* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

A friend of mine in Alberta writes of her teenage son:

Quote:
My son is at a lifeguarding course and the instructor said it was "illegal" to give someone an epipen.

She will be having a word, but yowza - that is so not true.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:10 pm 

My two oldest worked as lifeguards. Part of their first aid training included how to give an epi-pen. Once trained they were allowed to give it.

The oldest eventually took the course to teach the first aid course. At that time epi training was optional. He always included it- even if nobody taking the course cared whether it was included or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup :thumbsup for your guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:53 am 

I just don't get it. I assume any talk we've all heard about someone not willing 'allowed' :roll: to use an epipen (bus drivers, lifeguards etc.) is all liability based. But what doesn't make sense to me is that you would never NOT do CPR because you were worried you might crack a rib and puncture a lung, you would never leave someone drowning in a pool because it was in a neighbors yard and 'what if' you were seen as trespassing. Giving and epipen is a life saving measure, what's that legal term for covering your butt to aid someone in a life and death situation, the good samaritan law???
If I can't trust that every life guard, at every beach and pool will save an allergic person's life then a very fake sense of security has been set in place.
Just another :dungetit !!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:37 am 

My youngest has been taught that as soon as he goes to a pool he is to show them his epi-pen and tell them he is allergic to insects. He's now old enough to be at the pool without me, but it's been his "job"to tell them for several years.

I've never had one ask what it is, or say they don't know how or are not allowed to administer. some do ask me specifics about what bugs and is it always an Ana reaction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:36 pm 

I find that odd as I used to be a lifeguard as well, and never in my training were we told not to give an epi-pen. Especially if the person is wearing a medic alert bracelet and had the epi-pen, we were told to give it. They said "better to be safe than sorry" in the case of an allergic reaction. We were told if we weren't sure, to put the epi-pen in their hand and "assist them" in taking it by putting our hand over theirs to inject it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 am 

This topic reminded me of a question I had recently.
What do you do with your kids epi-pen when you take them swimming.

I still go in the water with my son. I’ve left it in the locker, but I was worried the whole time that it would be too far away or I wouldn’t be able to open the lock if I needed it.

Suggestions? What have you done? Leave it at lifeguard station?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 pm 

Hi Frevic, I had the exact same question a year or so ago. It is in the Parents and Toddler thread titled Swimming and the Epipen. What I ended up doing was going to the lifeguard station and leaving an a small bag with them. On a luggage tag I clearly wrote our son's name, his allergies and that there was an epipen/inhaler inside the bag. Those are the only things I put in the bag.
After I talked to the head lifeguard I was very pleasantly surprised that he then went and talked to each life guard on duty and in turn they all came to me and let me know that they were aware of our son's allergies and where his epipen was being kept. The lifeguard station has a glass window to the pool, I could see the bag through the glass on their counter while in the pool which was very reassuring also.
I had been very worried about what to do with his epipen while in the pool as pool has a seating area (inside the pool) where a window goes though to the community center concession. Peanut/nut products are sold there and can be eaten poolside in the deck chairs :frightened :frightened. The irony of this isn't lost on me as the community center runs many day camps in the summer and before after school camps during the year all of which are peanut free?? :dungetit
I was very impressed with the pool staff and was completely comfortable with my bad in their supervisor station.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 pm 

Thanks that helps!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm 

The first time I took DS to his lesson, I left his epipen pouch with the lifeguard, but then we almost forgot to get it back, so I decided to get a waterproof plastic case, attach a ribbon to it, and wear it around my neck while I was in the pool with him. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442283485&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302700553&bmUID=1280437518366 It's a bit cumbersome, but it looked sturdier than the flexible one they also had for cell phones, etc. Another option I thought about was to put the epipens into a ziploc bag with all the air squeezed out, then into a waist pouch like the kozy epi, and then just wash/dry the kozy when you get home.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:20 pm 

Alison's mom,
Quote:
I decided to get a waterproof plastic case, attach a ribbon to it, and wear it around my neck while I was in the pool with him

I like that idea, especially for swimming at the lake etc.. We don't go far from the shore as he can't get his ears submerged but I know I'd feel more comfortable with his epipen on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:29 pm 

I remember my lifeguard friends in high school were all trained NOT to give the epipen. It shocked me too because, like BC2007, I thought it was along the same lines as doing CPR even if you risk cracking ribs. I remember telling them that if they were faced with that situation, they should just give it because they could save someone's life!! Ah, why are allergies always some sort of exception to the rule??