You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:40 pm 

What a great idea saskmommy! (allergic kids' daycare) Would there be a lot of demand for it in your city do you think?

I also work at home as a graphic designer ; I also teach a little bit (figure skating and music - did a lot more before I had kids) and am going to University part-time to finish my education degree - previously did a degree in music. Oh, and a mother of two. :lol: Enough jobs for ya? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:07 am 

SASKMOM, I think that if there were any kids that would come it would be a success. If 4% (the most recent figure I've heard) of children under 5 have allergies that is one in 25. That is a lot of little ones that do not necessarily have access to safe preschool. I would prefer preschool, and not offer a snack at all...to keep the classroom safe. My daughter is fine with breakfast at 8:15, and lunch at 11:45. There would be no junk food party days etc.

Even if there are 5 kids in the class, it would be a success. I'm sure that there would be more that would appreciate a snack free preschool...even if they do not have allergies because a lot of parent provided snacks are junk food. Parents seem to be in competition with each other to bring the "cool" snack. My 4 year old also refuses to eat breakfast or lunch on school days because of her 10:00 snack (she brings her own each day).

It is my idea for the future, long term. Right now I have my hands full with two allergic daughters and baking, cooking and baking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:41 pm 

I am a Computer Engineer, but right now my allergies and other disabilities are trying to force me out of the work force. :(

Guess I need to further work on a work from home model in my specialty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:35 pm 

I have a BSc in Biology (love science)...worked for a few years in Cancer Research ...married, had 4 kids....allergic/asthmatic kids !!! ....so have driven school bus for 17 years, initially to keep my kids out of daycare situations but now really enjoy driving special needs kids. Currently help my husband in our business....and have my own business dealing in wellness products/helping people rid their homes ot toxins.....which is related to my allergic/asthmatic kids. Been there, done that...know how indoor pollution can increase sickness....not going back to that. I work out of my home in spare time and get a monthly cheque whether I work previous month or not.....pretty good!!! We are healthier past 10 yrs than ever before and plan on staying that way! :D