You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:58 am 

Ok this is actually a follow up to my travelling to Toronto post. But does any one have any ideas regarding the best ways to keep precooked food frozen from Calgary to Toronto. I am thinking of cooking chicken breasts then freezing them before we leave, just not sure how to keep them frozen. My son will be very active and I need to somehow get protein in him while we are away.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:49 am 

We have flown that distance and a bit several times this year. I use grocery bag from Shopper's Drug Mart that zips shut and is lined to keep foods colder. This counts as one carryon piece. I also have sandwich containers which have lids that can be put in the freezer. I put the sandwich and most perishable food in it and pack it on the bottom of the Shopper bag. I also bake lots of safe cookies, mffins and banana bread for snacks and breakfast at our destination. These taste fine frozen and help keep other items fresher.

My daughter still reminds me of the time I froze her sandwich for the trip. It did not thaw by the time she wanted to eat.

Your trip should be under 5 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:27 am 

I've read your post in another section, so kudos to you taking on this challenge. I don't have a suggestion for keeping food frozen, rather, a suggestion for alternate sources of safe protein. Have you considered the following: canned ham, canned flaked chicken (PC has a good one), canned Chunky soup - Prime Rib with vegetables is a good hearty soup much like a stew. Can you bring a rice cooker? A rice cooker can be used to cook rice (of course), but can also heat soup or steam vegetables. You could bring (or buy) tortillas for sandwiches, buy ham slices, and use rice cakes for sandwiches. When we travel, we bring along pre-measured rice for our rice cooker. Are there any other cans of products you could use for a 10 day trip? Beans, perhaps? We cannot eat beans ourselves, but they might work for you. I'm sure your 2 boys will eat a lot while you're gone, so you will probably need to shop. When is your trip?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Why don't you purchase an electric frying pan (skillet) to use in Toronto? You can fry, bake, boil and steam in it!
Cook books to get you started:
http://www.amazon.ca/Fear-frying-James- ... rbpea00-20

http://www.amazon.ca/One-Pot-Wonders-Ja ... 062&sr=8-2

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:17 pm 

Great tip Susan! That one appliance would really help.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:31 pm 

Great ideas everyone! I did buy the small george foreman grill yesterday thinking that would be good for cooking meat and my neighbour told me she also makes grilled cheese sandwiches in it. I never even thought of the electric frying pan. We have an old one...maybe I could bring it and just leave it behind if storage is tight. Perfect! Soring the frozen food in that bag is a good idea thanks...I was planning on bringing frozen muffins etc any ways...now I will use them to my advantage for cold storage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Any one pot meal can be made in an electric skillet. You can even cook spaghetti if you lay it down.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:33 pm 

When my girlfriend lived in a bachelor suite and had only a microwave etc. we used the base from one of those popped corn makers which has the hot plate on the bottom to cook food. She'd make everything from stir fry to grilled cheese on that thing. :D
I was given the same style of one a year ago as a gift, I've never used it for popped corn but saved it just for the hot plate. I figure if we ever go somewhere and I don't have much room to pack I can bring it along and make DS some kind of food on it.

Susan your idea of an electric skillet is really good. That couple inch lip on the sides would be ideal as you said for a small batch of pasta, K.D. etc..
Great tip.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 am 

If your destination has a microwave, it is possible to make pasta that way provided you have a microwave safe bowl.
I have a small kettle that is supposed to be safe to cook soup and other items. The heating element is not exposed. Found it at Save-On Foods.
I try to travel as lightly as possible with just carryon because I don't like to wait for the luggage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 pm 

i bring this cooler as a carry on:

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/

It really does keep things colder for longer than a regular cooler. Plus it looks like regular luggage. (I have two silver ones---I quite like them.)

I froze some of my food + used frozen cranberries as an ice pack. Problem: you can end up trying to chow down on frozen food, but at least it is food, and it is better than getting salmonella poisoning. :)