You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Flashpoint
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 pm 

Was anyone watching Flashpoint last night (Fri Aug 6, 10pm on CTV)? The younger abducted child ate a muffin with almonds and was having an allergic reaction (evident to us parents) but not considered by the pharmacist. It was interesting to watch as it all happened very quickly, but erroneously the mother never bothered to tell the police her child had food allergies and was abducted without her epipen. I think after the preliminary information, that would have been high up on her priorities.

I found EMS was a little slow in moving the child to hospital after the needle made it all instantly better - but it provided a lot of time for dramatic conversations!

Post subject: Re: Flashpoint
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting.

Even with flaws, sounds like it didn't hurt from an awareness aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:51 pm 

The kids and I watched just happened to watch this show and talked alot while it was going on. I was saying "she's having an allergic reaction" right away having witnessed a few. We also wondered why the kids didn't say so right away and why she ate anyway and what about her medic alert bracelet and where's her epi pen and how come the pharmicist didn't know as we've always found them the best source of info...many, many questions and discussion. In the end, we were very happy that it showed how fast it happens and how fast medication helps. Maybe it will trigger some who haven't "got it" yet to get with it. At the very least it may have got a few people talking.

We all decided we would maybe watch this show again, and I may write, oops, e-mail CTV and thank them for helping spread the education. Canadian and good looking men too eh?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:34 pm 

I like Flashpoint, but missed this one.. darn.

Post subject: Big Bang Theory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:48 pm 

Monday August 9th at 9:30, the episode (rerun) included one of the characters not wanting to chat up the girls at the bar because they were eating peanuts - and it would impact his peanut allergy!

Maybe food allergies are getting to be the trendy thing on TV shows...

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 am 
Site Admin

bump

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:29 pm 

There was scene in the series Gravity recently.

keeping in mind this is a comedy about a support group for suicide survivors....it wasn't a show I would expect to be educational. But they actually handled it OK, in my opinion.

A woman eats something and starts reacting. Her husband runs to her purse and searches frantically for her epi-pen, which he can't find. Someone grabs her and carries her and carries her to a car and drives her to the ER. The next scene is the doctor talking to the husband and friends.

As they are leaving the hospital one of the guys invites one of the girls to his place because he's got a craving for peanut butter cookies. fits with the morbid humour of the show. But the actual reaction wasn't treated with humour, it was treated as a life threatening situation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:20 am 

This is a great thread.

I remember fondly watching "Katie and Orbie" with my DD when she was about three. It was really good when they visited w/a friend who was allergic to eggs. We did not know anyone with a problem like ours before, (except for Dad who "outgrew" and only stories from Nanna).

Ben Wicks and Leslie Nielsen - 2 great Canadians. I have been a fan of both for a long time.

Wasn't L. Nielsen's brother a polititian in Canada?

Michele

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:50 am 

His brother was Deputy Prime Minister.

I loved watching Katie & Orbie with my son when he was young. I don't remember one about allergies, but I can imagine them handling it well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_and_Orbie

Scroll down the Katie and Orbie link. it describes the characters on the show. It includes one with asthma, one with egg allergy, one with down's syndrome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:20 pm 

I can't think of any specific examples, but some of the ones mentioned are very upsetting (esp the PB/choking with laugh track).

As for stress hives, my kids would get a 'mad rash' when they were babies and be upset/crying. It wasn't just red from crying, since it would stick around, sometimes with a few hives, after they had calmed down. My family dr never really believed me, but hte stress/histamine response now makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:23 pm 

This is probably old news, but since the show just started airing in Canada ... it might not be! I was watching last week's episode of The United States of Tara. Their teenage son has an allergy to stings, and was helping his father (John Corbett ... yum! :wink: ) with a landscaping job. As soon as he was stung, the dad went ripping through the car looking for the Epipen (ummm... shouldn't be stored in the car), but the son yelled that it was in his school bag. The dad then seemed to properly administer it into the leg, holding it for a loud count of ten. The dad then got home and got a lecture from Mom (Toni Collette) about how he should have NOT taken their son out of school to help with a job, how he should NOT have lost the Epipen, etc. Overall a pretty good representation. But they didn't appear to take the boy to any hospital after the Epi.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm 

You know, since we had DD, we have met quite a few older people that have given themselves the epi and never gone to the hospital and didn't intent to in the future. I sure hope that works for them. We always tell them about how DD usually needs more medical attention once the epi wears off and how little egg it took for a bad reaction to happen- just a titch. I hope they all think about her and go to emergency next time.

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

OMG! Has anyone seen this ad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zuawofo3d4
:frightened :banghead
News flash for Zoosk (dating service)- Not cool! :verymad :verymad

I've sent my angry letter and advised my single friends to beware the type who would think this funny.

If you agree. you can write to them here: http://www.zoosk.com/support.php?from=footer

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:05 am 

:verymad Disgusting. Basically avoid totally those with allergies and the add clearly implied an attitude of
'what a hassle, gross, almost died in my living room' type of mentality :verymad
I did send them an email.

If they made this add about a man with a physical disability or someone who suffers diabetics or even obese people the public in general would be outraged. Allergies are just such an easy target and for some reason (to a portion of the population) an acceptable target?????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next