You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:26 pm 

We are hoping to fly to Germany in the fall with our 6 year old who has peanut/nut allergy. there are not many options for who to travel with (would love to travel Westjet but n/a) Looks like Air Canada or Air Berlin. anyone know of other airlines to fly to Munich?

I am trying to reasonably assess the risk to our son . we have travelled a great deal in N. America by plane but over the great big sea is another matter. Aside from wiping down the seats, asking for the buffer, bringing our own food and washing his hands constantly what else can i do? should i be this nervous? i feel more nervous after reading the incident report during flights on Allergic Living.....

and if we do go, can anyone recommend accomodation and restaurants in Paris that are allergy aware?
anything else i should be aware of going over to Europe? we have family in Germany that we will stay with and will be rented accom. in France. thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:18 pm 

France tends to use lupin/lupin flour in some of their foods so be on the lookout for it when checking ingredients. Research has shown that some people who are allergic to peanuts can react to lupin.

Food labelling rules require pre-packed food sold in the UK or the rest of the European Union (EU) to show clearly on the label if it contains lupin (or if one of its ingredients contains it).

My sister is currently on a trip to Europe (Italy, Germany and Austria) with my nephew who is allergic to peanuts and nuts as well. I gave her all the info on lupin. They are staying in accommodations with a kitchen. I will post again when she is back and let you know how it went. She did go to France a few years ago and everything was fine... and this was before she ever heard of lupin.

More info here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 092147.htm

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/ ... inallergy/

Last edited by Storm on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 am 

We are going to Austria on Monday. Flying with Air Transat....
Storm, it is good to hear your sister and her son made it safe ...which company did they fly with?
I am extremely anxious
We did fly overseas 8 years ago, my daughter was a baby, sitting in my lap, so I found she was safer then...
We are allergic to peanuts all nuts and eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:03 pm 

My sister and family are back from their trip to Europe. They mostly stayed in places with their own kitchens and they hardly ate out at all. My sister preferred cooking and says it was easier than dealing with the restaurants. She found all the labelling easy to understand and lupin was also listed in the list of allergens. They ate a big breakfast every morning, skipped lunch (my nephew would have some safe snacks brought from Canada) and then cook dinner.

They did not have a kitchen in Fussen, Germany so they shopped at the grocery store and bought "cold" foods (cold cuts, cheese, tomatoes) to eat for a few days. They brought their own plastic plates and cutlery.

They flew Air Canada (crew made the announcement on the way there but refused on the way back). I'm not sure which country they flew to (it may have been Italy). They then drove between cities in Italy, Austria and Germany. It was a very positive experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:41 pm 

Thanks Storm! This was useful information.
My biggest hurdle right now is the flight itself - darn Air Canada if only they would be consistent with their policy of announcements, etc. we get a different answer every time we call and they do not instill any confidence. we are considering going British Airways as they seem to be more consistent. it will be a pain for transfers etc but my nerves will be intact!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:16 pm 

We have found Air Canada inconsistent as well. One time I just kept calling every few days until about the 4th time when the attendant gladly added our daughter's allergies to the manifest. Interestingly, any time that I have called about my severe motion sickness they add it immediately. I even get preferred seating --- they definitely seem more concerned with vomitting than anaphylaxis in my experiences.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 am 

We ended up going Air FRance and they were terrific! they spoke individually to every person 3 rows up and 3 rows back about my son's allergy and asked them not to consume any nut or peanut products. people were great! they asked me everytime they came around even if they could serve him water. they were on the ball. Also this airline does not serve peanuts or nuts or sell them on board. Great flight and so glad we did it as we were hesitant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:12 am 

walooet wrote:
We have found Air Canada inconsistent as well. ...they definitely seem more concerned with vomitting than anaphylaxis in my experiences.

Maybe we should make a bigger deal about vomiting being one of the symtoms of anaphylaxis? :roll: :banghead

TZ, I'm happy all went well for you. I understand when you say "over the big sea is different."
We've been hesitant to leave land as well. I'm scared of air born if they serve eggs for breakfast. It would be a heck of a time for a reaction..but maybe soon to the Philippines. :banana

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 am 

For anyone who travelled to Paris --- we were told that Nutella is widely used there. Wondering if anyone noticed that?

My teenager is going to Paris with her school and will be staying within Paris for the week at the same hotel. She will not be able to cook anything.

Do the bakeries use tree nuts a lot? We are hoping that they have fresh bread that is safe so she could live on baquettes and cheese for the week...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:30 pm 

walooet wrote:

My teenager is going to Paris with her school and will be staying within Paris for the week at the same hotel. She will not be able to cook anything.

Do the bakeries use tree nuts a lot? We are hoping that they have fresh bread that is safe so she could live on baquettes and cheese for the week...

The bread baked in bakeries in France usually contain lupin/lupin flour. Maybe your daughter can find a toast bread or wrap that is safe. She will need to check the label.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm 

Thanks Storm. Earlier in the thread you said: Research has shown that some people who are allergic to peanuts can react to lupin.

Is that also for tree nut allergies? My daughter is fine with peanuts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:58 pm 

Lupin is a legume belonging to the same plant family as the peanut. If your daughter is only allergic to tree nuts she doesn't need to worry about lupin.