You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is it Law?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:01 pm 

Does anyone know what the law is for labeling in Canada exactly?

Does a company have to state the "may contain" on their product? Or processed in a facility that also produces other "nut products".

Also if it is law, when did it come in effect?

If there is no "may contain" should I assume that it is safe?

:scratchy

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Is it Law?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:57 pm 

I'm not sure of the exact law but there are many many ways I've seen may contains written, VERY confusing!!! I would never assume a product is safe it it has no may contain warning. I always call companies which have no may contain warning and several times it turns out top allergens are processed on the same lines, in the same bakery etc. but as it isn't an 'ingredient' these companies don't label :frightened .
I know there was a huge study done last year regarding labelling in Canada, I'm sure Susan or Gwen are up to date on the issue. Labelling confusion is one of my biggest pet peeves dealing with allergies.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:43 pm 

But if they say may contain egg... would you then assume that it’s made in a peanut free facility?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

"May contain...", "produced in a facility that also ..."these types of statements are called precautionary statements and are voluntary.

According to Health Canada,
Quote:
The current policy on precautionary labelling of prepackaged foods was set in 1994 and allows for precautionary statements to be made by food manufacturers and importers on a voluntary basis. There is no required wording for these voluntary precautionary statements, only that they be truthful, clear and non-ambiguous, and that they not be a substitute for Good Manufacturing Practices.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/ad ... 76-eng.php

I have heard of items being labeled as "may contain" for one of the top 9 priority allergens but not another which, as it turns out, it very well might have contained.

Your best bet is to contact the company, ask questions and enqiure as to their precautionary statement policy. Once you have a good understanding of a companies policy, you can start to make decisions but check periodically as this too can change.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm 

frevic wrote:
But if they say may contain egg... would you then assume that it’s made in a peanut free facility?

I used to. I don't anymore. I contacted a company and discovered that they put the warning for something else, but not for peanuts. Now, I verify with the company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:49 pm 

I'm bad with this some times and have been lucky. I call up when I am in doubt, I know some companies I trust, and don't usually call unless I have some doubt, but sometimes it is an afterthought. I'm still pretty new at this, and it's pretty tricky to figure out!