You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:43 am 

Our family has been dealing with allergies, roughly, since our daughter was about 4 months old. She is now 22.

First, allergies to antibiotics started, sulpha, penicillin, amoxicillin, Augmentin, and the list goes on and on.

Then, the dreaded Latex allergy. (Do you know that almost every bra and underpant made in this country - no, in this world has Spandex in it!!!) Which evolved into the Latex-fruit allergy. Bananas - who would ever think that touching a banana would end up in an ER visit for anaphalaxis? After that, well, then came, nuts, vanilla, green food coloring, lanolin, oh, it just goes on and on. Now, it seems that milk is causing problems, but the alternative of soy, well supposedly that is a potential problem too. And, now, I have read somewhere, something about sunflower oil having 'latex-like- properties. Sunflower oil is in rice milk, do we even dare try it?

So, here I am, hoping to get a better education of what the deal is with this allergic world we all seem to be living in.

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 am 

VBR Welcome!! WOW, your daughter has had a lot to deal with growing up. You mentioned she was 22 now, I assume that means there was almost zero allergy support (or belief) for your entire family as she grew up. Sometimes when I am frustrated now with the lack of allergy awareness I remember that not so long ago families dealing with allergies were so scattered and unheard of in general that they must have felt very isolated. All the work and advocating you did for your daughter helped pave the way for those families now dealing with allergies. :thanksign

How does your daughter find coping with her allergies now being a young adult?
Lisa (from the forum, also 22) might be a great person to chat with her.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am 

Hello and welcome VBR!
I am the "Lisa" that BC2007 mentioned. It sounds like you guys have had quite a few challenges but if there is one place you will find support/ideas/advice it's here! This forum is filled with people of all ages and all walks of life with all types of allergies. But the one thing that unites us is that we understand each other and we know what it's like to feel angry, frustrated, sad, etc. because of allergies and the obstacles that come with them.

I had to go dairy-free for 4 years. Natura Rice Milk uses canola oil, not sunflower. Honestly, I can have dairy now but I still drink this rice milk!! It's really good and enriched with vitamins and calcium.

Where do you guys live? I'm in Montreal. I would be happy to talk to your daughter if she needed someone who understands what it's like to have life-threatening allergies AND be 22 years old. You can private message me if you want and we can exchange emails if she is interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

VBR- Welcome! I'm sorry that your daughter is continuing to develop allergies. Is she seeing an allergist?

Check out the various boards to find how others are coping with specific allergies.

You've successfully navigated the toddler, school, teen years so this should be an easier time but...I suspect this is the age that children really start to become independant leaving home and getting jobs etc. I can imagine that this brings with it a whole new set of worries.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb