You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:10 pm 

Quote:
If allergies run in the family, the best way to avoid milk or other food allergies from developing is to breastfeed your infant exclusively for the first 6 to 12 months. The longer you can restrain from feeding the child other foods, the better it will be for his immune system to develop. The development of allergen-specific immune responses is influenced by exposure to allergens early in life.

Full story.

What do you think?

Post subject: Seems to Work
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:15 am 

My wife has had a large number of food allergies, including anaphylactic ones. She breastfed my son through his first year and delayed food until past 6 months. He's six now and hasn't had any allergies (knock on wood). Hopefully, this works for our daughter as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:28 pm 

That's great to hear! Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:35 pm 

Just speaking from personal experience here. No one in our families has a food allergy. I am hypoglycemic (irregular insulin levels) and therefore to keep up my protien throughtout my pregnancy and breastfeeding I was increasing my intake of nuts and peanut butter. Pretty sure there is co-relation between that and my sons peanut/nut allergy.
The second time around I avoided peanut/nuts through the pregnancy and breastfeeding. We are yet to learn for sure if the youngest is allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:02 pm 

My Mom could not breasfeed past 2 weeks because she had no more more milk. Maybe that's why I have all those allergies. So I would have to agree with the original quote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:29 pm 

I breastfed my second child for 12 months. The first 8 months, breast milk was all he had, the following 4 months I supplemented ONE bottle a day and the rest was breast milk. He is allergic to peanuts, milk, and egg! I breastfed my first child for about 4 to 5 months and she has no allergies! There is no family history of food allergies in our families. The breatfeeding to avoid allergies did not work for us but if the statistic show that is how it is, then I guess my family, unfortunately, is in the minority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:22 am 

I want to ask a question about siblings. My daughter Piper is 3 (almost 4) months old and I'm wondering what the likelyhood of her having allergies is. When she was only a day old, we were still at the hospital, she was covered in hives. They said it was more than likely from the detergent they used on the baby clothes at the hospital and that the hives would go away... they did when I had my husband bring me clothes from home that I had washed for her. Now she gets patches of exema (spelt right?) which I know can indicate a higher risk for allergies (Josh had exema too and very sensitive skin). I've asked my family doctor and he doesn't really know (said he would look into it) and the allergist never phones me back when I phone with questions so I thought I would throw it out there. I plan on breastfeeding her exclusively till shes 6 months (I did Josh exclusive till he was five months... he was breastfed until he was nine months) and I know that is supposed to help but I have no idea when to introduce the "major" allergens to her when she does start eating... do I hold off longer because Josh does have a bad allergy or do I do it at the normal times?
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:46 am 

Hi Robin. They say exzema/allergies go hand in hand. Before I knew my son had allergies (peanuts, milk and eggs) as a infant/baby he would get red patches on his face that would come and go, mentioned this to the doctor as well and just told to be some mild cortisone on it. I believe I read before (but not 100%) that even though your child is not allergic to the breast milk, if you eat or drink something regularly that they are allergic to it can come out in your breastmilk. Even though this was never confirmed for me, I think the milk I drank while breastfeeding someway affected my son with his excema and being colic. The eczema did go away thankfully. It probably is because he has nothing in his diet that contain even a trace of milk, egg or peanuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:09 pm 

Oh Bev... three different allergies! That sucks.
The red patches on the face were what Josh got too. Now Piper gets the same ones. If she does get an allergy I'm keeping my fingers crossed for eggs LOL At least then I know what I'm doing. I think I'll be more careful with what I eat from now on just incase it does effect the breastmilk. Thanks for the suggestion... I'm big on peanut butter sandwiches... I'll skip out on those now.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:29 pm 

I was not able to bf either of my boys :( I do wonder if that had anything to do with Jared's allergies, or the fact that I practically lived off pb when I was pregnant with him. There isn't any family history of food allergies, so I had no idea that I should have been avoiding it. Talk about a big case of mommy guilt. With Will's pregnancy I avoided all nuts (which is a usual thing for us now because of Jared) but I did splurge two times while at work and had a skiff of pb on toast for lunch. Jared always had sensitive skin/ eczema as a baby and still does. Now Will also has it, on his face hands, legs. I think his is actually worse than Jared's ever was so I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to see if he'll have allergies too. It really started to flair up when he started on baby food so I wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:36 pm 

Bev...I've often debated those things too.
However, I breastfed my first for 5 mos, and gave the occas bottle after 2 mos. She has the dairy, egg and nut allergies.
My next child I breastfed exclusively for 12 mos. When I gave him occas bottle is was "hypoallergenic" formula (Nutrimegen & Alimentum). He has no allergies at all!!!

Was it because I breastfed?? Who knows... but if I ever had another :? I'd do it again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:54 pm 

Terri: I honestly don't think breastfeeding makes a huge difference... it may help but I don't think it will prevent it completely, although I too carry Mommy guilt over Josh's allergy on the off chance I caused it by not avoiding the main allergens while I was pregnant and breastfeeding. The things we beat our selves up over huh?

As for no history of food allergies.. I was told by the allergist that ANY history of allergies whether they be seasonal or food or something else is an indicator for allergies... it just might present differently in each person. Both David and I have seasonal allergies (as do both sets of our parents) but no history of food allergies. Josh just happened to get the yucky end of the stick with his egg allergy.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:38 pm 

Even though I breastfed my son for the first six months, I believe he would have had his allergies regardless because when I started him on cereal with a bit of formula (milk based) to it, he would have more red patches (excema over his face mainly mouth area. So just a bit affected him. I started supplementing about 6 months of age, one bottle a day. After a few weeks of this, one morning he had a 8 oz bottle and almost immediately he got hives (at the time, I didn't even know that they were hives) fever, coughing a little, flushed all over and his eyes were a little puffy. Took him to emerg. and it turned out he was allergic to dairy and got an epi-pen for it. I think in my case whether I breastfed or not, he would have his allergies.

Post subject: breastfeeding
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:52 pm 

There are allergies on both sides of the family, and my mother breastfed me and my two siblings---it didn't make any difference in our case. All of us have allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

No allergies in my famiy except hay fever. In dh's - cats.
Dd had exzema too, but I was told by other moms it was a teething rash.
She was alergic to milk the first time she came in contact with it at 10 months and she never had egg but was diagnosed during an allergy test. Oh, and she has asthma another thing that breast feeding is supposed to protect against.
I breastfed for 18 months. With in a few days of her being competely off the breast her exzema cleared up.
Oh yeah, she was given Prevnar and got ear infections. :roll:
I used to fee guilty that I caused her allergies but now I reaise that she is who she is and I can protect her only so far. Probably the allergies would be worse if I hadn't breastfed or she coud have had an anaphylaxic reaction to formula.
As parents we do the best we can.