You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:27 am 

Hello everyone,

So I've never been formally tested (largely due to my mother having a horrible scratch test experiance when she was a child) but its pretty obvious I have some combination of intollerance/sensativity/allergy...just not the same set as mom ;)

So now I'm an adult, sadly without health insurence, and I need to be tested for real.

I appear to have a dangerous sensativity to the HEATING of one or more cooking oils that are used with some fudges, nuts, and popcorn. And by dangerous I mean dizziness, nausea, headache, vertigo, progressive weakness, coughing, tunnel vision...I suppose I could have forced diagnosis at some point by staying near this stuff until I collapsed on the floor but a doctor's office seems a lot safer :)

So how do I find affordable testing (illinois) and an allergist who thinks outside the box enough to test cooking oils along with the more mundane stuff?

Michele
Michele

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 pm 

Welcome Michele,
It have no advise or helpful tips, just wanted to let you know I hope it all works out for you. Good luck! :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi Michele, I would suggest you google allergy support groups in Illinois to find one near you. They might be able to help you navigate the health care system.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:05 am 

Thank you both for the greetings. I tried googling support groups in illinois but I can't see every web page properly on this phone...that may be why I've had no luck finding the right sort of group. I will try again when I get home from work. And try and get some kind of signature up as well ;)

I figured you should all know I was reading and appreciating your responces...and that most of the time I'm reading and posting from a phone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Ooh...that's hard! :freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:40 pm 

Finally on a real computer here and I have a bit of good news :)

I've been making a lot of phone calls and I found a local allergist who tests chemical as well as food and is willing to work outside of insurence for a halfway reasonable fee/payment plan. It will still be costly but having zero diagnostics ever done is not a good thing.

We are going to start with the food panel and she is calling the lab to see if cottonseed oil can be added to the panel (A strong suspect for at least part of my problem)

A procedural question should I list my self-diagnosed/suspected allergies in my signature or wait for the official test results?

It is just such a relief to FINALLY be doing somethin about this

Michele

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:46 am 

Quote:
A procedural question should I list my self-diagnosed/suspected allergies...

Hi Michele, if there are foods you suspect I would let the allergist know. Otherwise he/she is starting blind and many end up testing (therefore , costing$$) many many extra foods until the culprits can be found. You can just say you aren't sure but you can pinpoint some symptoms of reactions after eating ___, _____ and _____. Let the allergist know that you aren't sure if it was the exact food, a hidden ingredient or cross contamination causing the reactions but that you believe these foods are somehow related to your reactions. The allergist may be able to narrow down to a more suitable testing group which hopefully will give you a firm diagnosis.
I hope you are able to discover the culprits, it is better to know what to avoid and what you are allergic to than be in limbo and not sure what to eat or stay away from.
Good luck, glad you found and allergist! :thumbsup

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:41 am 

Actually it was my signature on here I was asking about ;) Although telling the doctor everything I suspect is a good idea and pretty much talked the doctor's assistant's ear off yesterday :)

Since I'm kinda doing this in two threads (will try to answer susan over there later today...but have work inless then an hour) I'll put the full list here for you folks here and go into detail on the one that actually has me scared on the other thread k...if nothing else you are all helping me "rehearse" for the real doctor meeting :)

The conversation with the doctor's office yesterday (3rd office I tried) actually went much better then I expected, i.e. they think my issues are for real <whew> and I admit being thought crazy or to be faking is something I worry about with unusual allergies...I promise all of you I'm not making this up or trying to get attention.

Over the course of attempted self conducted testing this is what I do and do not know.

I am NOT allergic to cats that would be Mom and her assumptions, nor do I appear to have any animal allergies whatsoever.

I am allergic to dust, mold, and various delightful things that end up in office buildings <sigh> and hense live off otc meds to get by on a daily basis.

Sunlight makes me sneeze

I am allergic to cigarettes (respiratory symptoms) and wood pencils (respiratory/nosebleeds...every year during standardized testing from all the No 2 pencils in one room

I have a clinic diagnosis of mild Asthma and an inhaler I use occasionally and a nebulizer I use anytime I get a bad cold.

Cilantro tastes like soap, metal, and plastic - probably not an allergy but possiblely useful info for the hunt.

I have at least food intolerances but have never had a "typical" allergic reaction to EATTING anything.

However I do have a VERY SEVERE reaction to just being around certain things cooking. This is believed to be one or more cooking oils that I am highly sensative to breathing while they are heated (see thread on atypical anaphylaxis? under other topics with further details by sometime tomarrow). Current suspects cottonseed oil (which is strangely not part of a standard food allergy panel), soybean oil, coconut oil, palm oil, corn oil....or maybe just blended oils in general.

I suspect that I do react to this stuff while eatting it but its in the air that I have the biggest problem...whatever happens chemically when it is heated.

And I swear this one is real and I know it sounds crazy. I also react to "Something" in tap water with at least a severe intolerance (over-salivating, drooling, nausea, stomach pain) probably a chemical. I've learned the hard way to never put ice in a beverage. I've even had problems with resteraunt tea and pop at times. I learned this all the hard way and have been slowly testing bottled waters to find out which ones are safe to drink.

Do I have the strangest set of concerns you have ever seen or only in comparison to the "normal" world?

Michele :thanksign for listening

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Aw Michele, you can choose to have a signature or not-not everyone makes one. I think what you have is fine for now.
Signatures are helpful as terms of reference but they are not mandatory.