You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:43 pm 

If anyone can point me to a reliable source of information, my friend would appreciate it! Here is her questions to me:

"A few years ago I went to get my tubes tied but the anaesthetist wouldn't put me under because of my exercise induced anaphylaxis. I have tried getting referrals or info but only get roadblocks. I just need to know if general anaesthetic is contraindicated with exercise induced anaphylaxis."

Anyone?

Thanks,
Carolyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

That's pretty specific - haven't heard of, but doesn't mean there isn't something to it.

Want to send it into editor@allergicliving.com and we'll send it to Drs. Waserman and Watson?
Wouldn't get answered till Winter issue, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:30 pm 

That's a good idea, Gwen - I'll ask her if she wants to forward her question to Dr. Waserman, et al. :)

I think a more broad question might be if any history of risk for anaphylaxis counts as a potential contraindication of general anaesthetic, rather than just exercise-induced ana? The question hasn't arisen here since my daughter has never had surgery but I wonder...

Meanwhile, I've suggested that my friend ask her allergist for a copy of the report that gives more detail on her exercise-induced ana. so she has something to show her ob/gyn. She figures at this point she could have another baby in the time in takes to get answers - she's been hitting roadblocks for quite a while now!

Thanks,
Carolyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 am 

Exercise induced anaphylaxis is often due to an unknown allergen-maybe that is why the anaethetist was reluctant? I deal with anaesthetic drugs in my line of work and its never come up as a contraindication.Anaphylaxis is not a contraindication to general anaesthetics-there are a variety of different drugs that can be used for those with different allergies.=cheers

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 am 

Our son has had 2 surgeries, stomach surgery and ear tubes, both using general anesthetic. Talking about general anaphylaxis and not exercise enduced anaphylaxis there was no concern as far as anestheisia. Trust me, I called our allergist's office myself and asked if there was any possible side effect due directly to his allergies which we should be concerned about.
Like Caz mentioned, could it be due to the unknown possibility of allergens the surgeons were reluctant? The flip side of this is that anyone could potentially have unknown allergens (medications etc.) and that would mean they would be reluctant to perform any surgeries on anyone.
C.B., Very confusing for your friend, I really hope she is able to get some clear answers from her Dr.'s.. Seems they've left her with more questions than answers.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish