You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:06 pm 

Hmm..... interesting. I've heard this before, but it still doesn't explain my son's allergy to milk - he WAS supplemented with Similac by the nurses in the hospital before my milk came in.

http://www.aftau.org/site/News2?page=Ne ... e&id=12547

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:25 am 

Doesn't explain my daughter either who was supplemented with formula after her birth as well because I was too ill to hold her for a few hours and apparently she got hungry (they asked apparently, but I don't remember saying yes - I was really out of it).. Her next exposure was at 4.5 months old (picked the wrong cereal by accident - a just add water cereal)..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Something to consider...
Quote:
Dr.Sharron Bransburg Zabary, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and researcher in the field of the immune system at Tel Aviv University, read and responded to the study. In an article on the Israeli site Walla, she points out flaws in the study’s data and methodology, and explains why its conclusions were so irresponsible.

The article looked at 13,000 births and analyzed data regarding the introduction of cow’s milk formula and subsequent dairy allergy. The data showed that only 0.5% of babies are allergic to cow’s milk, a much lower number than the one to three percent allergy rate reported in medical literature.

Below is my summary of Zabary’s main points:

1.The study is retrospective, based on self-reporting by the mothers weeks and months after the fact. Mothers needed to tell the researchers the date when the baby was first exposed to cow’s milk, and report on any allergic symptoms that occurred within a few days of the exposure. Data gathered from this type of study is always suspect, even more so here because the period after birth is so intense. Relying on post-partum mothers to report on allergy symptoms means that many milk allergies were likely missed, explaining the relatively low incidence of dairy allergy among the infants studied.
2.The study discarded data about exposure to cow’s milk formula in the hospital after birth. [MiI: The most recent data showed that 70% of Israeli babies receive formula in the hospital.] Babies who have received formula are no longer exclusively breastfeeding.
3.No correlation was found with known factors in the literature that increase the rate of dairy allergy. Factors include gender, birth by cesarean section, and genetics.
4.The study focused only on milk allergies, which are not generally life-threatening and usually pass by one year of age. Early exposure to cow’s milk and early weaning is also associated with many other health issues, including juvenile diabetes, chronic gastrointestinal illnesses, obesity, metabolic conditions, SIDS and even some types of cancers,. The effects of not breastfeeding continue long after infancy. The researchers did not address these concerns when giving a blanket recommendation to give all babies cow’s milk at a few days or weeks of age.
5.The study was funded, in part, by the Israel Milk Council. Anyone who markets cow’s milk has an interest in discouraging breastfeeding.

http://www.amotherinisrael.com/does-exc ... allergies/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb