popular to say, but a restaurant is not the controlled environment that a food manufacturing/processing plant is. )

As someone who has worked and has friends working at a food processing plant, they are not as controlled as you would like to believe. *shutter* gross...hahah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

I am intrigued tabout who in his party has the allergy. :popcorn

If the restaurant was too busy, was it an appropriate time to go? Obviously the other restaurant was able to accomodate them so perhaps the timing was not an issue.

The way he phrased it, "thrown out" is interesting...I really want to know more.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
I am intrigued tabout who in his party has the allergy. :popcorn

If the restaurant was too busy, was it an appropriate time to go? Obviously the other restaurant was able to accomodate them so perhaps the timing was not an issue.

The way he phrased it, "thrown out" is interesting...I really want to know more.

That is why I posted it. The wording was what really got to me. They didn't say they left, they said they got thrown out. I mean that is some strong wording. Lots of questions, not enough answers, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 pm 

That's kind of funny because I don't expect any restaurant to make accomodations for my daughter with all her allergies, though she is still quite young. I couldn't imagine just going in and expecting them to whip something up really quickly, i'd be so worried if they tried. I love our local st. hubert takeout because their kids meal comes with a guardian angel cupcake for dessert, and she LOVES that! They make sure the chicken hasn't touched anythign else in the kitchen, and box it seperate from the fries/sauce and bun.. Never even a hive, and we've done it 3 times in a pinch.